• Erik Bedard

Posted by on November 30th, 2007 · Comments (7)

From the Baltimore Sun -

Contract extension talks between the Orioles and Erik Bedard stalled yesterday, increasing the likelihood that team officials will spend part of next week’s winter meetings contemplating trade offers for the ace left-hander.

The Orioles already have gotten several trade offers for Bedard, who went 13-5 with a 3.16 ERA last season and set a franchise record with 221 strikeouts. They figure to get more next week in Nashville, Tenn., though MacPhail said that the cooling of talks shouldn’t be taken as a sign that the Orioles are ready to unload Bedard.

The New York Yankees, New York Mets, Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Angels and Los Angeles Dodgers all have inquired about Bedard, who would be one of the most coveted pitchers available in a market that also includes two-time American League Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana.

Via the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia:

AMERICAN LEAGUE 2006-2007 & GAMES STARTED >= 60

RSAA                           RSAA      GS       IP
    1    C.C. Sabathia                67       62    433.2
    2    Johan Santana                65       67    452.2
    3    John Lackey                  61       66    441.2
    4    Roy Halladay                 54       63    445.1
    5    Erik Bedard                  49       61    378.1
    6    Kelvim Escobar               43       60    385
    7    Justin Verlander             40       62    387.2
    8    Chien-Ming Wang              38       63    417.1
    9    Danny Haren                  33       68    445.2
    10   Josh Beckett                 28       63    405.1

Bedard can pitch. Sounds as if it would cost the Yankees a package like Ian Kennedy, Alan Horne and Melky Cabrera. I’m not sure that I would do that – plus you hate having to trade within your division where you face the team 19 times a year (giving your ex’s plenty of chances to haunt you).

But, at the least, the Yankees are right to kick the tires on this one and keep their seat warm at the table…just in case.

Comments on Erik Bedard

1. Andrew
      November 30th, 2007 | 10:50 am

Kennedy, Melky and Horne? I do that yesterday.

2. November 30th, 2007 | 11:01 am

Andrew, my only concern is his health – he’s already had a Tommy John, a strained MCL, and an oblique injury. He might be somewhat injury-prone.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      November 30th, 2007 | 11:29 am

he’s also older than I expected. I guess he had his break-out year a bit late in his career. His career path might be a bit like Chris Carpenter.

4. mehmattski
      November 30th, 2007 | 11:44 am

I think you should have censored the second name on the list, for consistency’s sake…

Anyway, like Nick, he’s older than I had imagined. However, according to Baseball Analysts, he’s the most efficient strikeout pitcher in the league, and something the Yankees struggled with last year was striking people out.

Would I give up six cost-controlled years of Ian Kennedy for one or two of Erik Bedard? I’m not sure, and including Melky may be a bit too steep. Kennedy, Gardner and Horne would be better for me, or Horne and Jackson.

5. November 30th, 2007 | 11:49 am

But Steve, we don’t need Bedard, we have Chase Wright!

…hehe…

6. November 30th, 2007 | 11:56 am

~~~But Steve, we don’t need Bedard, we have Chase Wright!~~~

LOL Mike.
      I still stand by what I said there, if anyone wants to read it:

7. baileywalk
      November 30th, 2007 | 2:00 pm

If I was the Yanks, I would try for Haren and use Bedard as a backup plan. Unless they can fleece the O’s, trading a lot for Bedard is a risk. Yeah, he’s good, but like Steve noted, he’s injury-prone and hasn’t been a consistent innings guy (he has never thrown 200 innings). This was his first truly great year and he’ll want a ton of money. Haren is a much better bet.