• Magglio Ordonez & Alex Rodriguez

Posted by on August 27th, 2007 · Comments (6)

Phil Allard notes that A-Rod and Mags are now tied in RCAA, to date, this season.

I just noticed that Magglio Ordonez has 24 “Go-Ahead Hits” (all hits where the team went from tied or behind to ahead, may have benefitted from errors) to date this year where Alex Rodriguez has 25 “Go-Ahead Hits” to date.

Pretty close, huh?

However, Ordonez has an OPS of .851 “with 2 outs & RISP” this season, so far. And, Rodriguez has a mark of 1.274 in the same spot. Also, Alex’s “Late & Close” OPS is 1.079 compared to Magglio’s .793 OPS in the same situation.

And, if you’re a fan of WPA, A-Rod has Mags there too: 5.69 to 5.09.

If the 2007 A.L. MVP was being named today, and it was between these two players, I think you have to give the edge to A-Rod (because of what he’s done in those “special” spots within a game).

Of course, how these two play in their team’s next (and last) 32 games will probably have a say in the matter as well.

Comments on Magglio Ordonez & Alex Rodriguez

1. rbj
      August 27th, 2007 | 2:00 pm

Just imagine how good A-Rod would be if he were “clutch”.

BTW, at the game yesterday at Comerica, there were about an equal number of #2s & #13s.

2. bobo
      August 27th, 2007 | 2:23 pm

I just have a really hard time giving it to someone on a team that doesn’t make the playoffs when there are viable contenders on the teams that do.

Players that I think I’d vote for over ARod:
      Guererro, Ichiro, Putz, Sizemore, possibly Ortiz.

Of, course, once the Yankees make up those 2.5 games, this will be moot.

3. August 27th, 2007 | 3:07 pm

I can’t agree with you, bobo, in your hesitancy to tap an MVP from a team that misses the playoffs.

Whether the Yankees make the playoffs depends upon a lot of factors – including how the other players on the team play and how other teams, like Seattle and Boston, do in the remainder of their schedule. None of that affects Alex Rodriguez’s value in the slightest. Without him the Yankees aren’t in a pennant race at all.

If you would prefer to give your (hypothetical) vote to one of those other guys because you think they’ve made more of a contribution to their team’s position than Alex has to his, that’s one thing. But penalizing Alex because the Yankees as a whole couldn’t catch Seattle or Boston is a little arbitrary, in my view.

4. Andrew
      August 27th, 2007 | 3:36 pm

Where does this hand-wringing come from, that the MVP *has* to be from a playoff team? The last several years the MVP has come from teams that have been in the playoffs, true, but when was the last time a deserving candidate was slighted simply because his team didn’t make the playoffs? Hell, Alex Rodriguez won his first MVP on a last-place Texas squad.

5. MJ
      August 27th, 2007 | 4:21 pm

Players that I think I’d vote for over ARod:
      Guererro, Ichiro, Putz, Sizemore, possibly Ortiz.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Ortiz, until this past weekend, was having a down year. Hard to imagine that he’d be on your short-list for potential AL MVP’s given how quiet he’s been in 2007.

6. bobo
      August 28th, 2007 | 11:20 am

ARod winning with Texas, Ripken in 91 – this are extremely rare cases.

Anyway, I know some people have different opinions and that’s fine – this is a debate that rages every year.

The way I look at is like this: “Where would the team be without the player?”

Without Guerrero, LA isn’t making the playoffs. Same for the other guys I mentioned. Only if there is no viable candidate at all on the teams making the playoffs, or possibly if the team has a massive (12+ game) lead, where one single player cannot make the difference between making the playoffs and not, do you look at candidates from non-playoff teams in my opinion.

Basically, the gap between “ARod put them in a playoff race” and “Suzuki got them to the playoffs” is massive, regardless of the stats.

Re: Ortiz – 2007 might look like a down year if you only look at his power numbers. His OBP (more important than slugging) is at career-high levels (and was during the first half too). Just because his HR are down and he’s driven less in doesn’t mean he’s less valuable. He’s been on base more and is on pace for a career high in runs.

The main reason why I say “possibly” is because of the lead the Red Sox have had all season.

Again, it’s fine if you disagree. Some people truly think the MVP means “best player”, but to me it doesn’t. I believe the wording of the award requirements support this too.