• Yanks Admit To Talking With Twinkies On Johan

Posted by on November 26th, 2007 · Comments (7)

From Kat O’Brien:

Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner publicly acknowledged Monday that the Yankees are involved in trade discussions with the Twins for ace Johan Santana.

Those talks began before Thanksgiving, as Newsday reported Saturday. Steinbrenner said in a phone interview Monday that there was “nothing new on Santana” but that general manager Brian Cashman is engaged in discussions with the Twins regarding the lefthander.

That’s not the only thing on the Yankees’ plate. They have talked internally about trying to trade for the Athletics’ Dan Haren and are working to upgrade their bullpen via free agency. “We need to shore up the bullpen, I would say for sure,” Steinbrenner said.

I’m calling it now. It will be Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera, Alan Horne, Jeff Karstens, Alberto Gonzalez, Kevin Whelan, Mitch Hilligoss and Kyle Anson for Johan Santana. It will be baseball’s verison of the Herschel Walker trade.

Comments on Yanks Admit To Talking With Twinkies On Johan

1. Chuck May
      November 27th, 2007 | 12:10 am

No way. They’ll want Mecutchen instead of Whelan & Tabata instead of Anson.

2. Yu Hsing Chen
      November 27th, 2007 | 4:03 am

Throwing in Tabata and we’re probably at least in the realm of possibility.

still though, i’m juts not sure WTF the Twins are thinking, no matte who they end up getting for him, their attendence is going to tank close to Marlin level suckage if they lose Hunter and Santana in the same year.

3. Rich
      November 27th, 2007 | 7:44 am

Compared to what Marchman (in the NY Sun) says they
      should offer, that would be a steal.

Personally, I would prefer to watch the Yankees’ prospects continue to develop, and then play for the Yankees.

4. JeremyM
      November 27th, 2007 | 8:42 am

I don’t see the advantage to admitting to talks right now, unless they know they’re getting a deal done.

As good as Santana is, for some reason this deal scares me. Maybe because I seem to only see the games where he gets shelled. Maybe because I think the only way they get him is by giving up a Hughes or a Cano. I don’t know.

5. Inconnu
      November 27th, 2007 | 9:39 am

Did anyone else catch Buster on Kay’s radio show yesterday?

Buster said Santana wants $150 million for 6 years as a starting point. Insane. Keep the kids.

6. November 27th, 2007 | 9:44 am

I will stop rooting for the Yankees if they trade Hughes for a pitcher they can sign for just money in a year.

7. MJ
      November 27th, 2007 | 9:53 am

Buster said Santana wants $150 million for 6 years as a starting point.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Although I always take those types of demands with a grain of salt (Boras said $350M for 10 years for A-Rod), it is definitely not something you want to trade prospects for. I’d rather take the chance that some other team trades for him and can’t sign him rather than compound the mistake of signing him by giving away the farm.

Basically if the Yanks really want him for that kind of stupid money, then fine. But they shouldn’t have to shoot themselves in the foot to do it.