• September 5th vs. The Mariners

Posted by on September 5th, 2007 · Comments (11)

A magical night at the Stadium.

Phil Hughes gave the Yankees everything that they needed from him in this game. Sans one mistake pitch to Raul Ibanez, Hughes kept the M’s at bay…with some help from the umps (Ichiro was safe in the 3rd and 5th) and some bad Seattle baserunning (Grinnin’ Shelley Duncan nailing Ibanez at second in the 6th). You really can’t expect more than 6 innings and 2 runs from Hughes at this stage of his career. Therefore, the kid really came through in this contest.

And, of course, two-in-one inning A-Rod was the man tonight. I remember watching that game where Cliff Johnson hit two in one inning. Cliff loved tearing apart Exhibition Stadium. In 167 games where he batted there, Johnson hit 34 taters at Exhibition Stadium. And, that was back in the day when 34 homers was a lot of homers.

Look for something on A-Rod’s numbers this year from me soon. I just need time to work it up. It is an incredible year – without question.

Luis Vizcaino is hurting now? Well, Quantrill, Sturtze, and a few other guys will be shocked to hear that.

Again, a great win for the Yankees tonight. They should be riding high after this game and the one before it. Now, comes the test: 9 road games in 10 days. The Yankees have not played well on the road this season, to date. New York needs to win 6 of these 9 games – maybe more. If the Yankees go 4-5, or worse, in these games, it would be depressing, to say the least – especially after the way they played tonight and yesterday.

Comments on September 5th vs. The Mariners

1. Josh
      September 6th, 2007 | 12:15 am

Wow! Kind words for Phil Hughes? Has an alien taken over Steve’s body (or at least his pen)? I was sure that Steve would find some way to spin this perf. negatively. I’m pleasantly surprised that he didn’t. The kid is going to be alright.

2. Zack
      September 6th, 2007 | 12:36 am

Hughes’ command still wasn’t where it will be, but it was better. The curve, however, was on. And the velocity was just fine, thank you very much

3. rbj
      September 6th, 2007 | 7:57 am

Obviously the Yankees should let Alex walk after this season. After all, he’s only powering them into the lead of the WC race at this point.

Hard to tell about Hughes last night, the ump was bad.

4. Garcia
      September 6th, 2007 | 8:29 am

I have to second rbj’s comments about the umpiring, that ump behind home plate was f’ing awful. The calls that went against Seattle were very bad, but I guess this is payback for that caught stealing back in May that was called safe. It’s not like Seattle isn’t already used to bad officiating, so this is pretty normal for the Java pushers of the West.

I’d just like to (again) point out that “One Man Does Not Make a Team”, if you take away ARod’s RBIs then the Yanks still win 7 – 2 so Steve is absolutely correct in that we should let him walk. He’s really not “needed”. That first homerun was nice and all but again…one man does not make a team and we should just let him walk and get grinder types like Joe Crede or Brandon Inge. Those guys are the players the Yanks “need”.

I’m not here to defend Cashman because he made one really bad mistake with Kei Igawa, I like Cashman but a mistake that bad is often a firable offense in any industry, BUT he has done a great job in fixing his mistakes and making this team better. It all started with the Jose Molina trade, one that some people didn’t think it’d improve the Yanks all much from Wil Nieves. I’m still in Cash’s corner, but he can’t ever have another Kei Igawa signing again.

Great job by Molina yesterday, though his trying to stretch a single into a double was hilarious and f’ing LUCKY on his part. Loved the way Melky came through in the 7th after having a bad at-bat with Molina on 3rd in the prior inning. Great hustle by Damon, awesome job by Shelly Duncan, great job by the starter and bullpen, really good game to watch.

Lastly, Yanks should DFA ARod before the playoffs…

5. snowball003
      September 6th, 2007 | 10:00 am

Steve. I have a challenge for you. It’s a hard one.

For the next week, do not say anything like this:
      “If the Yankees go 4-5, or worse, in these games, it would be depressing, to say the least – especially after the way they played tonight and yesterday.”

I know it’ll be hard, but be optimistic! Have faith! I know they haven’t given us THAT much reason to this season, but we’re fans! Have faith, and don’t think about the BAD things that could happen. Just look at the game ahead and say, “Ok. We scored 8 runs in one inning last night. We CAN score. We’re good to go.” You didn’t think this team had a chance earlier in the season, and now this team leads the wild card, does it not?

Oh, and last night was the first time I’d been to a game started by Phil Hughes, so I’ll be accepting any and all ticket donations of future tickets, as I seem to be his good luck charm. Thank you that is all.

September 6th, 2007 | 11:26 am

I took a look at that boxscore; 16 runs were scored, and the game took only 2:28

Last night 12 runs were scored, and that game took 3:00.

7. rbj
      September 6th, 2007 | 12:14 pm

Raf, I think the M’s manager made more in inning pitching changes last night. Gawd that was dull.

8. Ken
      September 6th, 2007 | 1:38 pm

I was at the game last night, and it was a fun one to watch. I knew Ichiro had to be safe on that stolen base, because he never complains about anything, but great job by Molina, he had the ball in Jeter’s hand when Ichiro was 10 feet from the bag.

Quick question on Hughes for those of you who watched on TV. One of the concerns I’ve had with watching Hughes so far is that he’s only featured two pitches – 89-92 MPH Fastball, and a mid 70′s curve. Last night they flashed two “new” pitches I hadn’t seen Hughes throw before – and Slider, and a Change, both hovering in the high 70′s low 80′s. I was wondering if those pitches “looked” like sliders or change-ups on TV, or were they just poorly thrown curves?

If Hughes is getting comfortable enough to throw more of his pitches to big league hitters, that could really help him down the stretch, in my opinion.

9. baileywalk
      September 6th, 2007 | 2:47 pm

To this untrained eye… I thought I saw one slider, a few two-seamers, and a couple of changes (I don’t remember the batter, but he even doubled up on the change once).

He definitely mixed his pitches up more last night. Why they didn’t do this in the last few games is a mystery. They did it with Kennedy in his debut. (They also did it with Hughes in Texas and against the Indians).

More importantly, his command was back (for the most part). He was really hitting that outside corner.

A couple of calls went the Yankees’ way, but the home-plate ump was absolutely horrible. He had an inconsistent zone for everyone all night.

10. September 6th, 2007 | 3:12 pm

ken, you could definitely see the slider and changeups on TV. those arent new pitches, but he’s bene using them sparingly this year. his slider was actually his breaking ball of choice out of HS, but Nardi made him shelve it to work on his curve. now that his curve is (usually) so good, he’s adding in some sliders.

the YES gun had his FB 87-94, his curve 69-72, and his slider 78-80, as was his changeup. he got one swinging strike on the change (his best of the night), and threw a few more that sailed way high. it’s a pitch he’s still working on, but he HAS to use it imo. i’d estimate he threw 60% FBs, 25% curves, 15% changes and sliders. if not for that string of 7 straight bad pitches (Guillen went from 0-2 to a walk, then 2-0 on Ibanez before the HR), he probably pitches a shutout. oh, and the ump definitely squeezed him a few times unlike washburn.

11. Don
      September 6th, 2007 | 6:40 pm

Hughes was throwing that ‘slow’ 92 MPH FB by good ML hitters. That is because he has good late movement on his FB. That was a taste of what Hughes can and will do.

The last pitch Joba threw was 102 on the YES gun. The batter did not swing and miss but hit a weak pop up. Velocity is good, less velocity with late movement can be just as good, even better.

Light a candle or two for Hughes and Joba. That they keep their arms healthy and stay stable. Then buckle up, it could be some ride the next ten years. Even sans Alex!