• September 16th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on September 16th, 2007 · Comments (15)

Jeter beat Schilling; but, Ortiz could not beat Rivera. Cool.

O.K., I do have to say this – and I dislike Curt Schilling as much as any player that I dislike in the game – Schilling pitched a great ballgame today…up until that Jeter homer. He only need 61 pitches to get through the first six innings…against the Yankees line-up. That’s something.

Great effort from Clemens tonight too. That’s more than I expected. I hope he’s able to keep that up from here.

Big win here for the Yankees. A loss would have meant another gain for the Tigers. And, New York cannot afford to allow the Tigers to get any closer in the Wildcard standings.

Lastly, show of hands. How many other Yankees fans threw up when they saw Torre had Kei Igawa warming in the pen when Joba got into trouble in the seventh?

Comments on September 16th @ The Red Sox

1. chris
      September 16th, 2007 | 11:41 pm

If A-Rod opts out, I would like to see the yanks pass and make a reasonable attempt to sign Lowell this offseason. Trading away Lowell turned out to be one of the worst moves Cashman made.

September 16th, 2007 | 11:50 pm

Well, with them signing Brosius to a big contract, there was nowhere for Lowell to play.

As for Igawa, I figured it was his throw day, so I didn’t think much about him warming up (same with DeSalvo a couple of innings earlier)

3. JeremyM
      September 16th, 2007 | 11:54 pm

Agree on Lowell, he’s about everything you could ask for in a ballplayer NOT named Alex Rodriguez:) Nothing against Brosius, but that was a terrible move.

I hate Schilling too, but you have to tip your hat to the guy. But when your fastball runs about 89-90, at some point you risk it biting you in the arse, and it did. That home run was beautiful. Still, he pitched very well, getting ahead in counts and hitting his spots.

I think that was just an ego boost for Igawa–hey Kerrigan, get him up so he still thinks he’s part of the team….

Clemens. Love that guy. I don’t get the hate for him, you can see with the way he interacts with his team on the field that he’s a great guy to play with. Do the Roger chants irk anyone else as much as they bug me? I won’t miss those.

Detroit is not packing it in, hopefully Cleveland can take 2 of 3 because it’s the last meaningful team they’ll play. Yanks have got to solve Baltimore and Tampa.

4. Joel
      September 17th, 2007 | 12:00 am

The Captain looks horrible for the last month, looks like he’s 43 not 33, and then this…

The Gutty, Gritty Yankees. Still the Yankees.

5. brockdc
      September 17th, 2007 | 12:25 am

Great win. Nice Houdini act by Mo at the end, too.

Steve, I picture you, a la Alex from “A Clockwork Orange,” post-Ludovico Technique, every time you see Kei Igawa throwing a baseball.

6. rbj
      September 17th, 2007 | 8:17 am

I figured Kei was just getting some throwing in, or else it was a very sick joke by Torre.

I like Lowell, he’s a serviceable thirdbaseman, but he’s no A-Rod.

7. September 17th, 2007 | 8:19 am

LOL brockdc – and, so true!

8. christopher
      September 17th, 2007 | 9:00 am

Lowell is a nice player, but let’s not get crazy. He’s hitting .378 with an OPS of 1.005 at Fenway and .282 with an OPS of .778 on the road. His career OPS at Yankee Stadium is .785. His swing is perfect for Fenway. We wouldn’t get the same production out of him if he played 81 games in Yankee Stadium.

9. JohnnyC
      September 17th, 2007 | 9:38 am

The question isn’t whether Lowell would be a good replacement for ARod now (he wouldn’t be, as Christopher points out), but why Scott Brosius got the 3 year deal that essentially sent Lowell away. Hindsight absolutely is 20/20 but this is yet another albeit minor instance of where the organization spent unwisely on a “trusted” veteran instead of making choices based on talent. And it’s especially troubling considering that Lowell is an even better defensive player than Brosius, along with his superior offensive skills.

10. antone
      September 17th, 2007 | 9:57 am

How can you guys complain about Brosius when he was the freakin’ MVP of the World Series and came up with plenty of clutch hits. Yeah, Lowell is better but who knows what would have happened in the playoffs with him. The Yankees did win 3 World Series with Brosius at third and haven’t won a single world series since he left with Arod as his replacement. So better played at 3B doesn’t exactly equal another championship.

Also, I have no idea how anyone can complain about anything to do with the Yankees after they won this game! We are looking forward not behind, the organization doesn’t throw away its young talent like they used to so stop complaining about stuff that happened 5-10 years ago.

11. dan
      September 17th, 2007 | 10:08 am

“But when your fastball runs about 89-90, at some point you risk it biting you in the arse, and it did.”

Wasn’t a fastball. Was a splitter that didn’t split. You’re going to be lost if you listen to morgan call the game.

“I don’t get the hate for him”

Then you haven’t been paying attention.

12. September 17th, 2007 | 10:43 am

Show of hands: How many Yankee fans really thought Igawa was actually going to pitch in a close game in Fenway instead of just taking a few to the mitt since he hasn’t thrown in a game since Aug. 31?

September 17th, 2007 | 10:48 am

==============
      Don’t think anyone’s complaining, just mentioning it was a bad move. When Brosuis was traded here, I thought he was going to be a stopgap until Lowell was ready. Maybe a supersub like he was in Oakland.

What is often overlooked is that with the decline in pitching the past few years, the Yanks can’t afford to carry a “glove man” in the lineup.

14. JeremyM
      September 17th, 2007 | 6:25 pm

“I don’t get the hate for him”

“Then you haven’t been paying attention.”

Of course, that’s what it is.

Yeah, he’s an egomaniac, newsflash, 99% of ballplayers are.

15. dan
      September 17th, 2007 | 6:43 pm

“Yeah, he’s an egomaniac, newsflash, 99% of ballplayers are.”

I didn’t say if it was wrong or right to hate on clemens. Your comment gave me the impression that you were simply in the dark. But you’re not, you just disagree, so it was my mistake. Apologies.

Although, most of the hate on schilling is because he’s an egomaniac. So there is a bit of irony there.