• Heyman: Melky, Hughes Or Kennedy, & 2 Prospects For Santana

Posted by on November 28th, 2007 · Comments (7)

From Jon Heyman -

The Twins have asked the Yankees for one of three top pitching prospects — Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy — plus center fielder Melky Cabrera and one or two younger prospects. While the Yankees say they won’t surrender Chamberlain, who became a fan favorite during his late-season callup, they must know they’d have to give up either Hughes or Kennedy to have a chance at Santana. The Yankees are also believed willing to deal Cabrera for Santana even if it leaves a temporary hole in center field.

One would have to assume that the Twins prefer Hughes. So, in the end, if it’s Kennedy who goes, that tells you that the Yankees feel Hughes is too good to let go. But, if it’s Hughes to go, that suggests that the Yankees are not as high on Hughes now (as they once were) or that the Yankees feel that “Kennedy and Santana” is an upgrade on “Hughes and Kennedy.” Most likely, it’s the latter.

Comments on Heyman: Melky, Hughes Or Kennedy, & 2 Prospects For Santana

1. Pete
      November 28th, 2007 | 10:18 pm

What sort of prospects?

That trade wouldn’t kill our team as much as some of the other theoretical deals I’ve seen, but it would pain me to lose Melky.

However I’m sure that if Cabrera was included, Steve Philips would think we were hornswoggling the Twins…

2. j
      November 28th, 2007 | 10:35 pm

Fingers crossed that it’s not Hughes, and for no other reason that I think I just like him more than I like Kennedy. Kennedy could very well have a better career than Hughes.

Santana
      Wang
      Hughes
      Chamberlain
      Pettite

If this is possible without surrendering Jackson or Tabata, our only high ceiling position player prospects, you do it, I think. Unless it’s for like 9 players or something like that.

3. Rich
      November 28th, 2007 | 11:01 pm

The more I think about it, the less I want Santana. The precipitous decline in his stats following his 17 K performance that Steve posted is extremely worrisome.

4. November 28th, 2007 | 11:14 pm

i’m coming around to that too. No Hughes. Reluctant to give up Kennedy and Melky – the idea of Damon in CF is scary. Gardner and Ajax arent close enough just yet.

5. Corey
      November 28th, 2007 | 11:15 pm

Santana
      Wang
      Hughes
      Chamberlain
      Pettite

——-
      WoW. I’d pull the trigger. pettite would have to really hate playing baseball to not want to come back to a potential rotation fo that

6. baileywalk
      November 28th, 2007 | 11:17 pm

If Hughes is dealt, it has more to do with his talent and Santana’s talent than it does about the lack of faith the Yankees have in him. Santana is the best pitcher in baseball — so obviously the Twins want something in return. If it’s not Kennedy, then the Twins didn’t want Kennedy. If it’s Hughes, then it’s because the Twins demanded him. It’s not like they’re trading Hughes for Kevin Millwood here or something. It is for a young two-time Cy Young winner.

I would be shocked — knocked-flat stunned — if Melky and another prospect got the job done. Kennedy is good, but to get Johan for him would be incredible. It’s hard to believe what Heyman writes — that the Twins simply want one of the big three. Kennedy isn’t considered on their level by anyone. It would be pretty amazing if the Twins had that line of thought.

I also hope the Yankees aren’t casual about letting Hughes go. He has great potential. Though many might not feel the same way, losing Hughes would be on the same level as losing Joba (in my personal opinion).

If ever there was a perfect example of why it’s important to have a strong farm system, this is it. When the rare superstar becomes available, you have the pieces to get him. Young players are actually a STRENGTH now for the Yanks; just four years ago it was a gaping hole in the organization.

7. baileywalk
      November 28th, 2007 | 11:36 pm

Rays just traded Young (plus others) for Garza (plus others). I think the Twins win on this trade because Garza is pretty good, but not great, and Young has the potential to be a superstar. The article I read implies that Young would play center, so I’m not sure how that complicates the Yankees’ trade for Santana. I personally think Young would be better off staying in right. I guess we’ll see…