• September 14th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on September 14th, 2007 · Comments (13)

Holy Bleeping Bleep!

This game – this incredible, wacky, and wonderful game – is actually a 9-inning summary of the Yankees season, to date.

This game (like this season) began with the Yankees starting pitching being highly ineffective.

Through the first part of this game (like this season), the Yankees batters could not deliver when opportunities were at hand.

For most of this game (like this season), the Yankees were hurt by the play of their first baseman.

Lastly, in this game (like this season), Joe Torre’s middle-innings calls to the bullpen seemed to be the waving of the white flag.

However, after all this happened, in this game (like this season), the Yankees did an absolute one-eighty in the eighth – that glorious, thrilling and delightful eighth – and an ugly duckling became a swan. A loser became a winner.

I have to wonder if this game will have the same effect on the 2007 A.L. East crown confidence of the New York Yankees the way that Game 4 of the 2004 A.L.C.S. had on the pennant confidence of the Boston Red Sox?

Can I say it again?

Holy Bleeping Bleep!

Comments on September 14th @ The Red Sox

1. JeremyM
      September 15th, 2007 | 12:42 am

Wow, what an awesome win. He got the win, but I think Bruney’s performance will be overlooked–the game really could’ve blown up when he came on, and I figured it would. Nice job by him. Vizcaino looked really good too, I thought pitching him against Boston’s 3-4-5 was a big mistake, and I was wrong.

The eighth inning was just a thing of beauty. Cano’s monster shot, Jeter picking himself off the mat, and then Abreu’s double, followed by A-Rod. Wow. I love it.

Now, Giambi was just terrible at first. He looked pretty good up until today, so hopefully he’ll be OK. But I don’t think a first-baseman can play worse than that. As far as Sean Henn, when I want Wayne Franklin, I want the real deal, not some second-rate imitation. This guy doesn’t belong in a game until it’s 10 runs either way.

Man, this win was so big, the wild card was about to get too close for my comfort. These are the days you live for as a baseball fan.

2. bloodyank78
      September 15th, 2007 | 12:53 am

I’m floored. What a beautiful, beautiful, win. I wish I was on the east coast so I could slap you five Steve. Holy *@$#@@ is right. What an offense! And off of Oki and Pablebon!!! Beautiful!!!

3. jesseharoldkreist
      September 15th, 2007 | 12:57 am

Best win of the season.

And, no joke, when Torre sent both Henn and Bruney into the game, he’d given up on it. Hell, I’d given up on the game, but I wouldn’t have shown it.

But, miracle of miracles, Bruney redeemed himself to some extent, as did Giambi.

If only they’d given Jason the green light on that 3-0 count, like he asked, I think he could of made up all the way for his atrocious defense.

4. brockdc
      September 15th, 2007 | 2:00 am

“As far as Sean Henn, when I want Wayne Franklin, I want the real deal, not some second-rate imitation.”

That needs to be acknowledged as one of the funniest lines ever written on this site. Thanks for the laugh, JeremyM.

5. Don
      September 15th, 2007 | 2:10 am

Who was Torre supposed to use then? No Joba. No Farnsworth. Middle innings.

Anyway, isn’t it a good thing that Mariano wasn’t used in the Toronto game, a tie game on the road. If Mariano pitched a scoreless ninth in Toronto, you know he would have pitched the tenth as well. And after pitching 1.1 the night before, well, who would have closed? Mariano certainly wouldn’t have been fresh. You don’t use your closer in tie games on the road.

September 15th, 2007 | 3:06 am

You don’t use your closer in tie games on the road.
      =======
      At this point in the season, when you’re trying to get every win you can, you most certainly do. Worry about tomorrow’s game tomorrow.

7. Bob R.
      September 15th, 2007 | 6:35 am

It is hindsight that having Mariano available was fortunate, not legitimate interpretation. What happened last night was wonderful but unusual and certainly not predictable. Had I told you on Thursday that Rivera would save a game the Yankees were losing by 5 runs to Boston in the 8th by scoring 6 runs off Okajima and Papelbon, would you have counseled saving him for that eventuality? It does not make sense to preserve your resources for situations that may never arise. The fact that it did does not justify it, unless you have some notion that Torre has mystical powers of precognition or consults an infallible Sybil.

8. Lee Sinins
      September 15th, 2007 | 8:11 am

You use the closer on the road in tie games if you are trying to win the game.

But, you don’t use him in tie games on the road if you are just managing for the sake of his statistics.

9. September 15th, 2007 | 8:27 am

~~~Anyway, I’ve been meaning to thank you, Steve, and your regular posters, for making this best Yankees fansite out here, and tonight’s a good night for a big: Thanks!~~~

Thanks for the kind words – always appreciated – and I ditto those for posters. I get that comment a lot: How much people enjoy the comments posted here.

bloodyank78 – High five? Last night called for a Shelley Duncan bash!

10. antone
      September 15th, 2007 | 10:10 am

Shouldn’t this game be on the list of games that were opposite of the games that hurt the most Steve?

BIG win by the Yankees, I still think you don’t use Mo on the road in Toronto in a tie game, you have to have faith that your other bullpen guys can hold Toronto scoreless, plus they had the Red Sox next and the games are ALWAYS close with alot of bullpen moves, I guarantee if needed Mo will pitch all three games.

11. Santino53
      September 15th, 2007 | 10:54 am

Great win. Downer for me was “Manos de Piedra”
      at first base. I have bad visions of a an ill timed performance like that in a crucial playoff situation.

12. Mrs. Peterson-Kekich
      September 15th, 2007 | 11:50 am

One other thing lost in the excitement –

Guess who has the most assists of any centerfielder in MLB this year?

13. Don
      September 15th, 2007 | 2:28 pm

Thankfully, Joe Torre doesn’t listen to certain people and won’t use his closer in tie games on the road. As I posted yesterday, if Mariano had pitched the ninth inning Thursday and the Blue Jays did not score, then Mariano would probably have pitched the tenth as well, regardless of whether or not the Yankees scored in the top of the tenth.

But since Mariano is the closer, unless you are at home in a tie game, you don’t use him. He wasn’t and was fresh and ready to close game one in Boston.

Is there ever an exception? Yes, but Thursday was not that time. Especially when the team had a four game lead in the wild card race.