• Facing Cliff Lee

Posted by on May 7th, 2008 · Comments (8)

I’m really not worried about facing Cliff Lee and his .096 ERA this evening. When Lee pitched against Seattle this season, they hit him well. Basically, Lee has beat up on Oakland, Minnesota and Kansas City this season. That’s not the same as shutting down the Red Sox, Tigers, or Rangers.

Sure, I would sit Giambi today (against Lee). And, I would bat Cano ninth in the line-up. But, I would do that against any lefty pitcher.

I just hope the Yankees don’t get it into their head that Lee is Sandy Koufax – because he’s not.

Comments on Facing Cliff Lee

1. EdB
      May 7th, 2008 | 12:39 pm

Personally I don’t know that I’d start Cano at all against him. Sadly with Wang on the mound you are going to want your best infield D and with Gonzalez gone Betemit probably isn’t the best option at 2b tonight. But I would rather stack the lineup with righties to the best of my ability if I was Girardi. They have to find a way to break up the lefties. There is no justification for batting Abreu/Matsui back to back tonight.

2. carla
      May 7th, 2008 | 2:44 pm

“Basically, Lee has beat up on Oakland, Minnesota and Kansas City this season. That’s not the same as shutting down the Red Sox, Tigers, or Rangers.”

Oakland has scored the third most runs in the AL so far this season, more than the Tigers or Rangers. And more than the Yankees.

Anyway I’m not worried about Cliff Lee because of his ERA – I am worried about him because the Yankees offense is anemic. :(

3. antone
      May 7th, 2008 | 3:44 pm

Oakland is not a good hitting team, they lead the league in walks and Lee hasn’t been walking many, so it is no surprise that he has done good against them.

Oakland is not a good HITTING lineup to me, I have to agree with Steve on that one.

4. Basura
      May 7th, 2008 | 4:26 pm

Yeah, Oakland’s not a good hitting lineup? All they’ve done so far this season is score more than 10 other American League teams. What’s the matter, aren’t the runs pretty enough for you?

5. May 7th, 2008 | 4:29 pm

11 Blue Jays -19
      12 Indians -22
      13 Orioles -24
      14 Royals -27

6. antone
      May 7th, 2008 | 4:39 pm

I said HITTING lineup…not scoring..there is a difference…if Oakland doesn’t walk they can’t score runs.

They lead the league in walks but they are 10th out of 14 in OPS in the AL (.698) and 13 out of 14 in SLG in the AL(.359). They aren’t a great AVG hitting team either.

Cliff Lee has two walks this season, so the A’s aren’t going to do good against him the way he is pitching right now.

For what it’s worth, as much as we have been crapping on the Yankees lineup, they are in the top 5 in the AL in OPS, SLG, AVG….it’s just the bottom of the lineup is horrible and they aren’t hitting when guys get on base.

7. Basura
      May 7th, 2008 | 7:36 pm

FYI, Team RCAA totals in the AL, to date:
      =====================================

That’s all well and good but I think games are still decided by the actual number of runs scored, not by RCAA.

8. May 7th, 2008 | 10:36 pm

[...] would be very easy for me to just say I was wrong about Cliff Lee and just write this loss off to his brillance. But, I can’t do that – at least not [...]