• April 16th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on April 17th, 2008 · Comments (10)

Man, if you would have told me this past off-season that the Yankees would face the Red Sox in April, and win a wild one, where the heroes for the Yankees in the contest would be Chad Moeller, La Troy Hawkins and Brian Bruney, well, that would have been a good laugh. Baseball is a funny game, huh?

I just hate it when two starting pitchers have to face each other in back-to-back starts, five days apart. It’s no wonder that both starters in this game had issues.

The final score in this one is a lie. Until the bottom of the 8th, this game was way too close for comfort, for me.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of Red Sox Nation today regarding the performance of Clay Buchholz. Will they ignore his stat line and rave about how impressive his stuff was? Will they blame his numbers on the fact that it’s early in the season and claim that he just needs to warm up this year? Will they try and pass this on the umpire and say he was being squeezed all night? Will they somehow try and blame the weather? Will they say things like “Let’s not forget about that night where he had the no-hitter! That’s the true Clay!” Or, will they just say that he stunk?

What would Yankees fans do in this situation, say, if it were Phil Hughes who had a game like Buchholz had in this one? I think we know the answer, no?

Comments on April 16th vs. The Red Sox

1. WRT
      April 17th, 2008 | 8:08 am

Are you serious?

I go back and forth on the arguments between you and others (mainly Bailey) over Phil. While sometimes I think the pro-Phil crowd is too hesitant to criticize the man, and I agree that *some* of the things you point out are cause for concern, snide posts like these do not help your cause. Most importantly – IT’S BEEN THREE STARTS, ONE OF WHICH WAS GREAT.

Honestly, what’s wrong with you? Did Phil hit your dog?

2. Joel
      April 17th, 2008 | 8:24 am

The smug folks of Baseball Prospectus boldly proclaim on the cover of their publication that Buchholz is “Better than Joba.”

We’ll see.

3. MJ
      April 17th, 2008 | 9:08 am

Not touching the Clay/Phil thing with a 10′ pole…

I was at the game last night and had the following observations:

1. Jason Giambi cannot play his position. An athlete should have a vertical jump of more than 2″.

2. I want to know why, in the 5th inning, the Yankees were holding Sean Casey on at 1st base and playing Jeter/Cano at double-play depth with two outs. I love Girardi but I don’t understand how that’s passable managing when I could see what was the matter all the way from the last row in Loge. Casey ended up scoring when Pedroia drove him in with a ball that could’ve been played by Jeter if he’d been in better position (meaning not more than 2/3rds of the way to 2B).

3. Melky’s throwing has been lousy all year. It’s like he knows he’s got a great arm so he wants to show it off all the time. He’s not hitting the cutoff man and he’s unleashing wild, off-target throws with regularity now.

4. Julian Tavarez is a friggin’ jerkoff. He pumped his fist after striking out Bobby Abreu to end the 4th inning. I have no problem with being demonstrative, but don’t be an arrogant bastard when you also threw a wild pitch and allowed an inherited runner to score. Your ERA might not take the hit but you still didn’t do your job.

5. For the first time in a few years, I felt like Yankee fans outnumbered Red Sox fans at the ballpark by a good margin.

6. Ross Ohlendorf didn’t look sharp but man do I love his stuff. Even from the Loge, I could tell he was really firing it in there.

4. Rich
      April 17th, 2008 | 11:41 am

To me, from watching on TV, it looked like Ohlendorf’s fastball had zero movement.

5. JohnnyC
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:06 pm

Considering Ross throws a 2-seamer that sinks and a 4-seamer that rides, that you saw zero movement is pretty damning. If that’s true.

6. baileywalk
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:42 pm

——

No, they’ll probably say, “Meh, he didn’t have it on that night.” Which is normal and rational. What they probably WON’T do is write a long (faulty) post about how pitching prospects have a seventy percent chance of bombing.

Steve, seriously — can’t you let it go? Is this Hughes “fandom” really that big of a pain for you? You’re letting it ruin your blog. I hope you realize this. You can post any statistical analysis you want about him, in my opinion. But when you talk about him you get childish, immature and mean. It gets worse and worse and this has to be the zenith of jaw-dropping pettiness.

But whatever. If you want to keep coming off like a complete dick to your readers — if you didn’t notice, you are belittling them — then go right ahead.

7. antone
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:51 pm

So what’s worse? Steve keeps bringing up Hughes or commenters complaining about Steve bringing up Hughes?

Did you guys ever think Steve keeps writing about Hughes because it gets people to the site and creates more discussion?

Regardless, it’s Steve’s opinion, so live with it.

8. baileywalk
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:55 pm

9. Rich
      April 17th, 2008 | 3:55 pm

___

Someone on another board thinks it’s because he has been overused lately.

10. antone
      April 17th, 2008 | 4:18 pm

Bailey- It’s only getting worse because you guys keep feeding the fire.

Nobody knows if Hughes will be great or not right now, to me that is the main point Steve is trying to make. He is just giving the other side of the story, whether or not he actually believes it.

I would even say that Steve would respond better when people joke with his dislike of Hughes, instead of attack him.

It is only one man’s opinion, it’s not like Steve is the GM of the Yankees and is going to banish Hughes to the minors for life.

This is just a blog for people to discuss their opinions and that is his opinion. Everyone has certain players they don’t like and they have no explanation for it sometimes. I don’t see what the big deal is.