• May 17th vs. The Mets

Posted by on May 17th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Another loss for the record. And, yes, it came to the Mets. But, you know what was most distressing about this one for me today?

It was a beautiful day for a baseball game. The weather was just perfect. And, the YES broadcast offered some wonderful shots in their early coverage – via both remote cameras in the stands and from the blimp, up above. There was some awesome footage from the blimp of the two stadiums, side-by-side. And, you got some great location views showing you different angles of the park and fan views, etc. About half-way through the game…which I was taping as I knew I would miss the end of the game because we were going to see Iron Man (it was O.K. for me – not as great as some claimed it to be)…anyway, about half-way through the game I was thinking “I’m going to have to burn this one to a DVD when it’s done. It’s a perfect visual to store for years to come because of weather, it’s Yankees-Mets, you get the footage of the soon to be old stadium and the construction site of the new one…there’s no better video capsule of what’s happening right now in the last season of Yankee Stadium…”

But, because of the final score in this one, the whole thing is wasted. There’s no way I want to see this game again – ever. If I burn this one, it will be in a fire and not to a DVD.

Andy Pettitte did his job today – six and three. Sure, he had that funky fourth inning – but, there were some things there that were, indeed, just plain unlucky. And, through six, we had ourselves a ballgame – with the score just 3-2 (in favor of the Mets).

But, then, along came Farnsworth. And, that was basically the game. Once Kyle allowed those three runs in the seventh, the way the Yankees hit (or I should say “don’t”?) with runners in scoring position, it was ‘turn out the lights’ time. Funny, in the YES post-game, Cone, Kay and Leiter said Farnsworth got burned on cutters. But, in his press conference after the game, Joe Girardi said the long-balls from Kyle came on sliders. Maybe we can just spilt the difference and call them “meatballs”?

Great time for Farnsie to have a reverse Mel Rojas moment. It would have been nice to see how this game would have worked out if the score had still been close through seven. Heck, it might have still, then, been DVD worthy.

Comments on May 17th vs. The Mets

1. Basura
      May 18th, 2008 | 7:08 am

Pettitte didn’t do his job unless his responsibility is to give up the lead. How many consecutive starts has he given up the lead, 4, 5 times? Maybe I’ll look it up. The following guys didn’t help things but Pettitte didn’t “do his job” in my opinion.

I don’t expect pitchers to never give up a 1 run lead but when you’re always giving up the lead you’re not pitching well.

2. May 18th, 2008 | 8:02 am

Take out that 4th inning, and, Pettitte was perfect. And, you can’t blame that third run – which allowed the Mets to take the lead – on Pettitte. Did you see that “hit” by Castillo? That’s 100% pure luck for the Mets and bad-luck for the Yanks.

3. JeremyM
      May 18th, 2008 | 11:15 am

Would Mussina receive the same benefit of doubt? Lord knows he’s lost about every way imaginable, often to little flares, errors, and other flukes, yet I’ve never seen him treated with kid gloves here.

4. Basura
      May 18th, 2008 | 11:42 am

Take out that 4th inning, and, Pettitte was perfect.

===================

But there was a 4th inning, wasn’t there?

I always think of you as a “results is all that matters” guy, maybe I’m wrong but you seem to be forgiving to Pettitte yet not to players you despise. I hope you remember the “not all of the innings count” rule for the others.

5. Basura
      May 18th, 2008 | 12:11 pm

=========

I looked it up. He’s lost 5 starts in a row but he didn’t give up the lead in his May 12th loss.

Granted, he didn’t blow more than a 2 run lead in any of the losses during the streak but he did give up the lead in the other 4 games.

6. May 18th, 2008 | 12:54 pm

~~Besides, Pettitte’s good numbers last year were just a salary drive, and any good performance he has this season will be the same.~~

That’s ignoring the facts. Pettitte’s contract for 2008 was a done deal prior to the season of 2007.

7. June 22nd, 2008 | 4:48 pm

[...] with moderate expectations. But, I liked it. In fact, I liked it more than Iron Man (which we saw last month. Of course, any movie with Ed Norton is usually good. And, Norton gives The Incredible Hulk some [...]