• September 4th vs. The Mariners

Posted by on September 5th, 2007 · Comments (6)

When you factor in the overall state of the Yankees starting pitching over the last three seasons, just how valuable has Worm Killer Wang been to this team? Without him, I doubt the Yankees make the post-season in 2005, for sure. Maybe the same in 2006. And, this season, without Wang, there’s no way the Yankees have a shot at the Wildcard. Man, his agent has a great job.

That homerun into the upper tank in left by A-Rod was a monster. I’ve seen Jose Canseco hit one up there for the Yankees in 2000. And, I saw Cecil Fielder hit one up there for the Tigers (in 1990, if I recall correctly). But, that’s not an area where you see many homers land. It happens maybe once every ten years or so, I would guess. That’s something, for sure.

You just have to hope that Rodriguez and Wang are O.K. after their health issues in this game. With less than four weeks to go, the Yankees cannot afford any injuries at this point.

According to Joe Torre, Phil Hughes had “a good bullpen (session)” last week and worked on mechanical things with Dave Eiland. Since Hughes has allowed 15 runs, 10 walks, and 4 homers in 16.2 IP, over his last three starts, I hope that Eiland has some impact here that Guidry and Kerrigan were incapable of providing. The Yankees need a good game from Phil Hughes in game three of this series.

Comments on September 4th vs. The Mariners

1. rbj
      September 5th, 2007 | 8:44 am

“Jose Canseco hit one up there for the Yankees in 2000″

Ugh, Canseco a Yankee. Just. Not. Right.

2. Garcia
      September 5th, 2007 | 9:28 am

~~~You just have to hope that Rodriguez and Wang are O.K.~~~
      Since “One Man Does Not Make A Team”, how about two? I would say that by that logic all 25 are replaceable, so you don’t have to “hope” all that much because the Yanks can easily get some other slugs to produce just as well.

“Hope” would be better served for stuff like mega-millions and powerball, right? Not for Wang and Rodriguez, they don’t make a team.

3. September 5th, 2007 | 10:04 am

Over the next 20-something games, the Yankees need all hands on deck, hence, my comment.

4. September 5th, 2007 | 10:10 am

According to hit-tracker online, A-Rod has hit FOURTEEN homers further than his homer last night (which would have gone 408 feet had it not hit the upper deck seats). His furthest homer of the season was on June 26 at AT&T Park, which would have gone 456 feet with no obstructions.

5. baileywalk
      September 5th, 2007 | 11:23 am

About the home run… B.J. Upton hit one there this year (I believe it was off Mussina, but I could be wrong). So it’s a rare shot, but maybe it happens more than once every ten years.

About Hughes and Eiland…

I really hope Dave because the big club’s pitching coach next year. I truly believe that Guidry has no idea how to help a pitcher with mechanics. It seems that anytime he’s called on to “help” a pitcher all he can do is teach them to throw a slider.

Eiland was with Hughes in AA during his greatest year as a starter. He also worked with Joba and Kennedy while they were in AAA. Those three are going to be (more than likely) in the rotation for years to come. This is a man who knows their mechanics inside and out, can help them, and who has their respect. The Yankees need a real pitching coach next year, and as much as I love Guidry as a pitcher, I think he useless as a pitching coach. Letting him stick around this year knowing how many young kids would be up was a mistake, in my opinion.

6. September 5th, 2007 | 2:08 pm

they talked about Hughes slowing down his windup, which contrasts what Carlos Gomez of THT says is needed. we’ll see…