• NYU Commencement At Yankee Stadium

Posted by on February 26th, 2008 · Comments (12)

Via the Washington Square News:

For Red Sox fans, it’s your worst nightmare: Front and center in Yankee Stadium receiving your diploma.

Is this hell?

NYU Red Sox fans say yes – and it’s a reality.

It has been a month since NYU announced its decision to hold this year’s commencement at Yankee Stadium, home of what Red Sox and Mets fans consider the Evil Empire. Usually held in Washington Square Park, the ceremony was moved due to renovations.

“If that happens to me, I will cry,” said CAS junior and lifelong Sox fan Rachel Chapman. “Graduation is such a community thing, and when you put it in a sports stadium, you’re including another community.”

But depending on the baseball game schedule, the 2009 graduation could be moved to Citi Field, the new home of the Mets, set to open in April 2009. If the class of 2009 has their commencement in Yankee Stadium, however, there is a chance it could be in the new Yankee Stadium, also opening in April 2009.

“I would rather graduate somewhere that’s more neutral, because I’ve always kind of thought of graduation as a momentous, happy occasion, and I wouldn’t really want to associate it with the Yankees,” said CAS junior and Mets fan Francesca Basile.

Sox and Mets fans have no problems, whatsoever, flooding Yankee Stadium when the Yankees are playing their favorite team. But, I can see where this could be different.

My college graduation was held at the Felt Forum (at Madison Square Garden) back in the day. At that time, I never thought about the “other” stuff that was held at that location – I was just happy to be done with school and looking forward to working.

Comments on NYU Commencement At Yankee Stadium

1. carla
      February 26th, 2008 | 9:34 am

“Still, as a fellow fanatic of a baseball team, I feel for the Red Sox and Mets fans on this one.”

I don’t, I think they are being big babies. They really need to put their sports fanatacism in perspective. It’s just a big outdoor venue, a convenient place to hold the ceremony.

February 26th, 2008 | 10:13 am

——————
      Exactly.

Not to mention I remember what Washington Sq. Park used to be like, I don’t hear of any complaints of having graduation ceremonies where junkies and muggers and prostitutes used to roam…

As much as we’re going to pay for those stadiums, may as well get as much use out of them as we can.

3. February 26th, 2008 | 10:30 am

Agreed with the last two comments.

If that’s the case, why haven’t we read an article about Catholic Red Sox fans complaining about seeing the Pope at Yankee Stadium?

Personally, if I attended and graduated at a Boston university, I would love to have my graduation at Fenway Park. As big of a Yankee fan as I can, having your graduation in a landmark would be incredible.

Heck, if Fordham had the money, why not have their graduation at Yankee Stadium? Yes, the Rose Hill campus is nice and all, but still, if my family has to drive all the way up to a campus they’ve never been at before, at least let them go to a familiar venue.

Ok, that was completely a pipe dream concept but still!

4. MJ
      February 26th, 2008 | 11:05 am

=============================================
      I know schools that have their graduation right in Madison Square Garden. What? Islanders/Sixers/Bulls fans weren’t offended when that happened?

Such rubbish. Gives you an idea of how nutty some of these folks are that they can’t keep things in better perspective.

5. Ference
      February 26th, 2008 | 11:14 am

This is just another sign of how arrogant and self centered Boston fans are. Why should NYU cater to Boston fans just because they dont like the Yankees. This commencement has nothing to do with a sports team, it just happens to use Yankee stadium as the venue in which commencement occurs. Should NYU move their entire commencement ceremony to a mosque to accomodate Red Sox fans or do think that might offend the probable thousands of Christians who are graduating?

6. baileywalk
      February 26th, 2008 | 1:46 pm

This has to be the biggest non-story ever. They make it seem like the ceremony is going to be taking place during the seventh-inning stretch of a game. Grow up, for the love of God.

7. Rich
      February 26th, 2008 | 1:55 pm

My graduation from NYU was held in Washington Square Park.

8. MJ
      February 26th, 2008 | 2:00 pm

My graduation from NYU was held in Washington Square Park.
      ==========================================
      As was mine. But it could’ve been at Shea, Fenway, Texas Stadium, or Lincoln Financial Field (home of the teams I hate most). Wouldn’t have mattered.

9. snowball003
      February 26th, 2008 | 2:21 pm

Steve, I need to thank you. I just graduated from NYU in January and had NO interest in going to the ceremony, and I had no idea this is where it was being held. I kind of ignore my NYU emails. I TOTALLY want to go now. I can get 6 tickets, anyone wanna come? :)

10. February 26th, 2008 | 7:46 pm

snowball003 – what can I say? We live to give at WasWatching.com! [wink]

Congrats on being a grad. Send me pictures of the events at the Stadium and I’ll post them!

11. Jordan Meisner
      February 26th, 2008 | 7:56 pm

I’m graduating from NYU next year, so I hope that one’s at the new Stadium.

I really don’t see why Red Sox fans are bitching, though. If I went to BC or somewhere in the Boston area and my graduation happened to be at Fenway, I wouldn’t really care. It’s just a venue people, it’s not like you have to be wearing a Yankee cap while accepting your diploma.

Come to think of it, if even BEING in Yankee Stadium is such a traumatic event for these a-holes, why the hell would they even come to NYU? In fact, I’ll generalize this point and say that people who go to NYU should stop complaining about the city, period (the fact that NYU students do this may come as a surprise to most rational people, but trust me, it happens quite a bit). New York City is the most awesome place in the world. What the hell kind of college student wouldn’t want to be in the East Village? It’s mind-boggling.

12. PrettyRicky
      April 30th, 2009 | 5:11 am

@ snowball003:
      Hello Snoball003, do you have any commencement tickets left? I need one ticket. If you dont does any else have a ticket available?? I am coming at the last minute and its to late to get one.