• Does The “T” In Tabata Stand For…

Posted by on May 3rd, 2008 · Comments (8)

…trouble?

Via the Trenton Times:

Jose Tabata batted sixth and played right field against Portland last night, one day after the Thunder prospect finished serving a three-game suspension for storming out of the clubhouse and going home moments after striking out in the seventh inning of Saturday’s 7-4 loss to New Britain.

Despondent over a horrendous slump that has dropped his batting average to a season-low .188, the 19-year-old Tabata was reinstated by the Yankees prior to going 0-for-3 in Thursday’s 5-4 setback to Connecticut at Dodd Stadium.

The suspension first was reported by Double-A blogger Mike Ashmore Sunday and confirmed by Yankees vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman prior to last night’s game against the Sea Dogs.

With no home runs, 12 RBIs and just three extra-base hits heading into the weekend, Tabata slammed his bat down in frustration following the strikeout Saturday afternoon.

According to team sources, Tabata bolted from the dugout and headed to his locker, where the talented but struggling Venezuelan quickly gathered his things and left the stadium.

The game did not end until the 12th inning.

By then, Tabata was long gone.

“I just felt like I had to go,” Tabata said in an exclusive interview with The Times yesterday. “It was a rash decision, but after talking to my wife, she asked me if this was really what I wanted to do and if leaving (the team) was the right decision to make. I thought about it a little and realized I am not a quitter. I was either going to face the consequences, learn from this and grow, or I was going to run away. So, here I am.”

Tabata admitted he contemplated going so far as to ask the Yankees for his release, a request that most assuredly would have been denied.

Looks like the scouts, back in 2006, were right about one of the Yankees crown jewels.

Hopefully, this is a learning experience for the kid and he does a one-eighty in the attitude department from here out.

Comments on Does The “T” In Tabata Stand For…

1. Rich
      May 3rd, 2008 | 10:20 am

I think “T” probably stands for “transition,” as in making the adjustment from late childhood to early adulthood.

2. baileywalk
      May 3rd, 2008 | 2:31 pm

Well, at least Rich gets it. Sometimes people forget these are kids we’re talking about — literally kids.

3. May 3rd, 2008 | 6:26 pm

His WIFE?

4. Don
      May 3rd, 2008 | 8:37 pm

Don’t all ‘kids’ have a wife?

Do a 180, that is funny, because that is about his average right now….. and where his weight should be. But he has been fat since last season, when he tipped the scales at 220-225.

5. baileywalk
      May 4th, 2008 | 1:13 am

Didn’t you ever hear that it doesn’t take a man to have a child? He’s had a wife and twins since he was 18. That doesn’t make him mentally an adult, Don. I know people in their 30s with a lot of money and a large family, and they’re still pretty immature. He’s 19 no matter how much money he makes and how many kids he has. To think otherwise is plainly ignorant.

I remember when I was 19. I definitely didn’t have it all figured out. I think a few temper tantrums are acceptable.

6. dpk875
      May 4th, 2008 | 1:27 am

I remember reading in an article a little over a year ago that he said he “loved to eat fast food” I thought that was a bit of a red flag at the time, but figured Miguel Cabrera is fat and can hit. Maybe a sub .200 batting average for the month will get him into some healthy habits, and back on track. Maybe the wife is a good thing, looks like she talked him out of his tantrum.

He is still 19 and in AA ball. Maybe he doesn’t make the Majors to 22 or 23 now instead of 20-21.

7. May 4th, 2008 | 8:43 am

Jackson Melian is now 28 and still playing in Triple-A, FWIW.

8. May 30th, 2008 | 12:30 pm

[...] you may recall, four weeks ago, Tabata found himself in hot water with Trenton management. Now, he’s at it again. Via John [...]