• Rainout Theater

Posted by on May 16th, 2008 · Comments (8)

My condolences to the fifty-something-thousand who dragged themselves up to the Bronx tonight, in the rain, only to find out 2 minutes before game-time that the game was being called. Shame on the Yankees for making everyone jump through hoops (like paying for parking, etc.) only to pull the plug at the last minute – when anyone could have told you that today’s weather was not baseball-friendly.

Me? I’m dipping into the DVD collection and am going to treat myself to my own personal “Rainout Theater.” Scanning my options, “The Warriors” caught my attention. Yeah, it will be 30-years old next year; but, it’s still a fun movie for me. A few years ago, there was some talk that Tony Scott was going to do a remake of it. But, I think that’s now in limbo.

What about you? What will you be watching tonight in place of the Subway Series?

Comments on Rainout Theater

1. May 16th, 2008 | 8:34 pm

baseball

I wanted to watch the Red Sox, but they haven’t started, due to a rain delay.

So, I’m watching the Braves-A’s.

May 16th, 2008 | 9:17 pm

I’m watching the NBA Playoffs with my roommate.

That was a bs move by the Yanks. From today’s banter;

55. Raf 2008-05-16 12:56:20
      The weather is still pretty miserable, I doubt that they’ll get the game in tonight. If that’s the case, I hope they call it instead of having the fans schlep all the way down there to find the game in a rain delay, then cancelled.

3. May 17th, 2008 | 1:42 am

I had a couple of tickets for Friday night but didn’t bother going up to the Stadium, despite the drones on YES previewing the game as if one was gonna be played and advising us repeatedly that the Yankees were going to do everything in their power to play ball.

I guess it’s too much to ask for them to be forthright about the bleak forecast rather than patronizing us with some b.s. about looking for pockets of rain stoppage to play in.

4. May 17th, 2008 | 7:34 am

Part of me wonders how much of the Subway Series hoopla had to do with this too – - like Mike & The Mad Dog doing their show from the Stadium. If they called the game at 3 pm, would WFAN had been pissed at them? Did that factor in?

May 17th, 2008 | 9:56 am

Maybe, but WFAN could’ve done their show from the stadium regardless. I don’t listen to M&MD, did they make any references to the weather?

Besides, WFAN needs the Yankees more than the Yankees need WFAN.

6. May 17th, 2008 | 9:59 am

Would WFAN have been pissed? I don’t know. I suspect Mike and the Mad Dog were more honest with their audience about the unlikelihood of a game being played than toothy and cheery Kim Jones.

When did they officially postpone the game, around 7:15 p.m.? What a joke. What happened between 7:05 and 7:15 p.m.? More of the same wet stuff that had been falling for 12 hours?

Opening Day could also have been canceled two hours before gametime, to save paying customers hassle.

Nothing, however, will beat the slap in the face the fans received before Game 2 of the 2006 ALDS, when my girlfriend watching TV knew the game was called before I did, after sitting in the upper deck for two hours.

7. May 17th, 2008 | 10:35 am

IIRC, the call on the game last night came at 7:08 – really waiting until the last minute…

It seems to be the new Yankees way of handling these things. I wonder, if they were only drawing 20,000 a game, would they treat things differently?

May 17th, 2008 | 11:09 am

————
      It wouldn’t surprise me if they did.

But hey, at least fans get tickets to a future Yankees game :)