• Clemens To Appear On 60 Minutes

Posted by on December 23rd, 2007 · Comments (6)

From the AP -

“Let me be clear, the answer is no. I did not use steroids, or human growth hormone and I’ve never done so,” Clemens said. “I did not provide Brian McNamee with any drugs to inject in to my body. Brian McNamee did not inject steroids or Human Growth Hormones into my body either when I played in Toronto for the Blue Jays or the New York Yankees. This report is simply not true.”

“After Christmas, I’m going to sit down with Mike Wallace of ’60 Minutes,’ and I’ll do an interview, and he’ll ask me a ton of questions on this subject, and I’ll answer them right there in front of him, and we’ll do all of this again,” Clemens said. “I’m angry about it. To be honest with you, it’s hurtful to me and my family, but we’re coming upon Christmas now, and I have been blessed in my life. I’ve been blessed in my career, and I’m very thankful for those blessings.”

To quote Professor DeWitt as he watched Andy Schroeder and Diane Chambers go at it: I love it! A Desdemona that fights back!

Comments on Clemens To Appear On 60 Minutes

1. ChrisXS
      December 23rd, 2007 | 10:31 pm

A 2 minute video of Roger defending himself on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0GHx980CU

2. NJ_Rob
      December 24th, 2007 | 4:47 pm

At this point, I really don’t care. I don’t see him coming back for another year at this point.

3. Rich
      December 24th, 2007 | 6:49 pm

If Mike Wallace’s son Chris is to believed, one has to wonder whether or not Clemens is purposely avoiding a more probing interview:

“He’s lost it, the man has lost it. What can I say?” when asked about comments that the elder Wallace made last week in an interview with the Boston Globe, in which he questioned George W. Bush’s qualifications to be president. Chris Wallace said that “things have set in” with his father and that the family plans to have a “competency hearing” for him soon.”

4. JeremyM
      December 24th, 2007 | 7:12 pm

Sounds pretty rationale to me, after what’s taken place over the last seven years or so, it’s only natural to question the man’s qualifications to be president. Seems to be a low blow to have competency hearings over a political disagreement. Anyway, this isn’t the place but I question his son’s competency.

As far as Clemens, I don’t know if he used or not, but it seems like most people have made their mind up. I keep hearing that he’s now protesting too much after before hearing he hasn’t said enough. I’m really kind of surprised at how bad the analysis has been on this deal though, with the biggest annoyance being people saying he got better with age, which is ridiculous and not true.

5. Rich
      December 24th, 2007 | 7:30 pm

I think what makes it a low blow was making his sentiments public (and I say that as someone who believes that Bush is the worst president in US history).

That aside, almost no one has 100% of their fastball, so to speak, at Mike Wallace’s age. Consequently, I think the decision to choose him as an interviewer is part of Clemens’s pattern of dodging the hard truths.

6. WebmistressEMC
      December 24th, 2007 | 9:18 pm

Rich, that Boston Globe interview, and Chris Wallace’s insulting comments about his father are from December 2005.

The interviewer at the time noted that President Bush had refused to be interviewed by the elder Wallace, then asked Mike Wallace what questions he would have asked Bush had he been able to conduct the interview. Wallace answered with,

“What in the world prepared you to be the commander in chief of the largest superpower in the world? In your background, Mr. President, you apparently were incurious. You didn’t want to travel. You knew very little about the military. . . . The governor of Texas doesn’t have the kind of power that some governors have. . . . Why do you think they nominated you? . . . Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that the country is so [expletive] up?”

Maybe Wallace’s personal opinions were evident in that series of comments/questions, but they seemed like pretty good questions, given their brevity. He could have added a lot more.

And I’ve seen a lot worse (bordering on crazed) from various bloggers on the ‘Net, who don’t seem to mind letting the whole world know their peculiar political leanings (not to mention a whole lot of personal stuff).