• May 28th @ The Orioles

Posted by on May 28th, 2008 · Comments (21)

Since 2004, and including this game, the Yankees are now 69-11 in games where their pitchers allow exactly 2 runs in the contest. Boy, it’s easy when you get some pitching, huh?

Another five total bases for Jason Giambi tonight. He really has been amazing since May 6th. But, to be honest, while I’m happy to see him do well – because it means good things for the Yankees- I do, at times, get this strange feeling when I see him hitting like, well, the Jason Giambi of 2000 to 2002. While I am able to rejoice over his success, there’s a part of me that starts to hear, off in the distance, the sound of “the other shoe” starting to drop – meaning that some disclosure is going to come forward that will just ruin all the good things that Jason has done in the last three weeks (with the bat).

Yeah, I know, I’m a terrible person for suspecting that Giambi’s recent great performance may be the result of some enhancing agent…like the one that they can’t test for in baseball (yet). But, hey, it’s somewhat human nature to expect someone to revert back to old tricks…especially when those tricks were so successful in the past and things at the moment are not going so well for them. If Giambi was not the poster-child for PEDs that he was – and a self-confessed poster-child, at that – maybe I would be able to escape this feeling…and the assumption alleys that it leads me down?

Aw, I should probably stop with this now. I know that reading this will be upsetting to some people. However, I’m just being honest about my feelings here. And, for what it’s worth, I can imagine that there other Yankees fans out there who, at times, watching Giambi hit the way he’s be batting lately, wonder if it’s a “natural” thing. Are they willing to admit it, like me? Maybe? But, then again, maybe not.

Comments on May 28th @ The Orioles

1. Rich
      May 28th, 2008 | 11:25 pm

__

You could have stopped after the word person. ;)

They all could be juicers. At least Giambi admitted it.

2. baileywalk
      May 29th, 2008 | 12:29 am

Since 2003, whenever Giambi has gone on a hot streak he’s been accused of going back to the juice. And though he’s probably as heavily tested as anyone, he hasn’t failed a test. The performance-enhancing effects of HGH aren’t known, and I don’t think I even have to say that if Giambi is using it, he’s not alone. Giambi’s success as a hitter — especially his brand of hitting — cannot be totally written off to drug use. How much of it was his natural ability is impossible to determine, but I seriously doubt he would go back to using.

3. TurnTwo
      May 29th, 2008 | 7:52 am

first, i could really care less about the whole steroid thing anymore. and if he is, i’m sure he’s not the only one.

also, like baileywalk said, Giambi’s brand of hitting, when he was really going well, wasnt just about any type of performance enhancing drugs, but the fact that he was able to consistently hit the ball to all fields. one thing ive noticed in his resurgence the past 2 weeks or so is his ability to take the outside pitch to the opposite field with power. if he can continue to do this, he’ll be able to beat that stupid shift everyone plays on him, and the yankees will score a ton of runs.

4. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 29th, 2008 | 7:53 am

Giambi is not “as heavily tested as anyone” because he has never actually failed a test. He is tested in the same way that almost all Major League players are tested.

And having said that, I for one do NOT start thinking about whether he is juicing.

I start thinking about when he will injure himself: this week, next week, or the week after that?

5. sonnymooks
      May 29th, 2008 | 9:09 am

Your not wrong for thinking it, its possible.

He could be taking HGH, MLB can’t test for it, or some kind of designer steroid (which are designed specifically to beat drug tests), but in Giambi’s defense, he does look smaller and leaner and thinner this year then in most recent seasons, and this is the leanest I have seen him.

Could he be using? Don’t know, but looking at him now and looking at how he used to look (and weigh), I would think he isn’t, and that maybe reducing some of that size might have helped him gain some bat speed.

He does carry significantly less bulk now then he used to.

6. bfriley76
      May 29th, 2008 | 9:32 am

You are all missing the most obvious reason for his hitting performance of late…the moustache. Never underestimate the power of creepy facial hair.

7. cooper
      May 29th, 2008 | 10:20 am

It doesn’t matter to me how he hits the ball. The fact is that if he’s not hitting fans complain and if he’s hitting, they suspect juicing. Steve, be careful about being too hard to satisfy!

Personally, I would rather see him hit. The lineup is much stronger with his power. One other thing to mention is that he appears to be seeing the ball much better. He is now able to lay off of the bad pitches, something he wasn’t able to do earlier in the season. I’m not sure that has any correlation with PEDs….

8. Rich
      May 29th, 2008 | 10:37 am

The Sox troll introduces the negative. How predictable.

9. JJay
      May 29th, 2008 | 10:49 am

Now, now Rich. He’s just preemptively arguing his side for IF and when someone says something negative about his beloved Red Sox (on a Yankees blog). That’s how he justifies things.

May 29th, 2008 | 11:04 am

The Sox troll introduces the negative. How predictable.
      ——————
      But he’s right; I’m more concerned about Giambi’s durability than alleged PED use. Studies haven’t proven anything about PED use & baseball, but studies have shown that players on the DL are less productive than players who aren’t.

11. hopbitters
      May 29th, 2008 | 11:47 am

The performance-enhancing effects of HGH aren’t known

The performance-enhancing effects of any “PEDs” aren’t known. It’s just rhetoric.

The Sox troll introduces the negative. How predicatable.

Darn those Sox trolls bringing the negative and predictable into our positive and unpredictable discussion.

12. alvarof
      May 29th, 2008 | 12:06 pm

Is this a serious blog or is it perezhilton.com? You want a real analysis on why Giambi is doing better:
      Back on April 20th his BABIP was incredibly low …

13. baileywalk
      May 29th, 2008 | 1:18 pm

——–

He never failed a test, but he admitted to using steroids. I’m sure the league tests him more than others, the same way the NBA tests players more often who have admitted to using marijuana, even if they haven’t failed a test.

14. May 29th, 2008 | 1:43 pm

Yes, but, for sure, he’s been tested for HGH zero times. And, he will not be tested for HGH in the near future.

15. baileywalk
      May 29th, 2008 | 2:08 pm

Yeah, I covered that already in my first post. Thanks for sharing. I was responding to the Sox troll who suggested that Giambi is not tested more than other players.

16. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 29th, 2008 | 2:22 pm

Then show me in the Drug Testing section of the PA where it says that those who “admit” to previously using PEDs are to be subject to greater testing.

Its not there.

The league has no right to test him “more”, and they do not.

By the way, kudos to the one individual who recognizes that my point about the likelihood that Giambi will get hurt and miss time was a good one.

The rest of you can piss off.

17. May 29th, 2008 | 2:59 pm

Guys, let’s try and treat each other with respect. Thanks.

FWIW, last May, Giambi was quoted as saying:

“I’m probably tested more than anybody else. I’m not hiding anything.”

18. Rich
      May 29th, 2008 | 9:30 pm

I don’t respect trolls.

19. Rich
      May 29th, 2008 | 10:32 pm

__

But he’s stating the obvious. If one of us went to a Sox blog and highlighted the worst case scenario of every negative thing that could befall a Sox player, we’d be trolls too (or worse).

20. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 30th, 2008 | 1:45 pm

A true troll would have jumped in with obnoxious statements about how obvious and incontrovertible it is that Giambi is juicing and then go off on all of the Yankees named in the Mitchell Report and how the Yankee “championships” should be asterisked or not recognized.

That’s what a troll does.

21. June 17th, 2008 | 11:00 pm

[...] still fear that other shoe when it comes to Giambi doing well. But, I also still marvel at what he’s doing now with the [...]