• Steve Balboni & Wayne Tolleson

Posted by on October 25th, 2007 · Comments (11)

Bones & Tolley were two of Don Mattingly’s closest friends when they were teammates in New York. I wonder if Donnie would try to add them to the coaching staff, if he gets the manager’s spot?

I would like to see Mattingly get a good bench coach, if he’s named skipper. Someone like Jerry Narron or Dave Miley, who has experience managing, would be a plus, in my opinion.

Comments on Steve Balboni & Wayne Tolleson

1. jonm
      October 25th, 2007 | 12:49 pm

I had a crazy thought. Why not hire Buck Showalter as bench coach? He and Mattingly were close friends in the minor leagues and Mattingly would trust him. Second, if things weren’t working out with Mattingly, it would be rather stupid on the Yankees’ part to replace him with the bench coach — the man who was giving him advice. Third, having Buck as bench coach takes advantage of his analytic strengths while neutralizing his major weakness – his tendency to be a control freak.

2. October 25th, 2007 | 12:55 pm

Buck would never do it – and, I’m not sure that the Yankees would welcome him back.

3. jonm
      October 25th, 2007 | 1:01 pm

I’m not sure about that. Buck did love being a Yankee and I would think that almost all of the anti-Buck faction is long gone. It’s not as if teams are banging down Buck’s door with managerial offers; it seems like he might be done as a manager unless he rehabilitates his reputation somehow.

Of course, the major problem is the A-Rod factor; that’s probably why it wouldn’t happen.

4. MJ
      October 25th, 2007 | 1:14 pm

Are Balboni and/or Tolleson still in the game? I’m actually kind of curious to know the answer. So Balboni as hitting coach, Tolleson as first base coach, Charles Hudson as pitching coach, Pat Kelly as bench coach, with Matt Nokes at third base and Steve Trout coaching the bullpen? The all crappy Yankees of my youth team?

I’m with you, however. If Donnie is named the manager, I’d rather he get someone with some experience sitting next to him. I also hope that both Pena and Bowa decide to stay on staff. I love what Bowa’s done at third base and I think he’s had a positive impact on Cano’s skills as an infielder.

5. Andrew
      October 25th, 2007 | 1:23 pm

Well, it’s been shown that it’s the marginal players who make the best coaches. The reason being that the players who did well had so much natural talent that they didn’t really have to think too much about mechanics and whatnot (like Guidry, Mattingly), while the players who really struggled to stay relevant (Kevin Long for example) are the guys who know best what NOT to do, because they did it throughout their careers, or something like that. Dave Eiland is another marginal major leaguer, and someone who I think could become a great pitching coach for the Yankees, much better than Guidry was this year.

6. baileywalk
      October 25th, 2007 | 1:46 pm

Well, it’s been shown that it’s the marginal players who make the best coaches.
      ——-

I’m not sure that holds up. Just look at this team alone: Donnie was a good hitting coach, and for all his natural ability he was a man obsessed with swing mechanics; and Tony Pena was a great defensive catcher and is a master teacher of those techniques.

They’re not coaches (yet), but people like Mussina or Roger Clemens are both said to be excellent teachers.

So I would say it goes both ways.

For what it’s worth, I’ve written (as have many) the same thing about Dave Eiland hopefully becoming the pitching coach next year.

7. jonm
      October 25th, 2007 | 1:50 pm

I like Eiland too, but as bullpen coach. I would be disappointed if the Yankees didn’t at least take a shot at Mazzone when he’s a free agent.

8. October 25th, 2007 | 1:50 pm

~~~Are Balboni and/or Tolleson still in the game?~~~

Bones:

Tolleson is MIA, to my knowledge. Not in the game.

9. jonm
      October 25th, 2007 | 2:23 pm

The Rockies should hire Tolleson. He and Jerry Terrell from the Royals were the first two evangelicals that I remember hearing about in MLB.

10. Tex Antoine
      October 25th, 2007 | 2:38 pm

Jeez…Balbonadin Tolleson? Just what we need: daily reminders of how crummy the Yankees used to be when Mattingly was their mainstay. Who’s the pitching coach? Andy “the Anchor” Hawkins?

11. rbj
      October 25th, 2007 | 3:10 pm

Maybe move Mussina over to pitching coach. Sure he’d be overpaid at that position, but I’m not sure I can stand another year of bad Moose. Mattingly or Girardi should have an experienced hand as bench coach — maybe Bowa?