• October 5th @ The Indians

Posted by on October 5th, 2007 · Comments (19)

The Indians’ starter Fausto Carmona was dominating in this game. The Yankees’ starter Andy Pettitte was simply, flat-out, heroic in this contest. They both deserved to win this game. But, in the end, it came down to the bullpens.

As soon as this game went to extra innings, I thought of “Doug in Seattle.” Thanks to his question last week, we know, that, in “extra innings,” during the regular season, Yankees batters had an OPS of .567 (in 107 PA) and Yankees pitchers allowed an OPS of .845 (in 108 PA).

Why should this game be any different?

Now, about Joba and the bugs. The flying ants were annoying for him in the eighth. Heck, I was getting itchy just watching. But, the bugs didn’t prevent Carmona from pitching a good ninth for Cleveland. And, the bugs didn’t prevent Perez from pitching a good tenth for the Tribe either. If anyone wants to blame the bugs for what happened in the bottom of the eighth, it’s an excuse. Besides, Joba actually got lucky in that frame when the missle from Pronk Hafner was aimed right at Rico Bergman.

Now, here comes the shocker. The Yankees are not dead in this LDS – yet. A win on Sunday gets them to a spot where they probably get to face Paul Byrd in Game Four (on Monday). If the Yankees win Game Three, and then get to face Byrd in Game Four, I like their chances to get back to Cleveland for Game Five.

But, it starts with having to win on Sunday. Clemens better be sharp – and able to go at least six. And, the Yankees bats better come alive when they return to the Bronx – especially their clean-up hitter.

Comments on October 5th @ The Indians

1. Harry
      October 5th, 2007 | 10:00 pm

Tonight hurt. I watched in my fraternity house at the University of Michigan, where everybody was rooting against the Yanks and trying to piss me off every inning. In the bottom of the 10th I locked myself in my room to avoid their tormenting in case we lost. Sure enough, they all start pounding on my door “Go Tribe Go” and “Yankees Suck” until I snapped, opened the door, and tacked the first kid I saw.

I’m going to have to transfer if we lose this fucking series.

2. jonm
      October 5th, 2007 | 10:11 pm

~If the Yankees win Game Three, and then get to face Byrd in Game Four~

Of course, that assumes that Mussina (or Wang on short rest) can outpitch Byrd.

3. baileywalk
      October 5th, 2007 | 10:22 pm

Steve, be real. Joba comes out in the seventh, before the bugs really swarmed, and he is awesome. Strikes out the first batter with three straight sliders. Next inning, the bugs are CRAWLING ON HIS FACE. They are a solid mass around his goddamn head. He walks the first man, can’t find the strikezone (another walk, a hit batsman), and throws two wild pitches. He walked six all year and had one wild pitch. How can you say the bugs didn’t affect him? It’s not like they were pounding him around the yard. He didn’t even give up a hit. Clearly he was uncomfortable.

Let’s face it — we lost this game… because of bugs. I don’t care if that’s an excuse or not. If the bugs didn’t swarm right then, we win that game. The inning before Joba was throwing a filthy slider and a 99-mph fastball. Next inning he can’t find the plate.

Yankee bats did nothing against Carmona. They were lucky to even have the one run. A-Rod will have to endure more “can’t get it done in the post-season” nonsense.

You can’t second-guess bringing in Vizcaino — because the alternative was homer king Farnsworth — but what a chump ‘Caino went out as. They make him load the bases, he gets to a full count, and he’s so scared of walking in the winning run he throws a cookie, BP fastball down the middle and the game is over. I’d rather he walked the man in than just concede.

Yeah, the Yanks COULD come back and win. But will they? I seriously doubt it. We don’t even know what Clemens will look like. And who’s his backup? Hughes? Would they pitch him in that spot? The Yankees have to win twice with a rusty Clemens and Mussina. And then come back and win in the Indians’ ballpark, probably with Wang, who hasn’t been good on the road. Tall order. I hope it’s not, but it’s very likely this season ended with those damn bugs and wild pitch.

Easily the most frustrating game I’ve ever seen.

Andy Pettitte, without question, was amazing tonight. He’ll always get questioned about just how good he really is — just replay this game for evidence of his ability.

4. jonm
      October 5th, 2007 | 11:08 pm

~~A-Rod will have to endure more “can’t get it done in the post-season” nonsense.~~

baileywalk is right. The most likely outcome is that A-Rod continues to choke in the post-season and the Yankees lose one of the next two and exit on their home field. Then the NYC sports media check in and, as a result, it will be seen as beneficial for both A-Rod and the Yankees that A-Rod opt out and leave.

5. snowball003
      October 5th, 2007 | 11:58 pm

I’m with baileywalk. I’m not usually one for pointing fingers or finding excuses, but Joba was awesome in the 7th, obviously not nervous, but could not find the plate when he was pitching through the swarm. It was pretty disgusting. Made me happy for the first time that I wasn’t watching in HD today.

6. JeremyM
      October 5th, 2007 | 11:59 pm

I’m sorry, but Joba had the bugs far worse than any other pitcher. He literally-literally!- had at least 30 of them imbedded on his face and neck. The other players had a few on their faces and swarming, but nothing like Joba. We lost this game because of some freaking bugs. Not a doubt in my mind Joba and Mo close the door there.

Have you ever been stung by a flying ant? It freaking hurts. 30 of them? My God.

The baseball gods hate the Yankees, and I have no idea why.

7. October 6th, 2007 | 12:21 am

I dunno people – the bugs looked just as bad to me during the 9th for Carmona and the 10th for Perez. Sure, they showed up more on Joba in the 8th – because his skin is lighter than that of Carmona and Perez. Judging by the caps of the players, I would say the bugs were just as bad for Carmona and Perez as they were for Joba.

Bad for us. Good for them.

But, both teams played on the same field in the 8th, 9th, and 10th – when the bugs were bad. If it was bad for us, it was bad for all.

See, if the Yankees had caught Boston, they would have had homefield and then the bug thing would have been moot…don’t forget that too…for all those that say homefield means nothing in the post-season…

8. JeremyM
      October 6th, 2007 | 12:27 am

Steve, I have to disagree, I was watching very carefully and yes, the bugs were there for the Indians as well as Mo, but Joba had at least 30 of them biting him on the face and neck, while a ton more were swarming around him. For whatever reason, they really liked Joba. Abreu had quite a few biting him when they zoomed in on him standing on second as well.

The baseball gods hate the Yankees now, no other expanation will do.

9. baileywalk
      October 6th, 2007 | 12:33 am

10. dan
      October 6th, 2007 | 1:42 am

Let’s face it — we lost this game… because of bugs.

Hahahahaha. Man, great game. But bugs? Bad luck? Hilarious.

11. Don
      October 6th, 2007 | 2:13 am

The bugs were as bad for Carmona.

Too bad Wang didn’t pitch like Carmona. When I see a young Yankees pitcher throw a playoff game like that, then I’ll believe in ‘em. Until then, they’re all prospects.

12. Pete
      October 6th, 2007 | 8:42 am

>> Again, using the bugs as an excuse…is just an excuse. Joba allowed them to be a distraction – Carmona and Perez didn’t allow it to happen. >>

Consider this, though – the Indians players surely have had this happen before. Maybe they know how to handle it.

It was affecting the entire infield – I saw Jeter waving his glove the whole inning. The Yanks are lucky it didn’t cause any more problems than it did…

13. MJ
      October 6th, 2007 | 9:01 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. JeremyM
      October 6th, 2007 | 9:08 am

Oh yay, joyful dan is here, I’m sure if that happened to the Sox, you’d be real chipper about it. Give me a break.

15. antone
      October 6th, 2007 | 9:41 am

I knew we were doomed because the Scooter hated bugs!!! Not a good sign!!

I do agree that it seemed like there were more bugs for Joba, either way he was the only one who let the bugs affect his pitching, can’t say I blame him, but I’m sure like ANY baseball fan, it would have been nice to see what would have happened if there were NO bugs at all.

You always have certain things that can affect the game but I don’t think a swarm of bugs should have to be one of the things you deal with, it just plain sucks that we will never know what would have happened if there were no bugs and if it really did affect the outcome.

October 6th, 2007 | 9:49 am

Maybe it’s me, but looking @ the replays, it looked to me that Posada could have done a better job of blocking the ball that got Sizemore to 2b. The WP that scored Sizemore could’ve been handled better too, but I can’t really fault Posada on that.

17. antone
      October 6th, 2007 | 10:02 am

I agree Raf I think he could have done a better job, I also think he shouldn’t have had Joba throwing the slider in that situation since he wasn’t getting it over the plate that inning and kept missing low and in. Probably should have stuck with the fastball.

18. jonm
      October 6th, 2007 | 11:00 am

~~~~~An A-Rod-less Yankees will make it easier for us fans. We can cede the AL East to the Red Sox and concentrate on winning the 90-92 games required for the wildcard next year.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone explain to me how that’s good for the Yanks? The Yankees won 94 games this year thanks in large part to A-Rod’s MVP season and Posada having arguably the best or second-best season of his career. Would the 2007 Yanks have won 94 games without A-Rod this year?~~~~~

MJ, I was being sarcastic. If A-Rod doesn’t turn it around this series, I can’t see how the media can NOT end up running him out of town. The whole A-Rod controversy, I think, is media-generated; fans who boo are simply following media cues.

19. bluke
      October 6th, 2007 | 11:25 pm

If there is a game 5 Petitte can pitch it on his regular 4 days rest (Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday). I will take that matchup Pettite against Sabatthia game 5. We just need to get that far.