• Manny To Follow Damon On Haircut Trail?

Posted by on April 17th, 2008 · Comments (12)

Is there a chance that the Red Sox do not pick up Manny Ramirez’ contract option for 2009?

Related, what happens if the Yankees do not bring back Bobby Abreu next season? You know that Jason Giambi will be gone after this year. Does the money saved on Giambi and Abreu, coupled with the need for a right-fielder and three-hitter (if Abreu leaves), bring cause for the Yankees to chase a 37-year old Manny Ramirez on the free agent market?

Me? In my lifetime, I’ve seen some great right-handed batters play: Jeff Bagwell, Edgar Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas and Albert Pujols come to mind. And, I’d put Manny Ramirez up there with any of them – if not on the top of the list. But…man…the whole Manny being Manny thing…in Yankeeland? I dunno. I just don’t know…

What about you? How would you feel about “Manny In Pinstripes ’09″?

Comments on Manny To Follow Damon On Haircut Trail?

1. MJ
      April 17th, 2008 | 12:47 pm

What about you? How would you feel about “Manny In Pinstripes ’09″?
      ==============================================
      I would feel terribly about it. I hate that preening, loafing, arrogant son of a bitch. The whole “Manny being Manny” thing is revolting. No one gets more of a free pass for bad behavior in all of baseball.

2. j
      April 17th, 2008 | 12:53 pm

He’s horrible defensively, or at least well below average if you take into account that he plays LF in Fenway, but he sure can hit. If the plan was full time DH, then sure, I could see it. Yankee fans would get over Manny being on the Yankees after he hits 40 HR and drives in 130 runs.

3. bfriley76
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:16 pm

Wow Steve…you and Pete Abe posting on basically the same topic right at the same time. Creepy.

Anyway, while the $20 million option for next year is a lot of money, I can’t really picture a scenario where the Sox don’t pick it up. Manny seems to have bounced back from his “down” year last season, and despite all the baggage he brings along (and his baggage is nothing compared to, say, Bonds’ in my opinion) the guy can flat out rake. They’d be hard pressed to replace his bat in the lineup.

4. antone
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:45 pm

I don’t think the Red Sox would be dumb enough to not pick up his option because that team wouldn’t be squat without Manny in the middle of the lineup.

If they don’t pick up the option, I wouldn’t mind seeing Manny as a DH only on the Yankees.

5. Mike
      April 17th, 2008 | 1:47 pm

For the right money and the right number of years I’d take him. I don’t think Manny would take what what “right” money and years are from the Yanks.

All Manny does is get hits and he kills the Yankees. All in all I don’t think there is anyway it would happen.

6. Don
      April 17th, 2008 | 2:41 pm

7. Tex Antoine
      April 17th, 2008 | 2:52 pm

Just what the Yankees need, another ancient DH. Pass.

8. D. Baseball 23
      April 17th, 2008 | 8:27 pm

I’d take him in a second. He’s automatic. I think he is the best right handed hitter in the game and has been for years. I think we all focus on his ridiculous antics and don’t realize that this guy owns ever pitcher he faces. What hitter would you least like to face in a key situation? My vote unanimously goes to Manny.

9. Retire21
      April 18th, 2008 | 12:42 am

I’m sure idiotic bandwagon fans will be booing the heck of him. I don’t really care – as long as he doesn’t suck, I’m fine with it.

10. Jordan Meisner
      April 18th, 2008 | 4:33 am

Am I the only Yankee fan who kind of likes Manny Ramirez? He’s such a goofball, you can’t stay mad at him for even a second. Plus, he’s from NYC.

Oh yeah, and he can hit.

April 18th, 2008 | 10:04 am

Yeah, I’d take Manny.

*Manny is a great hitter and his antics obviously don’t prevent his team from winning, since he’s won two world series.*

12. bfriley76
      April 18th, 2008 | 10:32 am

“Don’t think you can use that criteria; he’s won twice in 15 seasons. What happened the other 12 years (1994 was the strike year)”

It’s a silly way to judge him, but since you asked in his 11 seasons his team didn’t win the world series, (Not counting 93 [only had 53 ABs] or 94[the strike]) they went to the playoffs 7 times, and never posted a losing record.