• Let’s Not Count Our Byrds Before They’re Cooked

Posted by on October 8th, 2007 · Comments (6)

Everyone likes to talk about how the Yankees pounded Paul Byrd back in August of this year. What about before that game?

On July 5, 2006, the Yankees batted Byrd around pretty good – but, Byrd’s team also hurt him with bad defense in that game. Prior to that, on June 13, 2006, Byrd pitched a great game against the Yankees. And, the time before that, on July 30, 2005, Byrd had a solid outing against New York too.

So, when you look at the last four starts that Byrd had against the Yankees, it’s not like New York has owned him all the time.

The big number for New York tonight is Byrd’s last 5 starts this season – where he’s thrown 29 IP with an ERA of 6.83 (over that time). If you’re a Yankees fan, you like those numbers.

But, Byrd’s had 10 days rest now since he’s last pitched. In the six games that he’s pitched this season with 6+ days rest, Byrd’s ERA is 3.86 in 37.1 IP. As a Yankees fan, that concerns me, somewhat, this evening.

There’s a chance that Paul Byrd could give the Indians a good start tonight and then turn the ball over to Rafael Perez and Rafael Betancourt for three or four innings. And, it might be as much as a 50-50 chance too.

Comments on Let’s Not Count Our Byrds Before They’re Cooked

1. MJ
      October 8th, 2007 | 11:37 am

Didn’t the Yanks also hit Byrd fairly hard in one of the 2005 ALDS games? I could be wrong but I thought the Yanks faced him in 2005 and chased him after 3 innings or something like that.

But, Steve, I’m right there with you. The Yanks are just as likely to crush him as they are to go back into their slump and fade out meekly. I’ve seen it go both ways for us in the playoffs these past several years so nothing would surprise me. And Paul Byrd is just the kind of scrubby loser that the Yanks could beat, should beat…but, too often, don’t beat.

2. October 8th, 2007 | 12:05 pm

Good catch MJ!
      Yes, Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS:

The Yanks had a big 4th inning vs. Byrd in that one.

3. Pete
      October 8th, 2007 | 12:13 pm

I think the important thing is we’ve hammered him more times than not.

Go Yanks!

4. baileywalk
      October 8th, 2007 | 1:06 pm

I’m not saying this is an automatic win or anything, but Wedge is doing the Yankees a favor. I think C.C. on three days’ rest is better than a fully-rested Byrd. Verducci guessed that Wedge didn’t want to go into the ALCS without C.C. or Carmona ready to pitch. This is possible — but you can’t think that far ahead.

I know it’s not even worth mentioning right now, but if not for a bug swarm the Yankees might be going for the kill tonight. Instead, we have to hope for a game five and that Andy can work magic again.

And if he does, Mussina in game one against the Sox in Fenway? Hughes making his Fenway debut in the playoffs?

Oh, wait, you can’t think that far ahead… my bad.

5. October 8th, 2007 | 1:15 pm

Wedge is probably taking orders from the Tribe GM – who is smart on the numbers. Just about every starting pitcher is not the same on 3-days rest.

If you can avoid it, you do it.

FWIW, assuming the Yankees can win tonight – and then again on Wednesday, I would have no issue with Hughes starting Game 1 of the ALCS in Fenway on Friday – with Mussina backing him up in the pen…as he will be backing up Wang today and Pettitte on Wednesday, if necessary.

6. baileywalk
      October 8th, 2007 | 1:45 pm

Hughes made his bones last night. I have no problem with him making that start either — and truthfully, with Roger gone, he’s going to have to.

I’m not a Torre fan, but getting Hughes those two innings in game one turns out to be a huge bonus. And now using Hughes in this spot, and him coming through, probably boosts his confidence and allows him to just settle down and pitch if he’s called on again.