• The 2007 World Series

Posted by on October 24th, 2007 · Comments (13)

Last night was a Bones and House doubleheader night for my house – as Tuesday nights have become now. Of course, during commercial breaks, FOX plugged Game 1 of the World Series. The first time this happened yesterday, and FOX highlighted the teams in the game, my wife turned to me and said “Oh, that’s right. This must be killing you” (referencing that the Red Sox were in the World Series).

My answer to that was “Not really.”

And, I mean it.

Don’t get me wrong here. I don’t like the Red Sox and I would be happy to see them lose the World Series. I would be thrilled to see Schilling, Beckett and Dice-K get pounded by the Rockies – Papelbon too.

But, if Boston won the Series, I would not be heart-broken. Perhaps it’s because they already won in 2004 and the “1918” thing doesn’t apply anymore? Or, maybe it’s just because I realize that the Red Sox are a very good team? They won the A.L. East. They beat the Angels and the Indians in the playoffs. They deserve to be in the World Series. They earned it. No one handed them anything. Therefore, if Boston wins a ring this year, you have to tip your cap to them.

I think most Yankees fans should feel this way about the Red Sox being in the Fall Classic – with a good chance to win it. What ever happens, happens – and it’s no skin off our nose. Or, am I the only one that feels this way?

Comments on The 2007 World Series

1. jonm
      October 24th, 2007 | 11:57 am

I’m with you. Maybe it’s just age, but it seems like I’ve come to realize that life is too short to passionately root AGAINST a team. Of course, I could not be like Rudy and root for the Red Sox either.

I have a mild interest in rooting for the Rockies — only because last night on XM I heard an interview with Jeff Francis and he struck me as an genuinely nice and humble guy.

2. unmoderated
      October 24th, 2007 | 12:22 pm

Yeah, no problems with the Sox at all. I still hate Schilling/Varitek/Pedroia/Beckett, but as a team, they have my blessing.

3. Lee Sinins
      October 24th, 2007 | 12:32 pm

Since I already recognize the Red Sox as the 2007 World Champions, the World Series doesn’t really mean anything to me, other than a few more games to watch.

I don’t like the Red Sox, but I just can’t get any extra animosity towards them. The Yankees-Red Sox history is so tilted in our favor that I can’t find the hatred towards them.

4. D. Baseball 23
      October 24th, 2007 | 12:35 pm

It’s strange, but I feel the same way. I hate many sox players individually, but the same holds true with players on other teams too.

Sox fans are much more wrapped up in hating the Yankees than we are about them. They are just another team that we have to beat to get to the WS.

The Fenway Park tour guides bash the Yankees left and right during the tour. Their inferiority complex will last forever.

5. MJ
      October 24th, 2007 | 12:54 pm

The 2007 Sawx definitely earned their pennant, I can’t deny that. And I’m with you that the 2004 World Series took some of the sting out of any future titles the Sawx might win.

Having said that, there’s no way I’m indifferent/rooting for them. Manny, Beckett, Papelbon, Pedroia, Varitek, Mirabelli, Drew, and Youkilis are guys I just love to hate and that outweighs anything else I might be feeling.

6. Pete
      October 24th, 2007 | 12:59 pm

>> What ever happens, happens – and it’s no skin off our nose. Or, am I the only one that feels this way? >>

2004 definitely helped as far as the ‘sting’ of it all for this year, but the other aspect of them winning *again* is the comparisons to our run in the late 90′s.

Umm, hey guys, hate to break it to ya, but you *missed* the playoffs last year. Yanks haven’t sat home in October since the labor strike.

7. RichDank
      October 24th, 2007 | 2:50 pm

A knowledgeable Red Sox fan in my grad school classes declared during the early part of the ALCS that he didn’t mind the Sox losing since it would give him more time to study. Then the Manny quote came. The Red Sox seem more like a social club than the Yankees, and even more annoying is how they’ve fallen ass backward into luck lately. Between Schilling, Varitek, Ortiz and Pedrioa it’s hard to find players on the team to really like.

8. jakes
      October 24th, 2007 | 3:00 pm

A post saying “I don’t like the red sox but they deserve it. Comment after comment saying “I don’t like the sox, but they deserve it”. Then this…

“and even more annoying is how they’ve fallen ass backward into luck lately”

Too funny.

9. dakranker
      October 24th, 2007 | 3:11 pm

I really wish I felt that way, Steve. But unfurtunately I can’t.

I hate all the players and I hate RSN. I can’t stand they are playing the WS and wer aren’t. This is going to be their 2nd WS title in the last 4 years and I am starting to think that maybe the curse was reversed after all.

10. wally26
      October 24th, 2007 | 3:45 pm

While on paper the Sox should win easily, the Rockies have a great story to root for. They had to win a one game playoff to get in and they play with a ton of class. On the other side, look at the lack of class that thugs like Beckett, Papelbon, and the whiney Youkilis show. They watch way too much of Sox loving ESPN (aka ESPNESN). I hope this is like ’03 when the Yanks and everyone took Florida for granted. There is not one sole that is predicting a Rox win, that in itself would make it a great story.

11. jakes
      October 24th, 2007 | 7:01 pm

The panel on Sports Illustrated has 4 of 11 picking the rox. On espn Stark is picking the Rox. I could go on, but why.

Do you just make stuff up?

12. Josh
      October 24th, 2007 | 10:21 pm

~am I the only one that feels this way?~

You, and apparantly, some other strange people on this site. As for me, I hope they lose and lose badly. What kind of Yankee fan would think otherwise? (exc. perhaps for Rudy Guiliani). Of course, the Sox will win and I think win easily.

13. singledd
      October 24th, 2007 | 10:45 pm

Perhaps it’s because you don’t live in New England, where I will not be able to turn on the TV without being bombarded with ‘The Red Sox Winnnnnnnnnnn!!!’ 20 times a day until April.