• Sox No Longer Obsessed With Yanks?

Posted by on February 27th, 2008 · Comments (16)

From Bob Klapisch:

Spend a day at Red Sox camp, and you sense their profound tranquility. No Yankee-bashing, no personal attacks against A-Rod and certainly no gloating over the miniature dynasty.

With two championships in the past four years, and practically everyone back from the ’07 World Series roster, the Sox’ domination is likely to continue in 2008. That’s why no one’s obsessing over the Bombers’ spring training story lines, including the beginning of the Joe Girardi era and the un-Yankee-like decision to rely on three rookies in the starting rotation.

Indeed, it’s a long way from 2003, when the Yankees broke the Sox’ hearts with that Game 7 victory in the AL Championship Series. The Sox were at their low point watching Aaron Boone circle the bases after blasting a season-ending home run over the left field wall. The Bombers were going to the World Series and the Sox were going home, beyond despair.

But it helps that the Bombers haven’t won a World Series since 2000. It matters, too, that the Sox have found stability: Manager Terry Francona was rewarded with a three-year contract extension that will pay him $11.5 million through 2011.

“I realize now how important it is, but it’s not healthy just to think about the Yankees,” he said after Tuesday’s workouts. “I know it’s a cliché, but I’m trying to get my guys to understand it’s just as important to focus on the Rays as it is against the Yankees. The goal is to have the same intensity level whoever you’re playing.”

This is what happens, I suppose, when Wile E. Coyote finally catches the Road Runner.

Francona may be able to sell this to his team, but, I think those fans that make up Red Sox Nation may not be buying this as quickly? Or, will they?

How about Yankees fans? What do you say? Do you feel like the “Hammer and the Nail” relationship that the Yankees had with the Red Sox, for so long, is now gone (thanks to 2004 and 2007)?

Comments on Sox No Longer Obsessed With Yanks?

1. antone
      February 27th, 2008 | 10:28 am

Trust me Red Sox fans are still obsessed with the Yankees and are even more annoying than ever.

I live in Rhode Island so I get tortured by people all the time just for wearing a Yankees hat or coat while minding my own business.

I think I have it worse than the native New Yorkers, you guys really can’t feel the true wrath of annoying Red Sox fans until you are surrounded by them on a daily basis.

I know for a fact most Sox fans think their 2 world series championships in the past 4 years means they are the dominant team in the Yankees-Red Sox rivarly, which is ridiculous.

I do think the rivalry has changed forever though at least in our lifetime and I miss the 19-18 chants and the energy that filled the stadium during those chants.

2. February 27th, 2008 | 10:30 am

Yeah, I wish it were true because the so-called rivalry has all but sucked all the enjoyment out of baseball for me, but here in Boston I don’t perceive any change in the attitude of Sox fans toward the Yankees and their fans.

February 27th, 2008 | 10:36 am

—————–
      No, because the Sox have a lot of catching up to do. Having said that, I think the Sox fans got more caught up in the rivalry than Yankees fans, as evidenced by the stories of “Yankees Suck” chants popping up at the most inopportune times

4. A Tampa Yankee in King George's Court
      February 27th, 2008 | 10:38 am

As a Yankee fan, I have never been concerned with the Red Sox aside from the fact that their fans, players and ownership have an obsession with attacking Yankee players, fans and ownership in the media and physically as well (Jason Varitek anyone?). I always thought the rivalry was one sided and it hasnt really changed but the only thing that really bothered me was the fact that had what Varitek did taken place anywhere but on a baseball field, he would have been arrested for assault and battery while A-Rod would have been blameless. It is a sad state of affairs when a team that has an inferiority complex can get rewarded for physically attacking the team to which they are inferior. I want to know your opinion on this Steve because I think this can only be a good thing because hopefully we wont have to worry about any Red Sox players attacking any Yankee players anymore.

5. yankcrank20
      February 27th, 2008 | 11:09 am

“No, because the Sox have a lot of catching up to do.”

Are you guys serious? You look at all-time championships as a standard for who dominates the rivalry? A rivalry, just like bragging rights, is all about who is in the most recent control. The Sox have won two world championships and finally beat us out for the division. They have the bragging rights and I would go as far to say that maybe Yankee fans are more obsessed with the Sox than Sox fans are with the Yanks. Those Sox fans have the arrogance of supremacy that we used to have when we dominated them, and i HATE the red sox so much more than i used to. It’s the yankees that hav catching up to do right now, not the Sox. Just because we win the season series doesn’t mean we are better; especially when they go off and win the woirld series.

6. Flaxseed Oil Salesman
      February 27th, 2008 | 11:36 am

Ya, that’s why Theo was dissing Mussina, because the Sox no longer are obsessed with the Yanks…

7. williamnyy
      February 27th, 2008 | 11:46 am

YankeeCrank…I couldn’t disagree more. You and Klapish make it sounds as if the Red Sox have dominated the Yankees in recent history. Well, that’s not true. The Yankees have won the season series over the past three years (including the new and improved Boston Massacre that sunk the BoSox in 2006) and only finished two games behind Boston last year. Everyone is making the gulf out to be wider than it is, but they can’t seem to explain why the Red Sox should be considered prohibitive favorites when both teams are returning essentially the same teams (not to mention, the Yankees far out played Boston over the final four months of last season when everything fell into place).

I am sure winning another WS (the first for many on the current team) has Boston feeling confident, but if you think their organization, fans and players are still not preoccupied with the Yankees, well, maybe I can sell you the Ted Williams Tunnel.

February 27th, 2008 | 11:55 am

You look at all-time championships as a standard for who dominates the rivalry?
      ————
      No, that’s just one part of it. Off the top of my head, there’s Boone & Dent, the Boston Massacres of 1978 & 2006… The “Jeter dives into stands” game, The Contreras “Evil Empire” schtick. There’s also the matter that 2007 was the first time the Sox finished ahead of the Yanks since 1995.

Not to mention I could make a case that the Yankees “franchise highlights reel” could be a lot longer than one put out by the Red Sox.

So, yeah, the Sox have a bit of catching up to do.

9. Rich
      February 27th, 2008 | 12:53 pm

__

You saved me some typing.

10. snowball003
      February 27th, 2008 | 1:01 pm

———————-
      Just what I was going to say.

11. Rich
      February 27th, 2008 | 1:06 pm

__

Didn’t the teams split the season series 9-9?

How is that domination?

If Torre had taken the team off the field when the swarm descended in Cleveland, the Yankees would likely have won the ALDS and the ALCS.

12. snowball003
      February 27th, 2008 | 1:18 pm

Rich: I think the Yankees actually won the season series.

13. Rich
      February 27th, 2008 | 1:22 pm

Oh. If so, it makes the case even stronger. Thanks.

14. snowball003
      February 27th, 2008 | 1:36 pm

Rich: I just went and counted (I’m a loser) and the Yankees won 10 of the 18 games against the Red Sox in 2007. And those first 3 at Fenway I don’t even count as moral losses because they were when the Yankees were a mess and you had Chase Wright and Jeff Karstens starting. Well, that Mo implosion was a moral loss.

15. Lee Sinins
      February 27th, 2008 | 2:19 pm

I’ve never really been able to hate the Red Sox. I certainly don’t like them. But, no more than any other of our opponents.

The Yankees-Red Sox history is way to unbalanced in our favor for me to have such animosity towards them.

I agree with Bender (a guy who I went to law school with)–”A Yankees fan genuinely hating the Red Sox is like the lions saying they genuinely hated the Christians.” And, Bender wasn’t even much of a baseball fan, if at all, but even he knew the imbalance between the teams.

16. February 27th, 2008 | 3:48 pm

The article fails to note the ‘elephant in the living room.’ George Mitchell, Red Sox Director, has been the greatest single ‘mood elevator’ for his team. From everything I see and hear, a gift that keeps on giving, 24/7, 365, for all eternity.