• August 30th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on August 30th, 2007 · Comments (26)

Coming into this contest, Worm Killer Wang averages 3.49 Pitches thrown per Plate Appearance (P/PA) and Curt Schilling averages 3.62 P/PA. Both of those marks are excellent – compared to the rest of the league. Does this mean this game will be quick moving?

Update, 8/30/07, 2:20 pm ET: It’s the bottom of the 4th, with one out, and Wang’s averaging 4.0 P/PA in the game compared to Schilling’s 3.14 P/PA. Seems like the Sox are making Wang work whereas the Yankees are jumping at Schilling early in the count.

Update, 8/30/07, 2:42 pm ET: At this point in time, Robinson Cano is batting .407 lifetime against Schilling with 3 homers in 27 At Bats. I think he likes him.

Update, 8/30/07, 2:54 pm ET: It’s 2:54 am, Friday morning, in Taiwan. Think anyone there knows that Worm Killer Wang is 9 outs away from a no-hitter?

Update, 8/30/07, 4:14 pm ET: Sweep Fancy Moses! The Yankees are now 5 games back of Boston. Those two blown “Sean Henn” games from last week – August 20th and August 24th are indeed very haunting now. If the Yankees had won those two games, we’d be looking at 3 games back – with 28 games to go, including three at Fenway against the Sox. Now, that would have been something.

As far as the whole Youkilis/Joba thing, well, I want to see the video on that one before I comment. However, if you saw it, and want to comment on it now, please feel free to…in the comment section here.

Comments on August 30th vs. The Red Sox

1. Kyle
      August 30th, 2007 | 2:32 pm

Could be because while Wang throws nasty 94 MPH sinkers, Schilling throws straight 87 MPH fastballs. The Yankees are just getting hittable pitches earlier in the at bat

2. antone
      August 30th, 2007 | 4:28 pm

I don’t think Joba was throwing at him but you never know. All I know is that Beckett is definitely drilling someone next time he pitches against the Yankees because he was running his mouth from the dugout, swearing and everything at Joba to get out of the game.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      August 30th, 2007 | 4:32 pm

Beckett is a dick. I have nothing else to add. I assume since he’s a young pitcher, that he was having command issues and wasn’t throwing at him.

4. dan
      August 30th, 2007 | 5:09 pm

“All I know is that Beckett is definitely drilling someone next time he pitches against the Yankee”

As well as he should.

“Beckett is a dick. I have nothing else to add.”

Of course you have nothing to add. If that had been schilling or beckett throwing those two pitches yankee fans would be going crazy. And if the roles were reversed and that was clemens yelling at becket you’d be rooting him on.

5. yanksrule
      August 30th, 2007 | 5:17 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for a long time, but have never commented.
      But since you asked, I’ll come out into the open.
      Yup, you bet a lot of us stayed up to watch Wang pitch.
      And I think I can safely bet that this will be front page news today. LOL~

PS: Nice blog, BTW.

6. Nick from Washington Heights
      August 30th, 2007 | 5:28 pm

Actually, dan, you don’t know me. Did you know that? Oh, I guess you forgot. So, no, I wouldn’t be rooting Clemens on if the situations were reversed. Beckett, on the other hand, I find to be an insufferable prick who insists on being the arbiter of playing the game the right way all the time. What a douche.

7. August 30th, 2007 | 5:36 pm

Beckett DID hit Arod with his first pitch in game 1 (if that was unintentional, then so was Joba). so if anything, things should be even now, but i’m sure the socks will drill someone next time. they’re like that…

8. MJ
      August 30th, 2007 | 5:48 pm

I know this will sound like Yankee fan-boy prattle but I’m POSITIVE that Joba didn’t do it on purpose. I was at the game and he didn’t look sharp in his warmup tosses before the 8th inning nor did he look particularly sharp in the 1.1 innings he pitched. I really think he was just a bit tired today or didn’t have the feel for his pitches and they got away from him. As he was warming up, I said to myself “he doesn’t look his best today.”

Youkilis takes himself SOOOOO seriously. He needs to lighten up. As Varitek famously said to A-Rod, “we don’t hit .260 hitters” someone should tell Youkilis, “we don’t hit thoroughly average immature babies…”

9. dan
      August 30th, 2007 | 5:48 pm

“Beckett, on the other hand, I find to be an insufferable prick”

Good for you. You’re a yankee fan. Par for the course.

“Beckett DID hit Arod with his first pitch in game 1 (if that was unintentional, then so was Joba).”

This comment is so dumb I hope it was an attempt at humor.

10. dan
      August 30th, 2007 | 5:51 pm

“Youkilis takes himself SOOOOO seriously. He needs to lighten up.”

99 twice at the head and you’re telling him to lighten up? Once again, two pitches by beckett at jeter’s head and there would be calls for serious payback. But this wasn’t our guy, so LIGHTEN UP!

Hilarious. Can a bosox/yankee fan ever take off the fan googles?

11. Max
      August 30th, 2007 | 6:12 pm

Nice to see a troll like Dan adding to the constructive discussion here.

From my perspective, it didn’t appear logical for Joba to be head-hunting…his control seemed off today. Nevertheless, the location of the pitches warranted a Youkilis reaction, though not an ejection…that was absurd.

People are upset with Beckett because of the stupid trash talking that was clearly visible on television. Fine if players like Youkilis and Beckett want to wear their emotion on their sleeves, but they should be prepared to be ridiculed if logic determines that they’ve completely overreacted given the circumstances.

12. baileywalk
      August 30th, 2007 | 6:28 pm

You have got to be kidding me. What would be the motivation for Joba to hit Youkilis? And do you really think he’d drill him in the head with a fastball? Proctor ended up getting suspended because of a similar situation. I doubt the Yankees would risk the same thing happening to Joba.

It just looks like he was overthrowing and the ball got away. Youkilis has the right to glare and say something. And maybe, because there was a slim possibility it was intentional, and the ball was at his jead, the ump has the right to toss him.

But just think of it logically. The Yankees were about to finish a big three-game sweep on a day when the pitching had been fabulous. This was a big series for the Yanks, and I can’t imagine they were really still thinking about Youkilis running outside the basepaths.

13. j
      August 30th, 2007 | 6:44 pm

Beckett was seriously screaming obscenities. I hope his mother wasn’t watching.

And I don’t think Joba was throwing at Youkilis, but if he was, it won’t keep me up at night. I don’t want to see anyone get hit in the head of course, but I do hate seeing Jeter and ARod constantly hit in the elbow, even if it is because the scouting report on them is to get in on their hands. One broken fringer or bruised wrist could be disastrous.

Whether this was intentional or not, if an after effect of this is that pitchers will be a little more cautious to ARod and Jeter on inside pitches because they think we’ve got some lunatic who throws triple digits waiting to shave someones chin in the bullpen, then that’s fine with me.

14. dan
      August 30th, 2007 | 6:45 pm

“Nice to see a troll like Dan adding to the constructive discussion here.”

That word doesn’t mean what you think it means max. Please go to wikipedia and look it up, k? If I’ve said something wrong, please enlighten me. If you’re just going to throw around words that you don’t understand, have fun.

“It just looks like he was overthrowing and the ball got away.”

Once, sure. Twice? Same spot? Tough to accept.

15. JeremyM
      August 30th, 2007 | 7:03 pm

I honestly don’t think he tried to hit him or even send a message. What I’m a little concerned about is the apparent lack of control, as today was really the first slight chink we’ve seen in Joba’s armor. It’s hard to remember that this guy is 21, he is a rookie, and this is essentially his first full season as a professional.

It may sound ridiculous, but there was another flame-thrower that looked unhittable, and he’s now playing the outfield for the Cardinals because he threw a few balls over the catcher’s head and it rattled him. Hopefully, this doesn’t get into his head- I don’t think it will.

16. JeremyM
      August 30th, 2007 | 7:09 pm

And yes, if a Red Sox pitcher did the same I’d be howling for blood. It is what it is.

17. Sherard
      August 30th, 2007 | 7:16 pm

Oh, so troll isn’t the right word, Dan ? How about douchebag ? Does that one fit better ? I think so. There is nothing on this earth more pathetic than a lame ass Sox fan commenting on a Yankee fan blog. Go screw yourself.

18. August 30th, 2007 | 7:37 pm

~~~I’ve been reading your blog for a long time, but have never commented.~~~

~~~PS: Nice blog, BTW.~~~

thanks!

19. Nick from Washington Heights
      August 30th, 2007 | 8:10 pm

again, dan, you can ascribe whatever motives you want to why I view Beckett the way I do. Say it’s because I’m a Yanks fan. That’s your opinion. You appear to be a condescending know-it-all, so it’s par for the course. Nice interacting with you on this subject.

I had no problem with Youk reacting the way he did. It’s unsettling for a 99 mph to be headed to your skull once, let alonge twice. I find Beckett’s opinion on these matters irrelevant because he has a history of being a hothead who talks about such nonsense as playing the game the right way. In fact, he’s my least favorite player in baseball. I hated him on the Marlins, and I hate him even more now. There are Red Sox I actually like, whose opinions on these matters I wouldn’t immediately dismiss. Mike Lowell seems like a dignified swell guy. Big Papi is fun. Wakefield seems cool. But whatever, I’m just a Yanks fan.

20. antone
      August 30th, 2007 | 8:16 pm

There’s no way this would have happened if it was the Red Sox because the Red Sox would have drilled the guy not thrown over his head haha…and I mean seriously the guy didn’t even come that close to getting hit..he has a right to be “upset” and get back in the box and try to knock one right back up the middle…but I didn’t think Youkalis was even that pissed about it…but yeah I really see no reason whatsoever for not only the Yankees to be throwing at someone but for JOBA to be throwing at someone…it really makes no sense he’s just a rooke so Joe would have had to tell him to do it or Posada plus he really didn’t look that sharp today either…I agree with that…

21. antone
      August 30th, 2007 | 8:19 pm

By the way…sweeeeeeeeeeep!!

22. baileywalk
      August 30th, 2007 | 9:00 pm

Two good laughs:

First, a little less-than-subtle anti-Yankee-ism from Rotoworld:

“Cano had been a little cold over the past 2 1/2 weeks, but he resumed going the other way today, hitting both homers out to left field. Between Cano’s homers today, Alex Rodriguez’s liner over the left-field wall Tuesday and Johnny Damon’s 316-foot blast to right on Monday, we wonder how much differently this series would have gone had it been played at Fenway Park. Cano’s homers would have been doubles, and A-Rod’s might have been a single. Damon’s homer would have been a fairly routine fly in any other park.”

Hilarious.

Second: Pete Abraham suggested, because Joba and Clemens locker next to each other, that Clemens might have told Joba to hit Youkilis.

That makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it? Clemens telling a rookie to bean a guy and possibly get suspended, which Clemens already did (something that hurt the team).

23. JeremyM
      August 30th, 2007 | 9:19 pm

Abraham runs a good site. But when he tries to stir up a story, he’s a moron.

24. Jen
      August 30th, 2007 | 9:54 pm

I wonder if the crowd reaction after the first pitch had any influence over Angel Hernandez. The entire place was cheering, whether he meant to throw over his head or not. (And personally I don’t think he meant to. He wasn’t as spot on as he was in his previous outings and he was sitting around for a while in the bottom of the 8th.) Not that Hernandez needs any provocation to make an issue out of nothing, but I’m sure the cheering didn’t help matters (and I cheered as well, not that he would get hit, but that Youk would get ticked off because I can’t stand that whiny little brat).

25. August 30th, 2007 | 11:06 pm

‘Nice to see a troll like Dan adding to the constructive discussion here.’
      ———————————–
      dan, dan, the trolling man…

26. snowball003
      August 31st, 2007 | 9:58 pm

The funniest part about the “you threw at Youkilis’s head” complaint was comparing him to Jeter. People would care a LOT more about throwing at Jeter’s head.

There difference between Beckett and the Yankees–the Yankees wouldn’t start screaming obscenities from the dugout at an ejected pitcher. It’s just not what they’re about. When I heard about Beckett doing that, I was appalled and a little bit ashamed that he did that.

I hope the rodent on his chin eats his face off.