• April 28th @ The Indians

Posted by on April 28th, 2008 · Comments (18)

Is it just me, or, is there something cool about a night like tonight? Nothing directly related to the details of this game – just the fact that there was a game. This is what I mean: There’s something within me that feels like I’m getting away with something when it’s pouring rain “here” and yet I get to watch Yankees baseball at the same time because they’re on the road. It’s a hard feeling to describe – but, it’s somewhat like when you were in school, had a test or an assignment due for the next day, and you were not ready at all. And, then, when you woke up that morning, you discovered that there was two feet of snow on the ground and there was no school that day. It’s a first-rate freebie bonus – and, it just feels so good.

To the game…

Mussina got lucky this evening – hanging in there for five innings while throwing 92 pitches. Lots of runners left on base for the Indians while Moose was out there and some batted balls were luckily directed at Yankees fielders in those situations.

By the way, is Jeter now looking less-rangy again at short? His plays on that Peralta grounder in the 2nd and the Blake ball in the 3rd did not help Mussina today.

Gold star for the bullpen tonight – covering four innings and allowing just two baserunners. That was the game, right there.

The Yankees offense? Just as lucky as Mussina. New York had only 10 runners reach base in this contest – but, five of them scored. Further, three of the five runs scored on non-hits and another scored on an infield-single. Death by small ball for the Tribe tonight.

In any event, it’s a win – and, that always makes for a lot less teeth grinding when the head hits the pillow…and for a better night’s sleep.

Last thought: Listening to David Cone, on the YES coverage, in the 9th, having an on-the-air big “O” over the mechanics of Mo Rivera and his combination of speed and movement on his pitches, got me thinking: When was the last time that Mariano Rivera pitched from the full wind-up in a game? Would that have been on October 8, 1995 when he faced Vince Coleman leading off the 9th? That’s just a guess on my part.

That’s a great trivia question, if someone knows the answer. “Who was the last batter to face Mariano Rivera from the full wind-up?” I wonder if even Mo knows?

Comments on April 28th @ The Indians

1. baileywalk
      April 29th, 2008 | 12:19 am

—-

I.e., you don’t plan on giving Mussina credit anytime soon. It seems nowadays if he doesn’t get bombed, he’s lucky. But if he does get bombed, he sucks.

No, he wasn’t great tonight. But that’s two straight starts where he was good against decent offenses. He’s having a positive impact on the team, which most people thought impossible, so it seems like something to be happy about.

Mussina has fully embraced not having a fastball anymore. No one can say “he has to learn to pitch differently” — he has. As much as I wish it was still 2003, there’s a certain entertainment factor watching Mussina throwing his changes, curves and sliders.

2. MJ
      April 29th, 2008 | 8:52 am

A win is a win, even though the Yanks are perfecting the art of playing like shit. The team’s offense is practically non-existent and it doesn’t help that Posada and A-Rod can’t stay in the lineup every day.

Although I’m glad the team is coming back for some home cooking in May, I don’t think playing in Yankee Stadium will correct the ailments this team is showing: age, propensity for injury, inconsistent starting pitching, poor hitting, miserable weather, and some really shitty luck. I really hope April showers bring May flowers because this team looks blah.

3. Joel
      April 29th, 2008 | 9:01 am

A very satisfying win last night. No offense, so-so starting pitching, and a terrific bullpen and they sneak out of Cleveland with a split.

14-13 after 18 of the first 27 on the road. I’ll take it. It could have been a lot worse.

4. April 29th, 2008 | 9:38 am

baileywalk – we must have been watching different games. The one I saw had Mussina allowing 8 of the 23 batters that he faced reaching base.

5. Joel
      April 29th, 2008 | 9:56 am

Steve–Cut Moose some slack. Pettitte often puts a small army on the bases and wriggles out of it. Two runs over five against that team in their ballpark is respectable.

April 29th, 2008 | 10:41 am

—————
      Yeah, I was getting kind of uncomfortable there for a minute :)

7. jeter96
      April 29th, 2008 | 10:49 am

In regards to Jete. One of the plays was just a mistake on his behalf…he didnt watch the ball into the glove.

The other play was one of those choppy hits that can be fielded but with no chance of getting and out.
      Much like the infield hits we had.

8. April 29th, 2008 | 10:50 am

Joel – you and I must have been watching different games too.

If that Peralta liner in the 5th, off Moose, was not right at Jeter (for the out) then Mussina’s line would have been 4.6 IP and 4 runs allowed. Like I said, he was lucky. If the Peralta liner is in another direction, 3 feet either way, Moose is knocked out in the 5th.

9. EdB
      April 29th, 2008 | 11:07 am

“8 out of 23 batters that he faced reached base.”

So you’re saying his whip was just over 1? That doesn’t sound too bad to me. I think most teams would take that from their #3/4 types.

10. April 29th, 2008 | 11:32 am

EdB- no, I’m saying that he allowed 35% of the batters he faced to reach base. And, at that rate, he’s just asking for a big inning, somewhere.

11. Joel
      April 29th, 2008 | 11:49 am

Steve–The Peralta liner was a soft, “humpback” liner. That ball was not hit hard.

And sure, any ball hit in “another direction, 3 feet either way” could knock any pitcher out of any game. Luis Polonia hits a ball 3 feet further up the gap in right-center and the Yankees lose Game 5 of the 1996 Series. So?

12. April 29th, 2008 | 11:54 am

So? He was lucky – that’s my point.

13. antone
      April 29th, 2008 | 12:13 pm

Steve couldn’t you say in almost every game there is a play or two where a pitcher gets lucky and escapes a big inning?

Not that I disagree that Mussina hasn’t been lucky but it’s not really his fault the other team didn’t make him pay for it either.

I don’t think Mussina has pitched that bad this season, except when he pitches to Manny.

14. April 29th, 2008 | 12:27 pm

Antone – some games, yes. Almost every game? No.

15. carla
      April 29th, 2008 | 3:04 pm

I think last night’s game was a *great* game – not a lackluster performance by the Yankees, but rather a solid team performance. They came from behind to win. They won despite an okay-at-best start from the starting pitcher, and despite a low-power night from the offense.

In the old days we used to rejoice at wins like this – we used to say how it shows the Yankees have “many ways to beat you.” Now we’re calling this “luck” and saying “a win is a win”?

I relish wins like this. The Yankees shouldn’t need lights-out starting pitching and homers flying out of the park every night to win. They should have more ways to win. They showed last night that they do.

16. antone
      April 29th, 2008 | 4:40 pm

I would settle for homers flying out of the park 1 out of every 3 nights at this point…haha

17. carla
      April 29th, 2008 | 5:02 pm

antone, I’ll take wins over homers any day of the week. :)

18. antone
      April 29th, 2008 | 6:33 pm

carla, won’t be many wins if they don’t start hitting….