• September 23rd vs. The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 23rd, 2007 · Comments (6)

What, no extra innings today?

When it was around ten after two, and it was only the second inning, and the score was tied, 3-3, I thought that today was going to end up like Friday and Saturday – with one of those long days in the Bronx.

In the end, compared to the last two games, this one turned out to be quick.

Another big win for the Yanks. I still want them to (at least) tie Boston for first place – as that would give them home-field in the ALCS if they face the Red Sox. Sure, yeah, I know they had home-field in 2004 and it did not help. But, I think it did help in 2003, no? In a close series, or a close game, it helps to get that last At Bat. Plus, Wang and Clemens pitch so much better at Yankee Stadium.

According to reports, by reaching 90 wins today, and for the seventh straight season, the Yankees now have the third-longest streak in major league history (of 90+ wins seasons) – behind the 1947-58 Yankees and the 1904-12 Chicago Cubs. That, is something. Very impressive.

By the way, I was totally wrong about Jose Molina. That was an excellent pick up by New York, in retrospect.

Comments on September 23rd vs. The Blue Jays

1. j
      September 23rd, 2007 | 7:19 pm

Steve,

I may be wrong, but your analysis of what the Yankees would have to do a day or so ago was wrong. You said if the Red Sox went 4-3, the Yankees would have to win all 8 games to win the East (that was when they were 2.5 back.) As of that day, they only need 2 less losses, which would have made 7-1 fine because of the tie breaker.

So now, with Boston having 6 games left and the Yankees having 7, they only need to lose 1 less game. So, 4-2 would need to be countered by 6-1, 3-3 by 5-2, etc.

I think that’s right.. it would mean we win the division by means of the tie breaker like in 2005.

2. JeremyM
      September 23rd, 2007 | 11:12 pm

Have to hand it to Cashman, I thought he did a terrible job with the bench during the off-season, but he’s done a good job making the bench into nearly a strength for the club. Hopefully he learns from that disaster and picks his spots better during the offseason from here on out. Molina is a good fit, Betemit strikes out a lot but is still nice to have, and Duncan offers some power.

Sounds like Mussina had a bit of trouble but settled down and pitched nicely. I’ll take 3 runs and 7 innings from any starter, day in and day out. Having Frank Thomas out probably didn’t hurt, but still, it’s not like Toronto didn’t just score 11 runs the day before. Hopefully he can have a couple of good starts in the playoffs; with Clemens trying to pick up an endorsement for a MLB version of the “Operation” board game, we might need him a lot more than expected.

Guess we officially went from “the Joba Rules” to JOBA RULES! today. He’s getting a ton of hype here in Nebraska, with daily linescores in the paper on days after he pitched, which is neat. (For some reason, Alex Gordon hasn’t been showcased in this way, and he had a lot more hype going into the season.)

3. bloodyank78
      September 24th, 2007 | 12:09 am

Molina should be signed this off-season IMHO. The guy is a solid defensive catcher and he has a knack (along with his brothers) to hit in the clutch. I watched him for many seasons here in OC and I can’t stress enough how much he improves our bench.

4. bloodyank78
      September 24th, 2007 | 12:09 am

JeremyM,

Are you in Omaha?

5. September 24th, 2007 | 8:04 am

~~~ it would mean we win the division by means of the tie breaker like in 2005.~~~

Yes, if they end up tied, the Yankees have the breaker based on the HTH record.

6. JeremyM
      September 24th, 2007 | 9:34 am

Yes, I am, bloodyyank78. Lucky me:)