• Tyler Clippard Update

Posted by on May 27th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Remember Tyler Clippard?

Currently, he’s doing pretty good for the Columbus Clippers – now the Triple-A team for the Washington Nationals. Tyler’s stats there, to date:

Games Started: 10
    Innings Pitched: 52.6
    Hits Allowed: 44
    Strikeouts/Walks: 53/21
    ERA: 3.93
    WHIP: 1.23

The Nationals starting pitching this season – with guys like John Lannan, Tim Redding, and Odalis Perez – has been doing surprisingly well. Still, you have to wonder if Clippard will soon get another chance to prove himself (and the Yankees wrong – for letting him go) at the big league level.

Comments on Tyler Clippard Update

1. bfriley76
      May 27th, 2008 | 12:43 pm

The Yankees already have a someone with numbers almost identical to Clippard’s pitching for them in AAA. His name? Kei Igawa

Games Started: 9
      Innings Pitched: 51.6
      Hits Allowed: 43
      Strikeouts/Walks: 51/15
      ERA: 3.83
      WHIP: 1.32

Clippard is still young, and he may eventually find some success on the ML level, but I doubt it’s to the point where the Yankees will kick themselves for trading him.

2. bfriley76
      May 27th, 2008 | 12:44 pm

Sorry…Igawa’s WHIP is better than that. It’s actually 1.12.

3. May 27th, 2008 | 12:50 pm

bfriley76 – there’s a big difference between a 23 year old and a 28 year old posting the same numbers in Triple-A.

4. TurnTwo
      May 27th, 2008 | 1:47 pm

the last thing the yankees needed was another right handed pitcher who couldnt pound the strike zone consistently and effectively.

Clippard has the chance to be a decent back end guy, maybe a long man in the BP, but the yankees already had plenty of clippards in the system.

i’m not rooting against the kid, but it wouldnt surprise me if this was the last time we heard his name mentioned.

but, even if he has one good game in DC, i’m sure we’ll see his name at least one more time to try and stick it to Cashman before Clippard disappears for good.

5. Don
      May 27th, 2008 | 1:58 pm

Yawn.

6. baileywalk
      May 27th, 2008 | 2:03 pm

I think the bigger story is Tim Redding. Remember when this guy was a punchline in Yankeeland? Comes over for Paul Quantrill — a junk-for-junk deal — gets one start and is bombed after one inning? This guy, who basically at the time defined Yankee pitching futility, has become a legitimately good starter for the Nats. It’s amazing. I wonder if Cashman and his scouts saw any of that in Redding.

As for T-Clip: they ended up swinging a decent deal for him, getting back a useful arm. I still has confidence that Clippard can succeed as a fifth starter. The Yankees won’t kick themselves for letting him go (since they have about five million pitchers at this point pushing each other at AA/AAA), but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Clippard come up and do well — especially in the NL.

May 27th, 2008 | 2:32 pm

———-
      I remember even earlier when he was a hotshot prospect in the Astros system. Of course, I was living in the Rochester area at the time (Redding was born there & went to Monroe Community College), so I suppose it was no surprise that I heard a lot about him. Good for him regarding his recent run of success.

Scouts probably did see something in him, but it doesn’t look like he did much to warrant a longer look in both his brief time as a Yankee or even the time he spent in AAA Columbus.

As for Clippard, barring injury, I’m confident we’ll see him in the majors again.