• September 26th @ The Devil Rays

Posted by on September 27th, 2007 · Comments (10)

When you can clinch with a blow-out, it seems to add to the party mood. Good job in this one by the Yankees.

After losing 29 of their first 50 games, the Yankees have now secured their 13th consecutive post-season berth. (This streak is now one shy of the record set by the Atlanta Braves from 1991-2005.) New York has gone 70-38 in their last 108 games, a winning percentage of .648 to comeback from their terrible start this season. That’s impressive.

The first thought that I had, about the Yankees locking up #13 now, was: “Man, all Yankees fans who are 21-years old or younger, have been spoiled. They really know nothing but making the post-season.” But, then I thought: “Too bad that those who are 14-years old or younger probably don’t know what it’s like to see them win a ring.”

Hopefully, the Yankees will win one for the youngsters this season.

After the game, Derek Jeter said: “This definitely has been the hardest one. We really battled.” Derek may or may not be right about that one – after all, 2005 was a battle too – but, this one is surely right up there with the more recent tough seasons for New York.

In any event, now, a new season begins for the Yankees – October, 2007. Let’s hope that they don’t get off to a slow start in this second season.

Good to hear that George Steinbrenner was at the game – even if he left after 7 innings. It’s nice that the boys put on a good show for the Big Stein on a special day.

In addition to doing it for the youngsters, hopefully the Yankees will now win one for Stein, an old-timer, as well. This could be his last shot at seeing one while he knows what’s going on…

Comments on September 26th @ The Devil Rays

1. mehmattski
      September 27th, 2007 | 9:00 am

I just wanted to make sure you saw the following quote from A-Rod. You seem to consistently post any information that suggests that A-Rod will leave the Bronx after the season. But then there’s this:

“This feels like home. It’s hard to believe that I played for another two organizations. So much has happened to me here, adversity, some success, that I feel like anything but New York feels weird for me now.”

2. dereksTeam
      September 27th, 2007 | 9:59 am

I could not help but think during the emotional aftermath of clinching the wild card and getting into the post season, how much this team fought against the puerile rants offered up by Was Watching during the season: Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu (old, finished); Mike Mussina (five and out, finished); Roger Clemens (ditto); Vizcaino (get rid of him); Farnsworth (get rid of him); Melky (last year’s overachiever); Robinson Cano (last year’s overacheiver, success gone to his head, late night partying) . The frothy vitriolic attacks against Torre, Cashman. I could go on. Your non-apology (“Well, I guess you guys made a lot of money.”).
      Despite the good analysis you do, all your whiney shit-ass “commentary”, the snotty little personal attacks you launched against the guys on MY TEAM — Enjoy the post season, asshole. You don’t deserve it, WAS WHINING. Bye again.

3. rbj
      September 27th, 2007 | 10:07 am

Ok, I’m jumping on the “Yankees will make the postseason” bandwagon.

September 27th, 2007 | 10:38 am

mehmattski: What did you expect him to say? :)

5. baileywalk
      September 27th, 2007 | 10:48 am

Wow. Let’s try to use this as a way to celebrate the team. Not bash Steve for past comments.

Though I have to hand it to dsteam for the dramatic exit. Only if he used a flamethrower to burn the place down could he have gone out with more flair.

Anyway…

You just have to tip your cap to the amazing job this team did, coming back, showing up their naysayers. The old cliche about never giving up holds true for this bunch.

A-Rod’s season has been nothing short of extraordinary. There have been times this year where I said to myself, “I am truly witnessing something special.” A-Rod’s numbers are amazing, but they are not empty. No one will call him a stat-padder for this season.

My team MVP still goes to Pettitte, because I really feel he lent stability to a team in semi-disarray.

What comes next is, of course, a crapshoot. But I feel very good about this team. And I kind of respect and appreciate them getting into the post-season more this year than maybe any other year I’ve followed them.

September 27th, 2007 | 10:55 am

It may have been me, but last night’s squad seemed looser than any I remember in recent memory. I mean even Mussina was goofing around :)

7. redbug
      September 27th, 2007 | 11:47 am

================================================
      And then there’s this from ARod when the Yanks played the Giants this summer….

“I love San Francisco, man,” Rodriguez said. “It’s one of my favorite stadiums. … I love the stadium, I love where it is in the city and I love the vibe in the city. It’s kind of like a West Coast New York with better weather in the summertime.”

I could find similar quotes about Seattle and Texas when he played for the.

8. September 27th, 2007 | 12:02 pm

Ditto what raf and redbug said on A-Rod…

BTW, shame if it gets overlooked in the win last night…Wang doing BTB 19+ seasons. Like I said, it doesn’t happen everyday in Yankeeland:

9. Corey
      September 27th, 2007 | 12:59 pm

i’m 21 and I remember the years of big mike and little mike (mike stanley and mike gallego), pat kelly, danny tartabull, randy velarde, roberto kelly…etc

10. September 27th, 2007 | 1:15 pm

Then you have a good memory!