• May 14th @ The Rays

Posted by on May 14th, 2008 · Comments (10)

Derek Jeter, after the game, on YES (with Kim Jones): “We needed this one.”

Gee, Derek, ya’think?

Not exactly a great game for the Yankees fan with onychophagia. Actually, for any Yankees fan, this one was probably as tense as a game in May could be…well, at the least, I was pretty nervous over the outcome of this one.

Mike “Money Drive” Mussina now has an ERA of 2.76 over his last 5 starts…and he deserves a ton of credit (and then some) for the “W” on this one. I am truly amazed at how good Moose was tonight – and has been over the last month or so.

Still, there were some things in this game that tell me the Yankees are not out of the woods yet. Abreu’s bloop double in the 5th and that that liner-DP to Jeter in the 7th were big plays in this contest and could be classified as lucky (in terms of placement). If either one of those doesn’t happen, then the Yankees may not win this game. (And, that Melky throw to third in the 2nd was close too.)

I still want to see how the Yankees show up tomorrow before we can start to think about them turning a corner.

Comments on May 14th @ The Rays

1. baileywalk
      May 14th, 2008 | 11:48 pm

Would you get off this idea that Mussina is a “contract-year” performer. He said he didn’t feel good physically last year. And do you really think he had the ability to pitch this way last year but didn’t, allowing himself to be humiliated, taken out of the rotation and put in the ‘pen? That’s ridiculous. Maybe you have no personal pride, but I’m sure Mussina does, and I seriously doubt he took the year off out of (what are you suggesting here?) laziness or lack of caring.

Mussina is making up for Pettitte’s poor performance right now.

And this team still doesn’t look good. Two straight great pitching performances, but the offense is dead. (At least Robbie woke up.)

2. Joel
      May 14th, 2008 | 11:57 pm

Last year, The Captain got a huge go-ahead single in a monsoon off Chris Ray of the Orioles to put the Yanks up 8-6 in a game that was finshed up later in the season. The Yanks were not playing well, had squandered the lead and looked like they were going to lose. I thought that Jeter hit was a turning point last year.

And I got the same feeling again about the double play tonight.

3. JeremyM
      May 15th, 2008 | 7:53 am

Steve, you’ll have to explain to me why it wouldn’t have been financially beneficial for Mussina to have a good season last year as well? I like this site, but the cynicism is really starting to go overboard- can’t we just enjoy the fact that Mussina has pitched his ass off and won five straight decisions without making snide remarks? Guess not.

4. May 15th, 2008 | 8:32 am

Yeah, guys, you’re right – - it’s just a fluke that Mussina worked his butt off this off-season, and is now willing to pitch inside, and it also happens to be his walk-year. Just like it was a fluke that the last good season he had for the Yankees was 2006 – also the last year of his contract. Flukes happen twice in a row, all the time, I guess.

5. Joel
      May 15th, 2008 | 9:58 am

Steve–Mussina has made over $133 million playing baseball. The guy lives with his family near where he grew up in rural PA. You really think his comeback is about the money?

May 15th, 2008 | 10:26 am

Impressive use of the word “onychophagia” :)

WRT contract years, 2001-2003 negate your “salary drive” points. As does the fact that while he has done well, it’s still early in the season, and quite a few teams are struggling offensively.

He had a couple of good months last year too.

7. May 15th, 2008 | 10:54 am

~~~I can’t look into a player’s mind and heart, but does Moose really strike you as that kind of player?~~~

To quote Groucho Marx: The money’s not important as long as I get it.

They ALL want the money – no matter how much they already have in the bank.

8. Joel
      May 15th, 2008 | 11:21 am

Steve–Gee…that is pretty cyncial.

9. Corey
      May 15th, 2008 | 12:24 pm

Steve–Gee…that is pretty cyncial.
      —————–

joel-Gee that is naive.

10. JeremyM
      May 15th, 2008 | 7:25 pm

So explain to me why guys had down years during the era of the reserve clause if performance is so salary driven?