• SNY WheelHouse: Is Andy Still Dandy?

Posted by on May 7th, 2008 · Comments (8)

Brandon Tierney and Scott Ferrall, yesterday on SNY’s WheelHouse, prior to Pettitte’s start last night, discuss Andy’s performance this season. Here’s the video:

It’s interesting. As I was watching Pettitte’s game last night, I did find myself thinking “You know, as much as I love the guy – and, I do, he’s one of my favorite Yankees – and, as much as the Yankees need him this year, still, seeing the issues that Andy’s having with his sinker and slider drifting back into the hitting zone and getting hammered by righties, maybe the team should think twice about offering him a long-term deal after this season?”

It’s a really tough call – because the Yankees will need starters next season too – just as bad, if not more, than they need them now. And, to Brandon Tierney’s point, you’ll never find a pitcher with a bigger heart and more determination than Pettitte. But, do you want to pay $16 million a season, for several years more, for Andy Pettitte beyond 2008?

Good thing the Yankees don’t have to make that call now.

Comments on SNY WheelHouse: Is Andy Still Dandy?

1. Corey
      May 7th, 2008 | 10:22 am

am I watching the same games as everybody else? I thought Pettite has pitched well this season, except for a few pitches. His ERA+ is 108 which is above average. I thought he pitched well last night, despite Giambi being in the field(I know he worked out of it). Not to mention, Pettite is historically a second half pitcher. Have we forgotten this? Pettite will be fine.

2. gphunt
      May 7th, 2008 | 10:40 am

I think Pettitte will evolve just like all of the older pitchers out there. When you say long term contract what kind of length are you looking at? I think anything 3 years or more as long term, and I don’t think Cashman will agree to that. But maybe a 2 year deal similar to the one Mussina got a few years ago would be acceptable.

Another thing is maybe Pettitte doesn’t want a long term deal either. He’s been pretty open to one year deals because of the freedom to retire after the year.

3. Joel
      May 7th, 2008 | 12:44 pm

Steve–Who the heck are these guys? I guess because you’re part of the “SNY Blog Network” you have to show some of this stuff.

I particularly enjoyed Tierney’s point that Pettitte can no longer go out there without his best stuff and grind out 6 or 6.1 innings and give the offense a chance to win a game–when that was exactly what he did last night!

May 7th, 2008 | 12:47 pm

Steve–Who the heck are these guys?
      —–
      Don’t know much about Tierney, but Scott Ferrall’s been around for a while now

5. May 7th, 2008 | 4:38 pm
    6. jeter96
      May 7th, 2008 | 7:02 pm

Pettitte is still one of the best money pitchers in baseball.

People that try to judge him over the 1st half of the season either
      A) Have never followed his career
      B) Confirm that moaning housewives are disguising themselves as baseball experts.

7. jeter96
      May 7th, 2008 | 7:05 pm

wooohooo..Lets moan about the 35 year old with a 3.77 ERA.

Lets moan about the 35 year old who is averaging 6+ innings per start.

8. Rich
      May 7th, 2008 | 7:27 pm

He would only get a one year deal if he decides not to retire.