• May 27th @ The Orioles

Posted by on May 28th, 2008 · Comments (22)

Do I really have to write about this game?

Just thinking about it…well…it makes me want to go find a heavy-bag somewhere and just start punching away…rather than write about…either that…or…go find a room somewhere…where I can be alone…and cry. Man, what a terrible game.

You have a 4-0 lead after the top of the 2nd – and then allow the game to be tied, 4-4, in the bottom of the second. Then, you have an 8-4 lead after the top of the 4th – and then allow the game to be tied, 8-8, in the next inning. Then, you have a 9-8 in the 11th – only needing three outs to win the game – and then you blow it…10-9, in the bottom of the 11th.

It’s like losing three games in one. And, that doesn’t even touch all the other stuff…like the errors, Jeter getting picked off, and the 4-2-5 double play (in the 11th).

Funny, just yesterday, I wrote:

Yes, outside of Mo, Joba and Ramirez, the Yankees bullpen has not been pretty this season. And, yes, you cannot trust Farnsworth, Hawkins or Ohlendorf.

And, bang, we see it in this game. (Yes, Farnsworth didn’t allow a run in this game – but, he was darn lucky not to…thanks to Millar being slow in one inning and grounder being hit, hard, right at Cano in another.) Hawkins and Ohlendorf were terrible. Maybe Ohlendorf should be limited to one inning for a while?

La Troy Hawkins? Hey, just add him to the list of “Cashman’s Brilliant Bullpen Pick-ups” – along with Juan Acevedo, Gabe White, Felix Heredia, Octavio Dotel, Alan Embree, Scott Erickson, C.J. Nitkowski, Wayne Franklin, Allen Watson, Felix Rodriguez and Mike Thurman.

After the first game of this series, I wrote:

The Baltimore Orioles are not the Seattle Mariners.

Again, you can say that…and, maybe, just maybe, it’s now time to say: “The New York Yankees are close to being the Seattle Mariners.” Know what the difference is between the records for the M’s and the Yanks? It’s the 6 games where New York beat Seattle this year. Take away those 6 games and both teams have the same win total at this junction of season. (The Yankees would be 19-27 and the Mariners would be 19-28.)

And, what’s up with Ian Kennedy? This is now twice, in the last five months of pitching (if you include Spring Training games) that he’s been forced to the D.L. with a lat/back problem. Leave it to the Yankees “crack” scouting staff to find a 23-year old with a bad back condition.

Comments on May 27th @ The Orioles

1. MJ
      May 28th, 2008 | 9:00 am

1) La Troy Hawkins? Hey, just add him to the list of “Cashman’s Brilliant Bullpen Pick-ups”

2) Leave it to the Yankees “crack” scouting staff to find a 23-year old with a bad back condition.

========================================

1) The alternatives were to give Scott Linebrink a four year contract or to keep Luis Vizcaino for two years and not get a cheapie compensation pick from the Rockies. You roll the dice on major league relief pitching via free agency which is why, just like in the rotation, it’s so much better to build your own bullpen.

2) I won’t even waste my time going through your archives but I know that you were on board with this draft pick. You were also a self-professed IPK fan last year/spring training ’08. So don’t go bailing out on him now and blaming the Yankees scouting staff for taking Kennedy. Your revisionist history is ballsy.

2. Rich
      May 28th, 2008 | 9:01 am

Joba as a reliever likely wouldn’t have had an effect on either of these two losses.

The problem wasn’t signing Hawkins. They did so because he accepted a one year deal which made him easier to DFA. The problem would be not DFAing him now.

3. TurnTwo
      May 28th, 2008 | 9:11 am

MJ, you beat me to it.

and you cant just say take out the Mariners from the Yankees sched and they’d be whatever record they are. the record is what it is, and right now its 2 games under .500.

now they have a stretch of games here where they can make up ground quickly, but they cant win games when the starting pitcher doesnt get them out of the 3rd or 4th inning. if they cant go the next month maybe 5 or 10 games over .500, which they really should, they are right back in contention with plenty of head ot head games to go.

look, i’m all for being a realistic yankees fan, but this post here is a real stretch.

4. Tex Antoine
      May 28th, 2008 | 9:16 am

“The alternatives were to give Scott Linebrink a four year contract or to keep Luis Vizcaino for two years.” Oh, those were the ONLY alternatives? That’s like saying my “only alternative” to shaving in the morning is to cut my throat. What about the “alternative” of hiring a GM who uses a criterion other than how hard a guy can throw to assess a pitcher’s ability? Heredia…Wright…Farnsworth…Hawkins. All we heard about was how they could “miss bats” with their “dominant stuff.” How’s that worked out? Oh, but I forgot…Hawkins is “great in the clubhouse” and a terrific mentor to young pitchers. Yes, he’s an object lesson in how NOT to pitch if you want to stay in the league. It’s great that he came cheap. Almost makes up for the money Cashman flushed down the toilet on Kei Igawa.

As for Kennedy, it’s officially time to stop all this “IPK” nonsense. I think you have to win a game before you get your own grandiose nickname. “I.S.U.C.K.” would be a far more appropriate initialiasm anyway.

5. May 28th, 2008 | 9:19 am

TurnTwo – hey, look at it this way, if you disagree with my post, it’s just another chance for you to post things about me at other blogs, making fun of my name, etc., …. (Nah, you wouldn’t do that, would you?)

~~You were also a self-professed IPK fan last year/spring training ‘08. So don’t go bailing out on him now and blaming the Yankees scouting staff for taking Kennedy. Your revisionist history is ballsy.~~

MJ -if I knew, then, that Kennedy was a 23-year old with a recurring back problem, I probably would have had a different opinion on him. You call this “revisionist history”? I call it learning more about a player.

6. TurnTwo
      May 28th, 2008 | 9:26 am

I’ve never made fun of your name, just the ridculous obsession with equating Brian Cashman to satan. get real.

7. May 28th, 2008 | 9:39 am

TurnTwo – bottom line, how am I supposed to show respect for your opinion, and the right to have it, if you cannot (will not?) do the same for me?

8. TurnTwo
      May 28th, 2008 | 9:45 am

i’ve always respected your opinion. thats obvious in the fact i still come back to waswatching. you’ve got an informative site, and you do a good job at bringing up/writing on topics that are either different from other sites, whether it be lohud or RAB or nomaas, or whereever, or looking at things from a different perspective.

and for the most part, i seem to agree with you more than disagree.

i just think you have an unhealthy obsession with Brian Cashman’s faults, and on that i’m not alone.

9. May 28th, 2008 | 9:53 am

To disagree, is fine. But, to make fun of someone, or their opinion, or right to have it, is another thing.

But, that’s not really what this post is about.

If you want to discuss it, drop me a line.

10. Zack
      May 28th, 2008 | 10:27 am

So just as Phil Hughes is now Carl Pavano because he’s been injured twice for non pitching related things, Ian Kennedy now has a “bad back condition?” The objectivity is just flowing from here! Steve, the back condition never showed itself before last fall, and even so, so what? These are super young kids who are struggling, the chances of them tweaking themselves because they are trying to do too much are super high…

I mean, damn that Josh Beckett, he’s clearly even more of Carl Pavano, stupid Red Sox for scouting someone with such reoccurring blisters. That will never pay off…

11. Joel
      May 28th, 2008 | 10:35 am

I’m channeling Alfred Manuel Martin…

Postgame Interview on YES after 9-8 Yankees win in 11 innings:

Kim Jones: Billy, you brought Joba in to close the game. But we all thought the plan was to have Joba throw 55-60 pitches tomorrow night.

Billy: Yeah..

Kim: I guess–it’s just that we all heard about the organizational decision to…

Billy: Look Kim, it’s my job to win baseball games. The kid’s getting his extra 30 pitches in the cage right now. I got 24 other guys–including three first ballot hall-of-famers–that I have an obligation to. This ain’t spring training. I wasn’t pissing away a game tonight.

May 28th, 2008 | 10:44 am

———–
      It’s Marty Miller’s fault!

13. baileywalk
      May 28th, 2008 | 10:53 am

We heard all along that Hawkins was brought here because of his one-year deal and the painlessness of cutting him if he didn’t work out. Well, guess what? As everyone predicted, he hasn’t worked out. He had a decent stretch in between sucking, but he’s not much more than a mopup guy. So just cut him already. Bring up Scott Patterson or David Robertson.

I know a lot of people were in favor of picking up Hawkins because of the lack of risk, but they had literally half a dozen pitchers who more than likely would have pitched better — and they would have been tethered to none of them, because they could have sent them back down to the minors if they struggled.

And while there’s no reason to panic about Kennedy’s back problem, it’s slightly disturbing that someone who was never hurt in college is now experiencing his second straight year with the same injury. Is this going to keep recurring? Phil’s injury just seems like a fluke to me — I don’t think they even know how he broke his rib — but Kennedy is suffering the same injury in back-to-back years, which is a little unsettling.

May 28th, 2008 | 10:55 am

Tex Antoine: Hawkins is a placeholder, nothing more, nothing less. That’s why he came cheap, so that he gets cut when one of the guys on the farm is ready.

Zack: Exactly. Theo looked like an idiot the first year, and then a genius last year.

15. Joel
      May 28th, 2008 | 11:19 am

Yeah, I loved General Joe referring to Hawkins in the post-game as “not making his pitches.” That was the understatement of the year.

Every ball was hit hard that inning. If A-Rod had hit a grand slam, Hawkins would have coughed up a 5 spot.

In terms of Kennedy: Let’s not kid ourselves, healthy or not this kid is not going to be able to pitch in the AL East anytime soon.

So just to sum up, we have American Idle Jr., the second coming of Tyler Clippard, and a CF with a .695 OPS–and the Mets have a stopper ace in Johan Santana.

16. baileywalk
      May 28th, 2008 | 12:15 pm

Santana hasn’t been a stopper ace. Have you seen him pitch this year? Velocity is down and he’s more hittable than ever. He went into Atlanta will all the pressure in the world on him and melted down in the seventh and lost. Hardly a stopper ace. It’s questionable if he’s an ace at all anymore.

Saying what Kennedy can and cannot do at this point is just silly. Anyone remember Ervin Santana? The kid for the Angels? He was a hot prospect, and then fell on his face, and everyone gave up on him, and now this year he’s hot shit again. He pitched a CG last night against the Tigers. My point is that when someone is so young and so inexperienced, writing their HoF speech or obituary is pointless. (Not that I haven’t been guilty of both, of course.)

And for what it’s worth, Kennedy has much better stuff than Tyler Clippard.

17. Joel
      May 28th, 2008 | 12:53 pm

No, I guess Santana is not an ace. He only has more K’s, more IP, a better ERA and a better WHIP than our ace–and he’s known for being second-half pitcher.

What’s the over-under now on how many more games Santana going to win in the next three years than Hughes and Kennedy combined?

18. baileywalk
      May 28th, 2008 | 2:16 pm

Joel, listen up: Santana pitched a game the Mets had to win, against a rival, trying to avoid a sweep — AND HE LOST. He melted down in the seventh inning and they lost. That’s not a stopper ace, as you called him. And who cares if Santana has better numbers than Wang — Santana is a better pitcher than Wang is (and he’s also pitching against weaker competition). I know that Santana is a second-half pitcher, but he wasn’t last year, and his stuff simply isn’t as good as it used to be. He was a great pitcher; now he’s a merely good one. Is he better than anyone on the Yankees’ staff? Probably. But that doesn’t mean I would pay him twenty million dollars a year for the next six years. He’s overpaid now, will be severely overpaid in two years, and the Mets fans know it (trust me, I hear it all the time).

19. baileywalk
      May 28th, 2008 | 2:26 pm

—–

There’s no “when,” though. Kids have been ready since the start of the season. They had better options than him coming out of spring training. And now you have three guys in AAA — Patterson, Robertson and Britton — who can do the job.

May 28th, 2008 | 2:32 pm

I’d like to know what they have against Britton.

21. Joel
      May 28th, 2008 | 2:43 pm

baileywalk, 2008-10–I’ll put the over-under at 30. (55 for Santana and 25 for Hughes and Kennedy).

22. May 28th, 2008 | 3:45 pm

I would like to say I feel for you Yankee fans but after the successes you have had over the last 10 years and the failures my Orioles have had I have to say that I have little sympathy. I think you guys gotta get back to the formula that brought you the championship run – Get “The Boss’” son out of the damn way much like George was forced out of the way. Start building from within again like they did the last time they stunk. I think the song “The End” by the Doors sums up the Yankees this year. Its the end of the road and time to rebuild. As for your young pitching woes – ya these guys are having growing pains but they were rushed to the majors, and young pitchers tend to struggle. That definitely must have been a painful game for you guys to watch. I mean I turned it off when the Orioles were down 8-4 and I wake up to find out they one in extra after being down in extra innings. Worst thing is the Orioles can’t hit, so Yankee pitching really is struggling. Good blog entry!