• Johan Santana For Center Square, Peter

Posted by on November 29th, 2007 · Comments (8)

From Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe -

The Twins are still trying to sort out who is willing to offer what. The Yankees are still very much in the hunt, with their talks centering around Melky Cabrera and Robinson Cano.

O.K., yes, this is the Boston Globe. But, Cafardo usually seems like someone who is interested in getting the story correct.

…centering around Melky Cabrera and Robinson Cano

“And,”….not “Or?”

Would the Yankees deal BFF Melky and Cano?

Would that be in place of Hughes – or, in addition to Hughes?

Or, is this now the Yankees floating things out there to get the Red Sox to up their offer? Or, are the Twins making this stuff up to play the market?

Man, this Boston/New York thermo nuclear war game over for Johan Santana is starting to make the Yankees-Bosox’ December 2002 run after Jose Contreras look like a couple of toddlers playing noughts and crosses.

It’s going to make for an interesting chapter in the book of the rivalry between Red Sox Nation and the Bronx Bombers when this is all said and done.

Comments on Johan Santana For Center Square, Peter

1. November 29th, 2007 | 11:48 pm

no way does Cano get traded. he might even be more untouchable than Joba.

2. Rich M
      November 30th, 2007 | 8:20 am

I have a tendency to believe Jack Curry at the Times where he says the Yanks are holding at Kennedy, Melky, and maybe Tabata.
      I just dont think the package the Sox are offering is good enough. All this postering by them is to get the Yanks to give up Hughes.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      November 30th, 2007 | 9:12 am

Just saw at River Ave that the Yanks might be close to a deal with Mark Loretta. Could this mean Cano’s on the way out? Uggh!

4. #15
      November 30th, 2007 | 9:39 am

Nick,
      Nahh. Not because of Loretta at least. Simply a very solid “Ute” that can go all over the infield and not kill you at the plate. If Loretta gets inked, and if I were Betemite, I’d start packing.

5. Mrs. Peterson-Kekich
      November 30th, 2007 | 10:06 am

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I dearly hope we lose the sweepstakes. Two reasons: (1) I’m not convinced this is the way to build a championship team — this smacks of the 2002-present era as opposed to the ’96-’01 approach of building from within and using trades and free agents to fill in gaps. (2) More controversial — EVEN IF THIS WOULD HELP US WIN, I WOULDN’T BE HAPPY. There’s something a little empty about cheering for a team of hired guns. I’ve loved seeing Cano and Melky make it; I’ve been excited about Hughes, Joba and Kennedy; I’m already looking forward to Horne and Jackson. If these guys can join Jeter, Jorge and Mo and win it, it will be that much more sweet. And I’ll feel good about rooting them on even if we fall short in the end.

I hope Johan stays with the Twins or goes to the Dodgers.

6. butchie22
      November 30th, 2007 | 11:47 am

Let Boston’s bluff be called.Who thinks that they(the cheapest big team on the planet) will pay him 25 million a year when he gets a 6 plus ERA in Fenway and hasn’t been lights out in the playoffs?If they really wanted Santana, Ellsbury AND Buchholz would be in a package.Santana is a better fit for the Bombers and this is more of a Trojan Horse offer for the Yanks to bolster their offer.If I were Cashman,I would talk to the As for Haren AND the Os for Bedard,as simple as that.I hate interdivisional trades, but MacPhail is trying to rebuild so maybe this can happen.Let Theo and Lucchino try to play spoiler on those two and you’re seeing them become the New Yankees,trying to block players from other teams so that they don’t get better.The difference is ,is that they still don’t have the revenue streams or flexibility that the Yankees have.That is why the Yankees should open discussions on several fronts to diffuse the situation.Ok,Boston you want Santana….put up or shut up!

7. Razor
      November 30th, 2007 | 1:36 pm

One question i haven’t heard come up in the santana/Haren discussions is what SPs will become free agents next year (ie, after ’08). I know the FAs this winter are not…number 1 guys…but is there anyone else out that that we can get maybe next year?
      If not, I just might be more willing to give up a hughes for santana, as we really do need an “Ace” for 2-3 years at least while these guys mature. And wang is really good but no ace, and pettite and mussina are not #1 guys either.

8. November 30th, 2007 | 1:48 pm

great question, and its a big reason the Yanks should be cautious with Santana. He, Peavy and Sabathia are entering into contract years.