• Yanks Raise Ticket Prices, Again

Posted by on December 18th, 2007 · Comments (20)

I got my season tickets in 2001 – Loge Box MVP seats, right by 1B.

In 2001, they were $37 per seat.
    That price stayed the same in 2002.

In 2003, it was raised to $40.
    In 2004, it was raised to $45.
    In 2005, it was raised to $50.
    In 2006, it was raised to $55.
    And, last year, 2007, it was raised to $63 per seat.

Now, I just got the bill for 2008 – and the price for next season is $75 per seat.

Is it just me, or, is an increase of 102.7% over a seven year period just seem like a bit much?

You know, before the Cardinals opened their new park in 2006, ticket prices in the ten prior new homes for baseball teams, since 2000, saw a 50 percent average increase.

So, what, now my tickets will be $113 per seat in 2009? Man, that’s just crazy.

Comments on Yanks Raise Ticket Prices, Again

December 18th, 2007 | 10:44 am

Wow, that’s crazy. And I have a feeling it’s only going to get worse when they move across the street.

Will you be getting the same seats in the new park?

2. December 18th, 2007 | 10:55 am

~~Will you be getting the same seats in the new park?~~

No word yet – I’m hoping they somehow grandfather the location – - that’s why I’ve hung in there with the price increases all these years…because I know getting this location in the new place will be impossible if you try and get it in 2009 (without the benefit of already being a season ticket holder).

3. MJ
      December 18th, 2007 | 11:10 am

There’s no doubt in my mind that ticket prices will jump dramatically once they move across the street. As one of the few teams to actually build the ballpark on its own dime, you can bet on asking the fans to pay down the debt through a sharp ticket increase.

Hopefully, in exchange for ridiculous prices, you get your seats grandfathered into the new ballpark.

4. ChrisXS
      December 18th, 2007 | 11:26 am

Bastards. They raised my bleacher plan from $10 to $12. How many games do you have Steve? I have the Friday night package.

5. December 18th, 2007 | 11:35 am

~~How many games do you have Steve? ~~

I get the full 81-game package, and I split it 9 ways with 8 other people – so, we get 9 games each.

6. jk
      December 18th, 2007 | 11:45 am

My upper deck seats have been reclassified as “MVP” seats. A mere 47% increase ($17 to $25). I guess we get Grey Poupon with the hotdogs now.

7. MJ
      December 18th, 2007 | 12:05 pm

I guess we get Grey Poupon with the hotdogs now.
      ==========================================
      Quote of the day. That’s hysterical!

8. baileywalk
      December 18th, 2007 | 12:17 pm

I try to make it to at least half a dozen games a year. I get the same tickets every time (through a contact who works for the Yankees). With parking, the tickets and some food and drinks, I usually end up spending about $300.

On the one day, it’s absurd to spend that much to see a ballgame. On the other hand, with the Yankees’ budget and the fans’ idea that they should spend whatever they have to spend, I just sort of shrug my shoulders and accept it. Everything is more expensive in New York anyway. You kind of get used to it.

I’m just continually amazed that the people I see around me are able to afford the tickets. I always used to dismiss this idea that “normal people” and “normal families” would not be able to go to the Stadium anymore because of the cost, but maybe one day that will actually be true. And that is, of course, pretty sad.

9. MJ
      December 18th, 2007 | 12:25 pm

==========================================
      Good golly. I take it public transportation isn’t an option near where you live?

Your seats must be pretty good though.

10. December 18th, 2007 | 12:31 pm

~~Quote of the day. That’s hysterical!~~

Ditto!

11. mehmattski
      December 18th, 2007 | 12:53 pm

Somehow, this is Brian Cashman’s fault, right? ;)

12. baileywalk
      December 18th, 2007 | 12:58 pm

Somehow, this is Brian Cashman’s fault, right? ;)

13. ChrisXS
      December 18th, 2007 | 1:00 pm

A friend of mine also does the 81 game split between 9 people in the lower section close to the field about even with Bobby Abreu.

I’m content in Section 39.

14. baileywalk
      December 18th, 2007 | 1:03 pm

Your seats must be pretty good though.
      —-

No, I could jump on a train if I wanted to. But since I’m spending so much money anyway, dropping twenty bucks to park my car seems like no big deal. A lot of people hate to drive there because of traffic issues, but aside from the rare occasion, I get out pretty quickly and make good time getting home.

My seats are pretty decent. They’re always Main Box MVP. I usually go with my girlfriend and another male friend, and the killer cost always seems to be supplying the male friend with many six-dollar beers and those dry-looking chicken fingers. It’s a good thing I don’t drink their overpriced beer or eat that food, or the cost might get even more absurd.

15. MJ
      December 18th, 2007 | 1:13 pm

======================================
      No joke. I have my own game ritual where I get a sausage and a beer (cost $16) and I find that outrageous enough that I opt to eat or drink nothing further unless I’m dying of thirst on a particularly hot day.

December 18th, 2007 | 4:46 pm

Yep, that’s why I usually load up before the game… Are we allowed to bring outside food in? Been so long since I tried it, I never bothered to check.

17. mph2373
      December 18th, 2007 | 4:56 pm

Raf, you are allowed to bring in outside food. Drinks I think they will give you a problem with. I’ve had the Sunday package with my girlfriend for 4 years running now. I’m just hoping that we get a shot at similar seats at the new stadium.

18. redbug
      December 18th, 2007 | 10:50 pm

Yes, you can bring drinks in with you. A couple of times I was asked to take a sip from the bottle before they let me in.

19. December 19th, 2007 | 10:38 am

yes you can bring drinks, but i dont think they allow glass bottles or aluminum cans, just plastic bottles. (and no alcohol either, i think.)

as far as food, pretty much anything goes. they’ll make you put everything into clear plastic bags though (which they provide).

it truly is great that they allow that now (which only started a few years ago).

20. kallardnyc
      December 19th, 2007 | 3:02 pm

Steve, you got your invoice already? Has anybody else? I usually have mine by now, but so far nothing. Maybe because I asked for a change of location. I had 3rd base and I wanted to see if there was room in right field.

Thanks,