• Jon Lieber

Posted by on October 30th, 2007 · Comments (10)

We know that Joe Girardi and Jon Lieber are friends.

Lieber is a Free Agent this off-season.

I would not be shocked to see Lieber sign a one-year deal, with a team option for a second year, with the Yankees now (that Girardi is running the team).

Yes, Lieber will be 38-years old next year. But, since he’s come back from Tommy John Surgery, over the last four years, he’s been (about) a league-average performer on the mound.

At the worst, he could be insurance for Joba Chamberlain and Mike Mussina in the rotation (as one is a rookie and the other is an older player) – and he could be used as a long-man in the pen (which is something that Girardi has said that he likes to see on a team).

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying this is a “must” move for the Yankees…it’s far from that. I’m just saying that it would not shock me to see it happen.

Comments on Jon Lieber

1. rbj
      October 30th, 2007 | 12:48 pm

Interesting idea. could be good, and almost a necessity if Andy doesn’t come back. I’ve got no faith that Mussina will be good next year.

2. Andrew
      October 30th, 2007 | 12:49 pm

That would be great if he would agree to a one-year deal.

Unfortunately, I don’t think he will. He can command two years with other, more pitching-starved organizations.

3. brockdc
      October 30th, 2007 | 1:09 pm

It’s hard to get excited about a 38-year-old Jon Lieber, but I actually like this idea, whether Pettite signs or not. We’re all high on Kennedy, Hughes, and Joba right now; but chances are one of those guys doesn’t pan out (or gets injured). And in that instance, it would be smart to have a guy in the rotation who could give league average (or slightly worse) pitching over 180 innings.

4. Pete
      October 30th, 2007 | 1:15 pm

Pass. Moose should be the long man – he did very well in this role down the stretch in September, and IMO he should consider it a way to extend his career.

He’s not going to be racking up many more wins this way, but it DOES contribute to our bullpen and gives us a better chance of winning.

5. mehmattski
      October 30th, 2007 | 1:18 pm

According to the search results from this blog, “Jon Lieber” has been mentioned in no fewer than 20 posts since May 2005, when he wasn’t on the team. Some of those were data-searching posts, but on June 9, 2005 there was a post talking about how the Yankees would be better if they had kept Lieber. The following year, on July 13, 2006, there was a post that warned about Lieber being traded to the Red Sox as something that “must be blocked… at all costs.”

I just find that level of attention on a pitcher with a career ERA+ of 103 to be… interesting.

6. MJ
      October 30th, 2007 | 1:38 pm

Mehmattski…agreed. I don’t know why we’re STILL talking about John Lieber. Don’t the Yanks have young arms that could serve in a long-relief role? Why would the team go back to an elderly retread who barely qualifies as average?

7. Sky
      October 30th, 2007 | 1:54 pm

I like the idea (pending money necessary), although I’d rather see Lieber in the rotation and the young guys take turns in the pen. If all goes right, then sure, you’ve got an extra pitcher or two. But if all goes right, that’s a good thing. It’s nice to break in young arms without having them throw 200 IP their first year (plus likely post-season).

League-average pitching has gone for almost $8 million per season, but I think Lieber might sign for well below that. I also think Mussina might surprise people next year with an ERA more in the 4.50 range.

8. RICH
      October 30th, 2007 | 2:07 pm

What makes you think Girardi is going to have a say on roster makeup?

9. October 30th, 2007 | 2:38 pm

~~~What makes you think Girardi is going to have a say on roster makeup?~~~

Could be indirect -
      Lieber’s agent calls Cashman – suggests that he asks Joe for input, and then Girardi gushes over the idea.

It doesn’t have to start, directly, from Joe.

10. SteveB
      October 30th, 2007 | 4:06 pm

Girardi isn’t running a damn thing. He is the manager. Cashman and the Steinbrenners are running the team.