• Mets Fan On Yankees Clinching

Posted by on September 27th, 2007 · Comments (22)

From Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog on September 19th, 2006 (basically, this time last year):

There have been roughly a dozen phone calls in to WFAN this morning, most likely from Yankees fans, goofing on the Mets for having such an elaborate post-game celebration in honor of their division championship last night.

Isn’t that for the Mets to decide?

I mean, if the Yankees are bored with winning, so much so that they no longer know how to have fun, how exactly does that impact how the Mets and their fans choose to celebrate.

It doesn’t.

And it shouldn’t.

Why were these so-called Yankees fans watching the Mets anyways?

Pinstripes, mind your business – and if you want to watch the Mets so bad, you’ll hopefully get plenty of opportunities at the end of October.

Enjoy.

From Matt Cerrone’s Metsblog today:

…by the way, it doesn’t help that the Yankees clinched a wild-card spot last night, and celebrated like Little Leaguers for finishing in second place…umm, didn’t their fans mock the Mets for behaving this way in 2000…anyway…

…i keep hearing these people talk about how miraculous it is that the Yankees came all the way back from a 14 game deficit…the thing is, they didn’t…they failed in that mission…instead, they were never more than eight back in the wild card, and it’s that mission they conquered…

…not that any of this matters…

…it’s just, on a day like this, the less a Yankees fan is sticking his chest out, the easier it may be for us…that’s all…

What a difference a year makes for some Mets fans, huh?

Comments on Mets Fan On Yankees Clinching

1. Lee Sinins
      September 27th, 2007 | 12:50 pm

I agree with Matt.

I was embarrassed by what I saw last night. A team that celebrates what the Yankees have done deserves to be ridiculed.

2. baileywalk
      September 27th, 2007 | 1:02 pm

Before the Omar years, I was indifferent to the Mets. But since then I have almost rooted against them. Why are their fans now so arrogant and bitter? It’s actually tough for me, because my brother-in-law is a big Mets fan. I don’t want to see the guy unhappy, but a part of me actually enjoys seeing the Mets’ fans suffer. I realized last night, seeing the Mets blow another game, that it’s not the players at all, really, who inspires my dislike — it’s everyone around them. It’s the staggeringly annoying Gary Cohen and fellow homer Keith Hernandez (Mets fans continue to tell me he’s hard on this team, but all I hear is him whine about how people don’t play the game perfectly the way he did) — and it’s the fans, too. I go to games everywhere within a reasonable distance to New York. That means plenty of Philly and Mets games. And I have to say, those people in Shea aren’t likable. Philly fans, on the other hand, who are branded the worst fans in sports, are awesome to watch a game with.

Anyway, I think this post perfectly reflects the hypocrisy and arrogance of the typical Mets fan.

As to celebrating the wild card: every team does it, and making the playoffs is still making the playoffs. And after 13 straight years, including numerous years of getting knocked out by wild cards, the Yanks have every right to open up some champagne.

3. rbj
      September 27th, 2007 | 1:12 pm

Considering that the season looked over already at the end of April, I have no problem with the team celebrating last night.

4. September 27th, 2007 | 1:20 pm

Ditto rbj.

5. brockdc
      September 27th, 2007 | 1:37 pm

I don’t have YES (and I watch games on EI), so can anyone tell me exactly what was so objectionable and/or unreasonable about the Yanks celebration last night? All I got to see was the guys convening in the middle of the diamond – and then Moose jumping on Duncan’s back (which was pretty damn hilarious on so many levels).

6. dan
      September 27th, 2007 | 1:48 pm

The mets celebrated winning the division, the yankees celebrating winning the wild card. Your attempt to show him as a hypocrite fails because the comparison is flawed.

“As to celebrating the wild card: every team does it”

Boston didn’t. A toast behind closed doors. So I guess every team doesn’t.

7. growlywa
      September 27th, 2007 | 2:07 pm

Mr. Cerrone closed comment posting on his blog. He’s probably sick of hearing about his hypocracy from WasWatching readers. (hahaha)

And Dan: making the playoffs is making the playoffs. Most, if not all teams celebrate. So I guess that you’re a Red Sox fan and probably a prick too.

8. rbj
      September 27th, 2007 | 2:11 pm

So a “toast” isn’t celebrating?

9. Gabe
      September 27th, 2007 | 2:29 pm

Two things here,

Divisions are artifical constructs…the fact is the yankees qualified for the playoffs, which is the ONLY goal of the regular season. Pretending otherwise ignores the obvious–that the wildcard is here to stay as a viable (and not even really disadvantageous way to getting into the playoffs). That “second place” argument is such BS…you think the red sox care that they were a second place team in 2004?

Secondly, i thought the Yanks were 9 games out of the Wildcard at one point? And what about the 7 teams they passed?

10. Don
      September 27th, 2007 | 2:35 pm

Please! This team has reason to celebrate. They were nine games out of the wildcard, had to climb over several teams, had much adversity with injuries early on. Anyone who says they should not celebrate is brain dead.

And Steve, thanks for another good season of Was Watching! Donations still welcome?

11. snowball003
      September 27th, 2007 | 3:29 pm

I don’t see what a Yankee clinch has to do with the Mets.

How one team celebrates shouldn’t have anything to do with another team. Unless the Yankees were running around saying “Screw You, Mets,” which they wouldn’t since they don’t care, Mets fans shouldn’t care.

Have you ever noticed that, for the most parts, Mets fans spend a lot of time hating the Yankees and Yankee fans, on the whole, just don’t care about the Mets one way or the other? Except me. I root for them as I want a Subway Series, deep in my heart of hearts.

12. baileywalk
      September 27th, 2007 | 3:36 pm

13. Evan3457
      September 27th, 2007 | 4:08 pm

The Mets fans have a point; as Yankee fans, we should not be celebrating so mudane a thing as rally from nearly 10 games back, and climbing over about 6-7 other teams to claim the last playoff spot in the superior league. No, that would be lame, week, feeble.

No, I’m gonna celebrate when the Yanks wim one more game, clinching a better record than the Mets, and certifying yet again, as if it needed to be certified again, that NYC is a YANKEES town.

As The Schmoozer, Steve Sommers, would put it: “One team,brimming with young talent fresh from the farm, asecending to the postseason; the other old, decrepit and falling apart, disintegrating into oblivion, already. It’s good to be the King!”.

14. Evan3457
      September 27th, 2007 | 4:10 pm

Just, remember Met fans; I kid, but it’s all in good fun, right?

15. dan
      September 27th, 2007 | 5:26 pm

“growlywa: making the playoffs is making the playoffs. Most, if not all teams celebrate. So I guess that you’re a Red Sox fan and probably a prick too.”

I was simply pointing out the difference in the situations of the two teams. Steve made a comparison as if the two were equal. They’re not. I personally don’t care how much any team celebrates. If that makes me a prick, fine. I’ll take it for what it’s worth coming from someone that resorts to name calling like he’s in grade school.

“baileywalk: You’re the Red Sox troll, so you would know, but I seem to recall the 2005 Red Sox celebrating full-out after the series at Fenway that won the Yanks the division and gave the Sox the wild card.”

Baileywalk, please go to wikipedia, or somewhere, and learn what a troll is. You obviously have no idea what the word means.

You said “every team does it” and when I point to the 2007 Red Sox you point to the 2005 Red Sox. Which does nothing to change the fact that you were flat out wrong. Mistakenly calling me a troll doesn’t change that either, but I can understand being defensive when proven wrong.

16. baileywalk
      September 27th, 2007 | 11:22 pm

Dan, you are a troll, because you come here to stir up shit by preaching to us about the “truth” of the situation. We don’t need to be “set straight” by a Red Sox fan. You add nothing to the conversation because you’re combative, bumptious and smug. So — TROLL.

Anyway, teams that AREN’T going to win the division celebrate the wild card win, which they should, since it is an accomplishment. And your 2005 Red Sox did, but I’m sure you didn’t object to it then.

You didn’t prove anyone wrong and frankly I don’t care what you have to say. I’m not going to let bait me — I’m simply going to ignore you, which is usually the best way to get people like you to just fade away.

17. dan
      September 28th, 2007 | 12:54 am

Baileywalk, I can’t believe I’m responding to you, but here it goes.

Combative? Show me where. Smug? Where? When I have a different opinion, I state it. I’m also a Red Sox fan. You simply can’t take that.

You don’t understand what a troll is, and I don’t think you ever will. But then again, you’re an idiot baileywalk. You always have been. It’s not surprising that you can’t get your mind around what a troll actually does. Instead your simple mind equates red sox fan with troll, no matter what that fan says.

I don’t comment much here, but I read often, and almost not a day goes by when you don’t say something that is flat out ignorant. You don’t understand baseball, so how can you wrap your mind around what a troll actually is?

I hope for your sake you’re still in high school. That’s the only thing that would make sense.

18. September 28th, 2007 | 9:34 am

Guys, can we all play nice now?

19. growlywa
      September 28th, 2007 | 10:36 am

Dan:

I call you a prick because that is what you seem to be: a smug asswipe.

“Boston didn’t. A toast behind closed doors. So I guess every team doesn’t.”

This is a smug statement and worthy of a punch in the teeth in my book. You provoke for the saking of provoking which is the work of a troll and the imperative of a juvenile coward. Of course you know this. You take pride in your assholism like most RSN fans do.

20. dan
      September 28th, 2007 | 1:25 pm

“This is a smug statement and worthy of a punch in the teeth in my book.”

You don’t read any smug statements from yankee fans on here? Are you kidding me? It’s only smug because it’s true. If someone claims that everyone celebrates wild card victories with gallons of alcohol and they’re wrong and I point it out that is not trolling. Again, I realize that a red sox fan with a differing opinion is the definition of troll to you. Just realize you’ve made up your own definition.

Let’s think about this. My statement was true. You responded with name calling, not once, but twice, and then tell me you should punch me in the teeth (I love how big a man you are behind the keyboard). And you call me juvenile? You call me an asshole? You sound like you never left high school.

Steve asked us to stop this, so I will, but you represent the wost kind of yankee fan. That you took this statement:

“Boston didn’t. A toast behind closed doors. So I guess every team doesn’t.”

And went on your little rant, well, I can only suggest therapy.

21. Pete
      September 28th, 2007 | 2:42 pm

Bottom line is that every team that gets into the playoffs deserves to celebrate – 8 teams get in, the rest go home.

No easy task, even as a team with a $200 million payroll proved this season.

And who exactly were the ones making all the noise in the Yankees clubhouse? The kids! I would expect that from ANY team with a bunch of veterans who had all ‘been there, done that’ many times before…

22. growlywa
      September 29th, 2007 | 12:56 pm

Dan:

You’ve called members of this blog idiots, claimed that we think on a highschool level and suggested that some of us may need therapy. After all this, you continue to acuse us of name-calling.

Worst of all, you’ve successfully baited me with your troll-posts.
      The best policy with folks like yourself is to ignore your haughty, provocative-for-the-sake-of-provoking bullshit. Which is exactly what I will do henceforth, Troll.