• Joe Torre Making The Rounds

Posted by on October 22nd, 2007 · Comments (11)

From Smallscreen -

Former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre visits the “Late Show with David Letterman,” Monday, October 29.

This appearance will be Torre’s first broadcast network television interview since leaving the Team, on Monday, Oct. 29 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

From LoHud Yankees Blog -

In other news, Joe Torre will be on HBO tomorrow night getting interviewed by Bob Costas.

Looks like Joe has the “Red Light” fever.

Comments on Joe Torre Making The Rounds

1. MJ
      October 22nd, 2007 | 10:17 pm

Looks like Joe has the “Red Light” fever.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I don’t see why that’s a bad thing. He’s not the manager of the Yankees anymore. He doesn’t represent us. Let him do his thing. Honestly, still hating him is kind of pathetic.

2. baileywalk
      October 22nd, 2007 | 11:11 pm

3. brockdc
      October 23rd, 2007 | 12:49 am

Man, is there any other way to make your point than by implying someone’s “pathetic”? Come on, this ain’t LOHUD.

4. Tex Antoine
      October 23rd, 2007 | 6:15 am

If it were LOHUD the moderator would be calling a poster pathetic for daring to speak ill of Torre.

5. Joel
      October 23rd, 2007 | 8:27 am

Good for Joe. He is starting the next chapter of his career which could be as a media personality or as manager of another big-market franchise.

You mean those those savvy PR guys in Tampa didn’t think that Joe was going to tour the country and kick the living shit out of them?

This is just the beginning. The New York Times #1 Bestseller is only months away.

6. October 23rd, 2007 | 8:41 am

~~~Honestly, still hating him is kind of pathetic.~~~

MJ, with all due respect, two days ago, I wrote:

“He ran the team for 12 years and they reached the post-season in all 12 years. Torre was all class and that projected on to the team. The Joe Torre Era in Yankees history was one of the best in franchise history.”

and, after his press conference the other day, I wrote:

“In any event, great job by Joe today. Class – all the way.”

and, on October 18th, I wrote:

“Thus, the Joe Torre Era in Yankees history appears to be over. It was one of the great periods in the franchise timeline – with 12 post-season appearances in 12 seasons. And, it helped both the Yankees and Joe Torre. This run helped put the Yankees where they are today…in terms of building huge revenue streams.”

Does that sound like I hate the guy?

7. MJ
      October 23rd, 2007 | 9:33 am

Baileywalk: “Sometimes it seems like you guys are one step away from pelting poor Steve with batteries.”

Me: Not true. I like Steve and he knows it. I didn’t personally attack him and never have at any point in the 2+ years that I’ve been reading and commenting. You can’t lump me in with some other people here.

Brockdc: “Man, is there any other way to make your point than by implying someone’s “pathetic”?”

Me: I didn’t say Steve was pathetic, I said that expending any energy criticizing someone who no longer works for the team is a futile endeavor. Live and let live.

Steve: “Does that sound like I hate the guy?”

Me: The term “red light” often has a negative connotation in sports. I know that you’ve written some complimentary things about Joe in recent days – as evidenced by the citations – but I also know that you’ve used the phrase “red light” in negative ways many, many times (in reference to Schilling, among others). It seemed like a potshot to me.

8. October 23rd, 2007 | 9:43 am

~~~The term “red light” often has a negative connotation in sports.~~~

Agreed. And, that’s the way that I meant it. But, just because I’m down now, on his efforts to get as much media as possible, doesn’t mean I hate the man, on the whole, or the job that he’s done the last 12 years.

You can repsect someone and still disagree with one or two of their actions.

9. rbj
      October 23rd, 2007 | 9:53 am

Why get on Torre for these two shows? One is a late night talk show based in NY — where he just finished managing for 12 years. The other is a show hosted by a sportscaster interviewing a significant sports figure. Both seem appropriate. And sure, he’s probably trumpeting his own name to help lure another managing gig, but I’ve got no beef with a man who wants to work.

Now, depending on what he says in those interviews, then there may be valid criticism.

10. MJ
      October 23rd, 2007 | 10:23 am

Agreed. And, that’s the way that I meant it.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Which brings me back to my original point. He doesn’t represent us anymore. Unless he totally trashes the franchise, calls out players, and generally behaves the way Gary Sheffield would behave in such a scenario, then I’d either (1) totally ignore the fact that he’s putting himself out there or (2) worry about what he says after he says it.

No one should begrudge Torre for accepting interviews. Don’t forget, we don’t know if he sought them out or if it was the other way around. If Letterman called you, Steve, wouldn’t you at least consider sitting up there with him?

11. October 23rd, 2007 | 10:28 am

~~~If Letterman called you, Steve, wouldn’t you at least consider sitting up there with him?~~~

After having the media camp out in my driveway, etc., I would probably want to go to Barbados or something for a month – to chill out and be left alone – rather than continue to have to get in front of cameras, answer questions, etc. But, that’s me. Torre obviously feels a need to keep getting out there, and telling the story, even after a 67 minutes press conference just days ago.