• April 25th @ The Indians

Posted by on April 25th, 2008 · Comments (6)

There’s a part of me that sees that Victor Martinez grounder that went for a hit in the bottom of the 5th tonight and wonders if someone with the range of, say, Alberto Gonzalez makes that play, gets the out, and then Pettitte is out of the inning before allowing the two bombs (and blowing the game)? Still, as a leader on the staff, gassed or not, it’s up to Andy to pick up the team and get the final out in that frame before allowing all those two-out runs. And, he didn’t – so, this one is on Pettitte.

Oh, and, before anyone starts jumping on that “Giambi’s found his stroke” bandwagon, please, let me remind you that Paul Byrd is Mr. Finesse out there on the mound.

So, now, we have a small losing streak mounting. The next game is on national T.V. (on FOX). New York’s bullpen is somewhat smarting. No pressure for Ian Kennedy tomorrow, right?

Well, let’s put it this way, if Kennedy doesn’t make it through at least five innings tomorrow, the next time his turn in the rotation comes up, it may be Darrell Rasner out there on the mound instead of him.

Comments on April 25th @ The Indians

1. April 25th, 2008 | 11:05 pm

Pettite looked gassed when he gave up those 2 HR’s – Cone commented that he slowed his whole body down and the batters probably knew a fat changeup was coming.

Sigh…at least Albawhatshisface looked solid. Traber – still ineffective.

2. Rich
      April 26th, 2008 | 12:35 am

I thought Jeter’s lack of range killed them tonight, and again, the inability to score enough runs off of a mediocre starter.

3. JPoster33
      April 26th, 2008 | 1:02 am

I’ve mentioned to my Yankee friends here at ‘Nova the findings on Giambi and “finesse” pitchers… It all makes sense now..

Steve, who do you think would be the current Yankee who has hit “power/elite” pitchers the best (as a Yankee)? I’m a huge ARod supporter but I don’t think he’d be at the top of the list…same with Abreu..

However, guys like Manny I would put at the top of the list.

4. carlo
      April 26th, 2008 | 7:02 am

In response to Rich, I think it’s more of A-Rod’s range that ws a problem last night. He wasn’t moving at all. Even in offense I think A-Rod disrupts the fluidity of offense (just look back at the three recent games that A-ROd didn’t play).

5. April 26th, 2008 | 8:14 am

JPoster33 – I’ll look into that soon.

6. Rich
      April 26th, 2008 | 3:14 pm

carlo,

Not on Martinez’s single. That ball was in Jeter’s zone, and as is often the case, he displayed no range.

Do you want A-Rod dropped in the order? Seriously?