• Pettitte Speaks About 2008

Posted by on October 31st, 2007 · Comments (16)

From mlb.com -

Andy Pettitte has already come to one important decision this offseason. The left-hander will either pitch for the Yankees in 2008, or he will not pitch at all.

The 35-year-old Pettitte told a television station on Tuesday at his Houston-area golf tournament that he is in no rush to trigger his $16 million player option for next season, with a decision required by 10 days after the close of the World Series.

But Pettitte confirmed that he does not intend to turn down the option to pitch for another team.

“The New York Yankees committed an awful lot of money to me and put it in my hands, gave me a player option and trusted me with that option,” Pettitte told KRIV-TV. “It probably wouldn’t be real honorable for me not to do anything other than if I shut it down, shut it down or go back and play for the New York Yankees.”

O.K., that’s all great. But, from the same report, we have this:

Pettitte said that the Yankees lined up three strong candidates in Girardi, Don Mattingly and Tony Pena, all of whom would have made good choices.

“The three guys they interviewed, it would have been great for any of them,” Pettitte said. “They are all great men. I don’t think they could have went wrong with anybody they picked.

“I played with Joe. He’s caught me plenty. He’s a great baseball man. He’s going to do a good job for them.”

He’s going to do a good job for them.

Andy, did you say “them“? (And, not “us”?)

I’m starting to get a little nervous that Pettitte is leaning towards retirement.

Comments on Pettitte Speaks About 2008

1. Pete
      October 31st, 2007 | 1:33 pm

‘Them’ could have meant Yankees ownership. Just a guess.

2. October 31st, 2007 | 1:36 pm

A rotation with Wang, Moose(?) and three young arms could collapse pretty easily…

3. jonm
      October 31st, 2007 | 2:06 pm

Whether he retires or not, I certainly respect Pettitte’s integrity.

4. MJ
      October 31st, 2007 | 2:25 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Agreed. It’s why the team needs to accept 2008 as not their year and be realistic and focused on making sure the other arms in the system continue to develop. The Red Sox finished in 3rd place in 2006 and won the World Series in 2007. The Yanks shouldn’t be afraid of such a fate.

Mind you, I’m not waving any white flags. All I want is for the Steinbrenners and Cashman to see things realistically and not go crazy trying to patch things together like they might be tempted to.

5. Pete
      October 31st, 2007 | 2:28 pm

I think a potential trade attempt for Santana will determine if we’re ‘taking a year off’ or not…

6. MJ
      October 31st, 2007 | 2:32 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Pete
      October 31st, 2007 | 3:22 pm

>> Why trade players for him now when he can be a free agent at this time next year? Seems like you’d pay twice for the same player. Not worth it. >>

If you think the Twins are just letting him walk without getting something in return, you’re nuts.

8. baileywalk
      October 31st, 2007 | 3:27 pm

There seems to be a lot of panic in Yankee fans right now. Are we to the point where we nervously parse Andy Pettitte statements made on a golf course?

Pettitte isn’t stupid. Why would he leave 16 million dollars on the table? Even for a multimillionaire, that’s a lot of money. Plus he was effective this year and he said he felt fine physically. I think Pettitte proved a lot of people wrong this year — they said he couldn’t get it done in the AL anymore and he came back better than ever.

I think the rotation will be vastly improved this year. Wang and Pettitte as the top two, with Hughes and Joba after that, and either Kennedy or Moose as the fifth starter. No more Pavano or Igawa taking up starts. No more 45-year-old Clemens in the mix, worrying about him pulling a hamstring bending to pick up a ball.

The rotation will be full of youth, and in the form of Hughes, Joba and Kennedy, bring some actual strikeout ability back to a defensively average team.

Maybe I’m nuts, but I feel good going into ’08.

As for Santana: you trade for him now because every team in baseball is going to try to trade for him now; whichever team that gets him will sign him to a massive extension, which means this is probably the only time you’ll get your chance. No team is going to give up a stud player — say the Mets giving up Reyes — and not extend him.

I think Santana can be had for, say, Hughes/Joba, plus Melky and maybe another arm (Horne?) or bat (Austin Jackson?), but I would never, NEVER kill the system for anyone, even if it’s an ace like Santana. Giving up Hughes or Joba is the worst thing this team could do, and busting up the farm system now that it’s accomplished again would be a bad move.

9. rbj
      October 31st, 2007 | 3:50 pm

Gee, actually using your ten days to think it over? How novel. I hope he comes back.

Yankees shouldn’t overpay the Twins for Santana. ’08 being his walk year the Twins don’t have as much leverage, plus the Yankees would have to sign him to a long enough deal to make it worth while.

10. MJ
      October 31st, 2007 | 4:36 pm

Pete, I didn’t say “the Twins are just letting him walk without getting something in return”, you did. I simply said “why trade players for him now when he can be a free agent at this time next year? Seems like you’d pay twice for the same player. Not worth it.”

Beyond that, however, is the silly notion that Santana will somehow be a savior for this team. Shouldn’t Yankee fans realize by now that there’s no such thing as a “MUST HAVE” player? Santana would be a nice addition at the right price. But if he’s going to command $20-25M in free agency, I just don’t see why that’s a good move for the team. Keep that money, lock up Wang and the other arms for below-market, and invest the rest in either opportunistic free agent moves like Dice-K or draft/development.

Why would a 30 year old Santana with 1000 IP in five years as a full time starter making at least $100M over 4+ years not scare people?! How many of these big-money free agent pitchers actually work out? Was Moose the last one?

11. Pete
      October 31st, 2007 | 5:01 pm

>> If the Twins trade him to someone else, fine. The Yanks can always sign him away from the team that receives him in a trade. >>

That’s assuming the team that trades for him doesn’t then turn around and extend his contract – which I expect they would after going through all the trouble to trade him.

Listen, I never said the Yankees *had* to have Santana, I’m only giving my opinion on the possible mentality of the front office. If they make a move to get Johann, IMO it’s a clear signal that we’re not standing down in ’08.

12. Pete
      October 31st, 2007 | 5:04 pm

should be:

“which I expect they would after going through all the trouble to trade FOR him.”

13. butchie22
      October 31st, 2007 | 9:16 pm

The last time “they” had a must have pitcher it was Randy Johnson!Is it me or does is Santana’s dominance starting to wan a little bit .What Yankees fans learned this year(when there was talk about whether or not a fire sale would happen by the trading deadline) was that you need a winning team to actually have people come to the Stadium.The Twins want to try to win something AND have fannies in the seats as well.It’s funny how close the Yankees became just one of the other 29 teams during that period and not the ” Yankees”.
      Yankees fans should be worried about Wang,Joba,Hughes,Kennedy and Moose.Division rivals Blue Jays have:Doc,Burnett,McGowan,Marcum,Litsch and Chacin not to mention their young flamethrowers in the pen(and arguably the 2nd best closer in the AL,Ryan,might come back) ,the Red Sox have:Beckett,Buchholz,DaisK,Lester and maybe Papelbon.Which starting rotation and bullpen would you rather have?That’s why 2008 is a rebuilding season,no how much magic Girardi can create ,can the Arodless Yankees beat these other teams?That is the question.

14. October 31st, 2007 | 11:09 pm

“and invest the rest in either opportunistic free agent moves like Dice-K or draft/development.”

DiceK? He’s a league avg pitcher who cost $103 million for 6 years. how is that such a great move?

yes, sign Santana to $20+ mil. he’s been the best pitcher in baseball the last 5 years. way different than Moose, who was never the best in the game. he’s also a LHP, it’d be nice to have one after Pettitte retires.

15. MJ
      November 1st, 2007 | 9:59 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      First of all, Dice-K’s annual salary doesn’t include his posting fee. At an average of $8.6M a year for 6 years, the guy is a bargain. Second, at 26 years old, there’s no reason for me to believe that he can’t improve next year when he is more familiar with how pitching is approached in the big leagues. Third, and most important, I said “opportunistic free agent moves like Dice-K.” That means using the money to find helpful players in Latin America/Asia that will cost a lot less than Johan Santana.

It blows my mind that people are so ready to drop $20M+ on Johan. To each his own, I guess.

16. November 1st, 2007 | 4:31 pm

again with the posting fee nonsense? look, the Sawx spent $103 mil for 6 years of DiceK. the only benefit of the posting fee is not having to pay luxury tax, but it’s still $ spent on a player.

the Yanks HAVE made ‘opportunistic free agent moves in Latin America/Asia like DiceK.’ 1. DiceK wasn’t even a true FA, 2. the Yanks resume includes: Contreras, El Duque, Matsui, Wang, Montero, Miranda, Soriano, Igawa, etc. Some have worked out, some haven’t, but they are doing it.