• Malusis & Rubinson On Hughes

Posted by on April 30th, 2008 · Comments (8)

WFAN’s Marc Malusis and Lori Rubinson has some interesting takes on the Phil Hughes situation on SNY’s Geico SportsNite. Click here to see the video.

Comments on Malusis & Rubinson On Hughes

1. MJ
      April 30th, 2008 | 1:20 pm

I don’t have the ability to watch video at work. But before I do, why do I have the feeling that this is a shameless SNY plug?

2. April 30th, 2008 | 1:34 pm

I shared this one because I found it interesting for the following reasons:

1. It’s on Hughes, which is a hot topic today.
      2. It’s two faces that you usually don’t see – since they’re on the radio.
      3. It was a well balanced presentation of the issue as the Apple pitched the question allowing them to take either side and they both went with the side they liked.
      4. Because they both agreed on the same approach for Hughes.

Hopefully, you’ll see more video on this blog thanks to my agreement with SNY.tv.

But, I won’t be posting it just for the sake of posting it. I’ll only post what I think is interesting and what I think the readers will enjoy.

3. baileywalk
      April 30th, 2008 | 1:51 pm

SNY must really be hard up if they’re giving air time to Marc Malusis.

SNY’s programing still feels like amateur hour. Just a step above access television. It’s even visually ugly. They have a long way to go before they become a legitimately watchable TV network, like ESPN or YES.

4. April 30th, 2008 | 2:13 pm

baileywalk – you’re joking, right?

What does YES have that comes close to SportsNite? SportsNite is the NY version of SportsCenter.

YES? You get reruns of the White Shadow, a movie with Yogi, some NBA highlight show, and old Yankeeographies and CenterStage shows. Outside of the Yankees game, there’s nothing of value on YES.

At least SNY is trying to put on some shows that focus on all sports NY.

5. baileywalk
      April 30th, 2008 | 2:36 pm

I’m not going to get into who has the better programming, since it’s a subjective thing. But I’m talking simply about production value. I’ve seen better set design in high-school plays.

And the broadcasts of the games are in this too. Compare the visuals and direction/camera work of a Yankee game and a Met game. There IS no comparison.

Contrast the pre- and post-games. YES blows them away. The same holds true for their Nets coverage. I have no clue who each network has working behind the scenes, but YES easily has the edge.

Incidentally, you name one SNY show and four YES shows (though you don’t like them). Aside from their “Yankees on Deck” rip-off and “Mets Classics,” what else does SNY even have on the air? They seem to do whatever YES and ESPN does (how many “PTI” knockoffs do they air?).

6. April 30th, 2008 | 5:08 pm

SNY is going the Fox Sports/MSG route, while YES doesn’t pretend to be all things for all people – generally speaking they do the Yankees, the Nets, and anything in between that’s relevant to either.

As long as everything in between has Michael Kay hosting it, that is. :)

7. ken
      April 30th, 2008 | 7:14 pm

Steve, I’m with you on all the above:

You have enough cred that if you post an SNY vid then it’s likely to be for reasons other than pimping the suits.

And I do like SNY’s programming. I’m a Yankee fan but SNY does a great job of putting sportsradio on TV.

Keep up the good work
      Ken

8. April 30th, 2008 | 7:42 pm

Thanks Ken.

I must confess that, in my life, I’ve NEVER seen a Mets pre- or post-game on SNY…ever. And, if I’ve ever seen a SNY broadcast of a Mets game, it’s been for no more than 10 or 15 minutes, at best, in duration. Probably a lot shorter than that, most times. So, I cannot comment on the quality of SNY’s Mets coverage, etc. – good or bad.

But, I stand by my comments on SNY’s other programming. At least they’re trying to come up with original and/or live content.

Is it “shouty” sometimes? No more than Mike and the Mad Dog, PTI, Best Damn Sports, etc. You can’t blame SNY for doing what all the other successful sports channels are doing.

And, you’ll never find – at least yet – anything on SNY that’s as bad as those damn White Shadow repeats…that, I swear, are on YES very time I turn it on when there’s no game.

As a Yankees fan, I’m embarrassed by YES for playing those so often.