• Heyman: Yanks Out Of Santana Race

Posted by on January 29th, 2008 · Comments (6)

Click here to read Jon Heyman’s latest.

Tom Robson, Jason Roach, and Eric Valent have all worn #57 for the Mets. Santana would automatically become the best Metsie to ever don those digits. (Then again, he would have been the best to wear them for the Yankees too.)

Comments on Heyman: Yanks Out Of Santana Race

1. baileywalk
      January 29th, 2008 | 3:56 pm

Okay, as first-big-moves-for-a-GM go, this was a doozy for Bill Smith. But…

He was on prom night and faced with becoming a man, and he finished before he got his zipper open.

Smith couldn’t have screwed this up worse if he tried. If you believe Heyman, the Yanks have pulled Hughes from the conversation, the Sox are sticking to their deal(s), and the Mets are offering Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra, which the Twins are going to take.

The Mets deal stinks. The Twins are definitely settling here. Gomez has all the speed in the world, but watching him as much as I did last year, I seriously doubt he’ll hit. Humber was supposedly great once, but he’s one of those guys who DIDN’T come back stronger from TJS — his velocity is gone. Mulvey hasn’t pitched in AAA yet and isn’t even the prospect Alan Horne is. And Guerra is just a kid. So what are they getting here? A centerfielder with speed who can’t hit; two pitchers who might not become major leaguers (I don’t think Humber ever will); and a young pitching prospect who may or may not be something valuable.

THAT’S what they take over a Hughes-Melky deal? I also think the Jon Lester deal from the Red Sox blows this deal away easily. The Ellsbury deal is better too if you can keep Lowrie and Masterson in it.

Hughes was the best player being talked about here, and the Twins should have grabbed him while they had the chance. Even though this represents almost all of the Mets’ farm system, I think they’re getting almost nothing in return (IF they take the Mets’ offer).

2. MJ
      January 29th, 2008 | 4:14 pm

Okay, as first-big-moves-for-a-GM go, this was a doozy for Bill Smith. But…[h]e was on prom night and faced with becoming a man, and he finished before he got his zipper open.
      ===============================================
      I more or less agree with this except that I think the Twins ripped the Rays off in the Garza-Delmon Young trade. Giving up a #3/#4 starter with major control problems for a future .300-30-100 guy with a huge arm in the OF was a great deal for the Twins. Of course, on the flipside, they totally blew the Johan situation.

All I can say is that if this is true, and Johan is really going to the Mets, I couldn’t be happier. The Red Sox don’t get him and the Yanks don’t sell the farm and grossly overpay for him in his free agency.

3. MJ
      January 29th, 2008 | 4:35 pm
    4. #15
      January 29th, 2008 | 5:26 pm

MJ,
      Some inside info from TB says they had discipline problems with Young and were sending a message to all their kids that they need to stay on the reservation or get shipped out. Given all the youth on the Rays, they saw this as an important step in moving the organization forward.

5. Basura
      January 29th, 2008 | 5:57 pm

Some inside info from TB says they had discipline problems with Young
      ———————-

Inside info? Do you mean things other than the very public verbal fight with Madden the last week of the season or his previous public problems with bat throwing?

6. MJ
      January 29th, 2008 | 5:58 pm

#15 – I don’t doubt it. But it’s also why I view the Rays as a crappy franchise. You don’t give up on a once-in-a-lifetime prospect for crapola like Garza, even if Young isn’t a great humanitarian. He’s not Elijah Dukes and I think the whole 2006 bat-tossing incident was grossly overanalyzed.

But, hey, as a Yankee fan I’m thrilled that our lineup gets to smack Garza around a few times a year now.