• Hanks Talks About Yankees Rotation

Posted by on April 21st, 2008 · Comments (21)

Via the Times:

With the Yankees off to a 10-10 start, and with two of their young starters struggling, the Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner said there was one thing in particular he would like to change: He wants Joba Chamberlain, the Yankees’ hard-throwing setup man, to move into the rotation.

“I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now,” Steinbrenner said Sunday by telephone. “There is no question about it, you don’t have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. You just don’t do that. You have to be an idiot to do that.”

“The mistake was already made last year switching him to the bullpen out of panic or whatever,” Steinbrenner said. “I had no say in it last year and I wouldn’t have allowed it. That was done last year, so now we have to catch up. It has to be done on a schedule so we don’t rush him.”

“I think once Hughes and Kennedy get plenty of starts and get Joba back, and with Wang and Pettitte, we will be fine,” Steinbrenner said, referring to the Yankee starters Chien-Ming Wang and Andy Pettitte.

He also said he thought Mike Mussina, who is 39, “just needs to learn how to pitch like Jamie Moyer,” the Phillies’ 45-year-old starter, suggesting that Mussina shouldn’t try to rely on his diminished fastball to get hitters out.

“The starting rotation is not what I would have chosen at the beginning of the year, but that is not a big news flash to anyone,” Steinbrenner said.

The mistake was already made last year switching him to the bullpen out of panic or whatever…

The starting rotation is not what I would have chosen at the beginning of the year, but that is not a big news flash to anyone…

Brian Cashman must feel great about seeing those quotes.

And, it also sounds like Mike Mussina doesn’t have much rope left with Hank either.

Off-day in Yankeeland? There’s no such thing.

Comments on Hanks Talks About Yankees Rotation

1. TurnTwo
      April 21st, 2008 | 7:39 am

I dont think there is much he said though that most of us wouldnt agree with.

Would i rather have had Johan in the rotation? Yes.

Do I want Joba in the rotation? Yes.

Do I want Moose gone from the rotation? Sure.

2. D. Baseball23
      April 21st, 2008 | 8:53 am

It’s not that I don’t agree with what Hank says, it’s just that his timing is poor. He’s creating more problems with the team. I don’t think he has earned the right to speak out.

3. MJ
      April 21st, 2008 | 9:08 am

I dont think there is much he said though that most of us wouldnt agree with.
      =============================================
      Speak for yourself. Personally, I think it’s incredibly counterproductive for a team owner to speak publicly about such issues. How does it help the Yankees to have Cashman second-guessed in the press? Hank needs to shut the f**k up.

The Yankees have a rare gem in Joba Chamberlain. The best way to protect such a rare gem is to minimize the risk of injury. Therefore just throwing him into the rotation and asking for 200 IP (what Hank would prefer, no doubt) is short-sighted and dangerous.

Why are we taking stock of the team’s rotation troubles 20 games into the season? At this time last year the Yanks were 8-9. Let’s not fly off the handle after six bad starts from Hughes/Kennedy.

Hank, it turns out, is just as bad as his dad. After 20 games, he’s already freaking out about a .500 start. I really hate him. The Steinbrenners are truly unbearable.

4. TurnTwo
      April 21st, 2008 | 9:44 am

ah, yes, sorry; by ‘us’ i meant intelligent yankees fans.

whether most people like it or not, Hank is going to speak out. its what he does and he does it well, and for me, its entertaining, which is what baseball andprofessional sports in general is supposed to be about.

and i cant see one instance so far where his (Hank’s) speaking out has been counterproductive to Cashman’s plans in the season.

5. bfriley76
      April 21st, 2008 | 9:58 am

I guess I’m unintelligent, because I too find it worrisome when the team’s ownership thinks he should start talking about blowing up the season-long plan 20 games in because of a slow start…especially one that puts them ahead of last year’s pace.

The pitching has been spotty, yes, but it’s the hitting that’s really let the Yankees down. If Hank should be bitching to the media about anything it should be about Giambi’s continued presence in the lineup.

April 21st, 2008 | 9:59 am

=============
      While I’m not ready to hit the panic button yet, I think it should be noted that at this time last year, the Yanks were worse than their pythag record would suggest. This time around, they’re better.

7. MJ
      April 21st, 2008 | 10:51 am

ah, yes, sorry; by ‘us’ i meant intelligent yankees fans.
      ===========================================
      No need for personal insults. But you can go fuck yourself anyway.

8. MJ
      April 21st, 2008 | 10:54 am

=======================================
      That’s a very good point, Raf. Nevertheless, I think it’s too soon to start worrying just yet. Cano and Damon can’t hit worth crap right now. Let’s let the bats wake up a bit…

9. April 21st, 2008 | 11:55 am

I think Yankees can’t blame Hank for their horrible hitting and pitching.

After watching Kennedy in his last start, I am starting to wonder myself how much longer the Yankees can go with Mussina, Hughes, and Kennedy all in the rotation. I thought that at least one of the young guys, either Hughes or Kennedy, would be solid, but so far that is not the case.

I am shocked by the lack of command by both guys, especially with Kennedy. He showed great command last year when he was called up. I figured if both of them struggled it would be because their stuff wasn’t good enough to get hitters out when it was in the strike zone, I did not think it would be because lack of command.

10. hopbitters
      April 21st, 2008 | 12:43 pm

Switching him into the bullpen out of panic was a mistake, but switching him out of the bullpen out of panic would be a good idea. You can’t argue with entertainment aspect.

11. baileywalk
      April 21st, 2008 | 1:22 pm

No need for personal insults. But you can go fuck yourself anyway.
      ——

Funniest thing I’ve read on here in a long time.

Anyway, I agree with you about Hank. My reaction was just “shut the hell up.” He doesn’t have to reveal to the media EVERY thought he has. If you look at what he says, it just feels like Hank is a fan who happens to run the team. “Mike Mussina has to pitch more like Jamie Moyer and not rely so much on his fastball”? What other GM would put this out to the press? That sounds like a blog post from a fan to me.

He’s back to his preening “I run the show” self with these quotes. I feel for Cashman.

12. MJ
      April 21st, 2008 | 1:44 pm

==========================================
      That’s exactly right. It’s not so much that what Hank says is always wrong — it’s not — it’s just the manner in which he goes about saying it. He’s not doing the team any favors by trying to be Daddy’s Boy with his outbursts.

13. TurnTwo
      April 21st, 2008 | 1:51 pm

It has nothing to do with “I run the show.” He came out publically and said he wants Joba to start. Cashman follows up by saying Joba will start, but just not right now.

Hank comes back out and basically says that everyone is on the same page, and he was misquoted.

Yeah, sounds tyrannical to me. Someone get him out of the front office before the Yankees turn into the Knicks!

14. baileywalk
      April 21st, 2008 | 2:09 pm

TurnTwo, I didn’t know Hank came out and said he was misquoted. But he said “I had no say in it last year and I wouldn’t have allowed it.”

“*I* wouldn’t have allowed it”? Sounds like he’s saying he’s running the show to me.

Like MJ said, it’s not that Hank’s idea are bad, it’s just that he needs to keep thing in-house more. There’s no reason to give the media so much fodder — all they want to do is bash the team and portray them as dysfunctional. He helps that image with these quotes.

15. TurnTwo
      April 21st, 2008 | 2:16 pm

yeah, i think i read a post on lohud about Hank came out today with Ed Price (i think) and said he was misquoted.

i understand most things should be kept in house, but to me these are harmless quotes, and its really not deviating from anything that has already been said…

we know he was in favor of trading for Johan, and we know that he’s said he wants Joba starting.

so what’s new?

if anything, it shows he isnt in power, because neither of these things have happened, or will happen… the baseball people overruled him.

16. Rich
      April 21st, 2008 | 2:57 pm

Hank just lacks tact, to the max.

17. The Scout
      April 21st, 2008 | 3:10 pm

Hank spoke as a fan more than as the head of the organization. He’s frustrated, like many of us who hoped the young pitchers would be ready right at the start to show their best. The reporter caught him in a moment of weakness. I’ve been annoyed with Hank in the past but this time I think I would cut him some slack.

18. straylightrise
      April 21st, 2008 | 3:52 pm

People look to vilify who ever owns or runs the Yankees. Steinbrenner wants to win just as bad as we do – I’d rather have an outspoken owner than a recluse who doesn’t give a crap about the team other than making money from the team.

April 21st, 2008 | 4:33 pm

————-
      I’d rather have an owner who would STFU and let his baseball people run the team.

20. MJ
      April 21st, 2008 | 5:11 pm

================================================
      EXACTLY.

21. May 23rd, 2008 | 11:47 am

[...] Hank said: “I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now.” [...]