• August 28th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on August 28th, 2007 · Comments (12)

Good game. The loss means nada to the Red Sox. Still, to a Yankees fan, at least this one, it’s always fun to beat Boston, in a close game, at the Stadium. Plus, it keeps the Yankees tragic number at ten (for another day). This really was a fun one to watch – I wouldn’t even mind seeing it make a re-run some time over the winter on YES.

Speaking of YES, sure, they played the squirrel sitting on the foul pole thing to death this evening. But, maybe that little guy can become the Yankees version of Charley Lupica?

Speaking of reincarnations, can it be that Matsuzaka facing the Yankees, as a member of the Red Sox, might turn out the same as Contreras facing the Red Sox, as a member of the Yankees? Wouldn’t that be a kick?

Big game for some of the character guys on the team today: Pettitte was full of fire – storming off the mound in the fifth, and, getting pissed in the dugout after allowing the homer in the seventh. Posada got the clutch hit in the first. Jeter homered. Phillips got a big hit to set up the Damon homer. Mo was nasty for the save. Melky had a sweet bunt. And, Damon, along with the hits, made some nice plays in left.

Lastly, when I look at Joba Chamberlain, I see him being a starter next year, and doing very well – until he hits three homeruns in one game during an inter-league match-up. Then, the Yankees start playing him in the outfield during off days…and the long-balls keep coming…and eventually Joba becomes a full-time position player and goes on to hit 714 career homeruns…wait, am I confusing him with someone else?

Seriously, as much fun as the “Jabba the Hutt” play on names thing is, it’s a tad insulting because the kid did once have a weight problem. Perhaps, playing on Icebox Chamberlain, we should start calling Joba “Toaster Chamberlain,” as that’s what he’s turning batters into with that heater he throws.

O.K., that’s not awesome either. Anyone have some better suggestions?

Comments on August 28th vs. The Red Sox

1. JeremyM
      August 29th, 2007 | 12:02 am

I don’t think a nickname is necessary, just Joba will do fine.

Kennedy gets the call, that will be interesting. Moose has to be pretty distraught, but I don’t see that there was any other choice. I’m looking forward to the start. The crazy thing is there’s still Horne down there on the farm, who might be better than him if some are to be believed.

Thank God Houston screwed around with extending Pettitte, he’s been the MVP of the staff by far. Great effort. Let’s hope Rocket has a gem left in him for tomorrow.

2. Josh
      August 29th, 2007 | 12:23 am

I assume Kennedy will be eligible for the postseason? This is the right move – he can’t be worse right now than Moose. Moose should move into the bullpen where hopefully he’ll get a chance to straighten himself out. I know the guy can still pitch. We just can’t affored throwaway starts at this point.

3. August 29th, 2007 | 12:39 am

Game tonight was on My9, not YES.

4. Corey
      August 29th, 2007 | 12:42 am

britton called up, henn sent down

5. August 29th, 2007 | 8:08 am

~~~Game tonight was on My9, not YES.~~~

Correct! I’ve been in a daze the last two weeks – this proves it. Good catch.

Still, it’s really the YES crew just being farmed out to My9….so, it’s an easy mistake.

August 29th, 2007 | 8:23 am

I assume Kennedy will be eligible for the postseason?
      ==================
      Depends on when he gets the call. If he gets it after 9/1 he wouldn’t be eligible. Just as well, he’s probably near his innings limit for the season.

7. August 29th, 2007 | 8:28 am

~~~I assume Kennedy will be eligible for the postseason?~~~

With the DL rules, they can sneak him in, IIRC. He can take Pavano’s spot – no matter when he comes up.

It’s like K-Rod for the Angels in 2002.

8. rbj
      August 29th, 2007 | 10:16 am

Joba the Stud?

9. Santino53
      August 29th, 2007 | 12:05 pm

Maybe someone can clarify this for me. After a My9
      broadcast, Kay, as usual, goes to a break and says they will be back for a postgame wrapup. At least on my cable outlet, i go to local news and never see the game again. What happens to everyone else?

August 29th, 2007 | 12:18 pm

What happens to everyone else?
      ===================
      Depending on the market, they go to the wrapup. Found out the hard way after the 1992 NLCS.

Where are you located?

11. Santino53
      August 29th, 2007 | 2:43 pm

Raf, I’m in central Connecticut. Thanks.

12. SteveB