• Anyone Heard From The Captain Lately?

Posted by on December 16th, 2007 · Comments (10)

Back on November 9th, speaking at Joe Torre’s annual Safe At Home Foundation gala, Derek Jeter said, about Alex Rodriguez:

“There’s not many people in the game that do the things that he does. We’re trying to win, but it takes more than one person. We’ve had teams that have won and we haven’t had numbers like that put up, so you don’t necessarily have to have those type of numbers in order to win.”

After that, I heard Jeter on WFAN – as he was named WFAN’s Top New York Sports Celebrity. And, then, Derek said he was going to leave the country for a bit. But, he’s back now, and, to date, I don’t think Jeter has said a word about Alex Rodriguez’ return to the Yankees and A-Rod’s new contract.

It’s been a month since A-Rod’s return went down. Doesn’t it seem odd – even with him being out of the country – that Jeter’s had no comment on this? Or, has he said something and I missed it? Maybe it’s just Jeter boycotting the media since they showed up at his mother’s house? That was about the same time as when Alex’s news broke. Or, could it be that Derek is being quiet because he has some issue with the money being given Alex and the potential of Rodriguez becoming the new face of the franchise?

Comments on Anyone Heard From The Captain Lately?

1. MJ
      December 16th, 2007 | 11:44 pm

Jeter’s a professional. I’m sure he’s privtaely pissed off but he’ll be the consummate politician and will be his usual stoic self come spring training.

And, quite frankly, if Derek Jeter doesn’t like it, he can retire. I’m over Jeter. His sh*t stinks, just like everyone else’s.

2. Rich
      December 17th, 2007 | 12:12 am

Petty jealousies aside, A-Rod’s contract with Texas made Jeter at least another $50 million (he was ready to sign a $118 million contract, but George wouldn’t sign off on it until Juan Gone signed Detroit’s $140 million contract offer, which he never did), and by waiting, A-Rod’s contract became the new standard to negotiate off of. A-Rod’s new contract will also make Jeter a bunch of money. So Jeter has very little to complain about.

It seemed to me that Jeter dropped the nonsensical grudge and warmed up to A-Rod over the course of last season.

In any event, A-Rod’s presence makes the Yankees a better team. Since Jeter has repeatedly stated that winning is all that he cares about, he should be elated that A-Rod is returning.

3. Razor
      December 17th, 2007 | 12:44 am

I can’t tell whether Jeter dropped the grudge and warmed up last season, it seemed like maybe he did but i couldn’t quite tell.

If not, or maybe even if so, Hank and Joe G should sit him down and tell him he needs to help the team chemistry, a-rod specifically, and demonstrate the characteristics that earned him the “C”.

4. ieddyi
      December 17th, 2007 | 8:19 am

Sheesh, more yellow journalism- trying to create animosity out of sheer projection

The blog is much better when you stick to interesting fact based baseball

I’m outta here again

5. ChrisXS
      December 17th, 2007 | 8:36 am

Boo hoo ieddyi. Start your own blog then. If I had a nickel for each time I’ve seen an “I’m leaving” post… Come back when the season starts. I enjoy this type of discussion.

6. Inconnu
      December 17th, 2007 | 9:27 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it is the OFF SEASON. Jeter isn’t required to talk to you right now.

December 17th, 2007 | 10:33 am

I don’t know, I haven’t seen or heard (m)any interviews… Maybe he’s keeping a low profile?

Or maybe no one asked him?

Not that it makes much of a difference; it’s not like he’s going to report late, or demand a trade, or anything like that.

December 17th, 2007 | 10:35 am

=============
      Chemistry (well, not THAT kind of chemistry) hasn’t been the problem with the team.

9. SteveB
      December 17th, 2007 | 11:32 am

Or could it be that Jeter is a baseball player and not a media whore?

10. SteveB
      December 17th, 2007 | 11:41 am

Seriously, the guy has been on the team for what like 11 or 12 years. Do we not have him figured out yet? Jeter wants to play baseball, party with famous people, date hot chicks, and be left the hell alone.

He isn’t mouthy, he doesn’t want to be quotable, he doesn’t care if we think he’s interesting. He doesn’t do movies, he doesn’t release rap records, he doesn’t go on every talk show every other week. When he says ANYTHING to the media, it’s meaningless strings of cliches.

He doesn’t want you to know what he really thinks. Jeter is a private guy who lives a ridiculously high profile lifestyle. Given the fact that he runs in pretty visible circles, in the most media frenzied market in the world, and that we’ve never heard one bad thing about him other than some potentially sketchy tax shelter situation, I’d say that Jeter is a master of doing things on his own terms.

He keeps his mouth shut better than the Mafia.

The unfortunate side of it, is that because he doesn’t give away anything about what he really thinks or feels, dopey writers make stuff up in their imaginations, and dopier readers on the internet spend hours debating a whole bunch of conjecture.

But, I’m really sure he doesn’t care.