• Heyman: Girardi & Mattingly ’50-50′

Posted by on October 25th, 2007 · Comments (11)

Click here to read what Jon has to say on this. I found this part interesting:

Whatever is decided, MLB would prefer the Yankees wait until after the World Series to make the call. While an MLB spokesman said he didn’t think official permission to make the announcement would be granted, the Yankees appear to be shooting for the World Series off-day Friday (though “we won’t rush it,” one Yankees person said). MLB prefers the Yankees wait, but Yankees people ignored MLB’s request not to have a conference call Wednesday with Pena and want to get on with their immensely busy winter.

When you consider how much money the Yankees give MLB, I say “Tell us on Friday” and the heck with what they would prefer (the Yankees did with the announcement).

Comments on Heyman: Girardi & Mattingly ’50-50′

1. MJ
      October 25th, 2007 | 2:12 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Plus, an announcement like this would hardly upstage the WS if there isn’t a game that day. What? People who would otherwise watch the WS will instead turn off their TV’s and hop online to see what Yankee bloggers have to say about it? It’s not like ESPN won’t cover the game in all 258 editions of SportsCenter before and after Saturday’s Game 3.

Eff what MLB wants. I want a Maserati and Monica Belluci. I have neither.

2. JeremyM
      October 25th, 2007 | 2:26 pm

I can only assume that they also tried to stop KC from naming Trey Hillman as manager during the playoffs.

Baseball needs to find a way to get those ugly World Series patches off of uniforms before they worry about this kind of stuff…..

3. baileywalk
      October 25th, 2007 | 2:41 pm

Say they do hire Girardi — what do they do with Mattingly? Does he just walk away and say “thanks for the last four years”? There’s little doubt they implicitly promised him the job when he came on as a coach. Now they have the opportunity to hire him — and they don’t? Won’t he feel totally disrespected?

I’m not saying they should hire him because of this… I’m just curious what the fallout will be with Donnie.

4. MJ
      October 25th, 2007 | 2:56 pm

Baileywalk, I’m sure you’re right that Mattingly will feel like he was promised something. In part, that’s the problem with baseball issues running from above Cashman’s head.

The fallout will likely be that Donnie will go back to Indiana and seethe for a bit. If he decides to go all Yogi on them and turn his back, so be it. It’ll be a shame but the team can’t pick Donnie over Girardi if they don’t think it’s the best course of action for the team.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I’d rather move on without Donnie. Do we always want to have to worry about what the fallout will be? If Donnie gets fired as manager three years from now? If Donnie gets undermined from within the organization? If Donnie gets absolutely destroyed in the press? You can’t hire a guy that you always have to walk on eggshells with.

5. Pete
      October 25th, 2007 | 3:13 pm

>> Eff what MLB wants. >>

Exactly – what are they going to do to us even if we break into Game 7, bottom of the ninth with a press conference?

We’re the Yankees, god damn it! ;-)

6. baileywalk
      October 25th, 2007 | 3:16 pm

I think they should hire who they feel is best for the job — if it’s Pena, Donnie or Joe — but if Donnie gets passed over they will have a mess on their hands.

I think it would be a big blow for the organization to lose Donnie. I also wouldn’t be shocked if someone else hired him as a manager (Willie and Girardi both got jobs with their only experience being a bench coach for the Yanks).

Again, if they think Girardi (or Pena) is the correct choice, CHOOSE THAT GUY. You can’t make this decision on who you like the best or who was promised the job, etc. However… let’s be honest here… if they do pass on Donnie, I don’t think you can just cavalierly say that they have to move on without him. Personally, if Donnie walks away pissed and doesn’t want anything to do with this team anymore, it will be an apocalyptic shitstorm. I don’t think there’s another Yankee that fans, and people in baseball, like more than Donnie.

It would hurt to see him leave and then manage elsewhere. Anyway, that’s what I believe…

7. Pete
      October 25th, 2007 | 3:25 pm

>> It would hurt to see him leave and then manage elsewhere. >>

Not me – I’d actually enjoy the prospect of him managing another team.

>> Personally, if Donnie walks away pissed and doesn’t want anything to do with this team anymore, it will be an apocalyptic shitstorm. >>

From a PR standpoint, yes, but I don’t see how that would affect the current team’s chances next year. Unless you feel we can’t possibly find a better bench coach than Mattingly.

I just hope that if the ultimate choice is Donnie, that he does have some measure of success here. As someone on BB said, I think part of the reason a lot of folks don’t want him in there is because they can’t stand to see him lose anymore.

8. baileywalk
      October 25th, 2007 | 4:04 pm

——

Obviously that’s what I meant. I think you could have Sarah Silverman manage this team next year and it would win 90+ games.

But losing Donnie would be big — I think the fans would be outraged and it would put a huge target on Girardi’s back. He would have to win and win big for the fans to forgive him (even though he had nothing to do with it). Same thing goes for Cashman: if he’s the GM that alienated Donnie Baseball, he would have a big bull’s-eye on his forehead unless he won the WS.

9. October 25th, 2007 | 4:20 pm

~~~But losing Donnie would be big — I think the fans would be outraged and it would put a huge target on Girardi’s back. ~~~

That’s the funny part for me – as I think this would be true too. But, then, I see so many fan polls where Girardi is the leader or at least tied with Donnie. So, maybe it’s not an issue?

10. Pete
      October 25th, 2007 | 4:30 pm

>> Same thing goes for Cashman: if he’s the GM that alienated Donnie Baseball, he would have a big bull’s-eye on his forehead unless he won the WS. >>

I don’t think it rests solely on Cashman. In fact, I could see Hank taking most of the blame – he seems to be the most outspoken voice of the team right now, and IMO public perception would be that it was his and Levine’s decision concerning the new manager.

11. October 25th, 2007 | 5:37 pm

if i was a betting man, i would say that the big 3 want Donnie but Cash wants Girardi…