• October 7th vs. The Indians

Posted by on October 7th, 2007 · Comments (8)

When this game started, and Roger Clemens was shaky, my first thoughts were: “Here we go again. Another sudden-death October game where the Yanks are counting on an old and/or injured starter to get them another day of life…and, it’s still not working.”

And, then, the call was made to the pen. May I start the music?

Don’t the best of them bleed it out,
    While the rest of them peter out.
    Truth or consequence, say it aloud,
    Use that evidence, race it around.

There goes my hero.
    Watch him as he goes.
    There goes my hero.
    He’s Philip Hughes.

Phil Hughes was the reason why the Yankees won this game. One cannot say enough about his effort in this contest. I know that I’ve been critical of his “stuff” at times this season. But, in this game, Hughes showed that he has what’s needed when the rubber meets the road. Big time.

Oh, and, by the way, it’s nice to see that Trot Nixon still has issues charging in on basehits. That miscue was a huge play in this game.

It is too bad for Clemens, if this is the end. Still, as cheerleaders go, you could have worse ones on your bench than Rocket. Maybe he can help the team in that way the rest of the way?

Now, the Yankees mission is clear: Get a big lead early tomorrow. Use Wang, Mussina, or whoever you need to shutdown the Tribe batters. Take Rafael Perez’ and Rafael Betancourt’s impact on the game out of the picture for Cleveland. And, bring this series back to Jacobs Field for Game Five.

And, you can worry about Game Five when you have to play Game Five.

Comments on October 7th vs. The Indians

1. Nick from Washington Heights
      October 7th, 2007 | 10:29 pm

agreed, Steve. Hughes was special tonight. What is he? 21, 22? Incredible poise tonight, and great pitching.

2. Harry
      October 7th, 2007 | 10:32 pm

My buddy (a Yankee-hating Cub fan) like to make side bet after side bet when we watch any sporting event. For example, I made about $60 off him in the Cubs series as he gave me 1:10 odds on $5 that Soriano would hit a home run whenever he was at bat.

Well, I thought I was taking him for even more money when I gave him 1:20 odds on $20 when he said Roger Clemens would get into trouble early in the game and then leave with an injury.

There goes my booze money for the week.

3. Joel
      October 7th, 2007 | 11:25 pm

Johnny Damon after the game: “I think Phil Hughes just introduced himself to the world tonight.”

4. JeremyM
      October 7th, 2007 | 11:53 pm

Wang starting tomorrow, I have a feeling he’s going to make up for his disaster in game one–I hope.

Hated to see Clemens go out like that, but rarely do pitchers get the “Angels in the Outfield” ending, walking off the field in the World Series after emptying the tank in a winning effort. Thank God Hughes was there to pick the team up, I hope that was the harbinger of great things to come from him. Fantastic.

As long as the Yanks stay relaxed and try not to do too much, they can hammer Byrd and force game 5. Go Yanks!

5. baileywalk
      October 8th, 2007 | 12:07 am

Hughes was just amazing tonight. Think about this: his only “post-season experience,” outside of a AA playoff game in front of five thousand people, was his two innings in a blowout. This is the youngest pitcher in the league. He only had a few AAA starts this year. He’s straight out of high school, so unlike Joba he’s never been a part of a big-time college playoff. From AA to saving the Yankees’ season. WOW. Just an absolutely terrific effort by Hughes.

What’s also interesting is that knowing Wang was going to pitch tomorrow, Torre STILL went to Hughes and not Mussina. Season on the line and they chose Hughes over Moose. That really says something.

Cano seemed to get lost in all the Damon/Hughes post-game chatter. He had a really big game tonight too.

Hughes got the first of hopefully many post-season wins tonight.

Finally, I can sleep easily. Boys, I think we have ourselves a series here.

6. RICH
      October 8th, 2007 | 8:48 am

baileywalk,

I agree with your Hughes sentiments.

BTW, Felix Hernandez is still the youngest pitcher in the league – it’s amazing to think he’s already pitched 2.5 seasons and he’s still 21 and a 1/2.

7. B
      October 8th, 2007 | 9:00 am

Hughes was born on June 24, 1986.

Felix was born on April 8, 1986.

8. RICH
      October 8th, 2007 | 10:52 am

B,

Thanks. I got mixed up on the months.