• Rounding Out The Yankees Pen

Posted by on February 24th, 2008 · Comments (11)

I keep reading that General Joe wants a long reliever and a lefty in two of his three bullpen spots after Mo, Joba, Farnsworth and Hawkins.

Pete Caldera has an interesting feature today on who’s fighting for what spot. After reading it, I think this is how the Yankees bullpen will shape up this spring:

Mariano Rivera
    Joba Chamberlain
    Kyle Farnsworth
    LaTroy Hawkins
    Billy Traber
    Scott Strickland
    Jeff Karstens or Darrell Rasner

And, Bruney, Ohlendorf, Veras, Ramirez and Albaladejo will start the year at Triple-A. It’s just a hunch, but, I think Joe’s going to want to start the year with the experienced guys coming out of the pen.

Comments on Rounding Out The Yankees Pen

1. February 24th, 2008 | 11:00 am

I hope Girardi would take the best pitchers, regardless of age, over guys with experience. Traber, Strickland and Karstens/Rasner has ugly potential. Going with veterans is a Torre move ;)

Sean Henn & Brian Bruney are out of options, so they’ll need to pass through waivers to go to the minors. Bruney might make it through, Henn will definitely get picked because he’s a lefty and kinda throws hard.

I think (hope) the Yanks are pulling for Ohlendorf to have a good ST and grab a spot. Hopefully Chris Britton won’t spend the year wasting away in Triple-A again.

2. Rich
      February 24th, 2008 | 2:01 pm

Girardi talked a little about the makeup of his bullpen, saying he wanted a long reliever and hopefully a lefty. But he said that while he would like a lefty specialist type, he won’t keep a southpaw unless they deserve to make it.

3. baileywalk
      February 24th, 2008 | 2:56 pm

If that’s the bullpen, someone please strangle me. The start of the season will be depressing.

I can’t believe Girardi wants a lefty specialist. I think of Girardi as a forward-thinking, convention-breaking type of guy, and he wants to waste a precious bullpen spot with someone you keep around to get one out a game?

It’ll be a real shame if Karstens and Strickland take spots away from young guys with potential. Considering the options they have in Ohlendrof, Veras, Bruney, Ramirez, Albaladejo, Melancon (and others), it’s a shame they signed a known hack like Hawkins.

I suppose a longman is valuable if you believe your starting pitchers are going to need one (though it’s somewhat painful to take up a roster spot with a guy who’s not good enough to start or pitch effectively and you keep him around to mop up others’ failures).

I hope the love affair with Karstens ends this spring training.

4. singledd
      February 24th, 2008 | 4:13 pm

Traber has a career total of under 200 IPs, and a career ERA+ of 80, with a WHIP of over 1.5. He won’t make the cut.

Scott Strickland has decent numbers but has only pitched 4 innings in the last 4 years. He will have to be VERY good in ST to make the team.

I would say two of Bruney, Ohlendorf, and Albaladejo .

5. snowball003
      February 24th, 2008 | 4:17 pm

After the disasters of last spring, I think it’s probably a good idea to have a long man/spot starter. Just in case.

Have they officially put Joba in the pen? I keep hearing different things. I’m so confused!

6. February 24th, 2008 | 4:37 pm

the lower half of that pen has proven ineptitude written all over it.

at least the young guys have a lot of potential. i’m talking about Edwar, Ohlie, Alby, Veras, Britton and Bruney.

7. Basura
      February 24th, 2008 | 5:10 pm

I think of Girardi as a forward-thinking, convention-breaking type of guy

========================

Why? Has his actions in Florida shown this, is it wishful thinking, or something else?

8. baileywalk
      February 24th, 2008 | 7:51 pm

———–

That’s a good question. It’s not really based on his time with the Marlins (which I didn’t see fully). I guess it’s based mostly on hearing him talk, being impressed with his intelligence, and gauging a logical/common-sense approach to things from him. So maybe it IS wishful thing — or at the least an assumption.

February 24th, 2008 | 9:29 pm

————————-
      Makes sense with the innings caps.

10. Yu Hsing Chen
      February 24th, 2008 | 10:01 pm

My guess is that they start out withsomething along the lines of

Mo/Joba/Farns/Hawkins/Henn/Bruney/Rasner

Mostly out of options concerns . though anyone that gets hammered is probably on a short leash on the DFA list.

11. MoLewisSocks
      February 25th, 2008 | 2:26 pm

I think the Yanks bullpen could actually be a strength this year.