• May 30th @ The Twins

Posted by on May 30th, 2008 · Comments (26)

Gotta give Mike Mussina a lot of credit for this one. After that first inning, Moose could have folded like an Eddie Antar chain of stores. But, he followed that first frame with five solid ones and kept the score to a point where the Yankees could chip away. I know that some Yankees batters had big days today; but, for me, I give this game ball to Mussina.

“Boom Boom” Farnsworth did make me sweat in the eighth. Kyle really is the Bizarro Mo Rivera.

Strange game for the Yankees bats tonight: 22 TB and 6 runs. That’s now the 4th time this season the Yankees have had 22+ TB in a game while scoring 6 runs or less. Last season, in total, the team did this 3 times. And, in 2006 it happened 4 times for New York. (Then again, in 1998, the Yankees did this 7 times. But, on average it usually only happens one to four times a season for the Yankees – since 1956.)

So, we’re at the one-third mark of the season and the Yankees are exactly at .500 (27-27). Back in January, I suggested that June and July would be the best months for the Yankees to put together a nice run.

Let’s hope that the second “third” of the season is a lot better than the first “third.”

Comments on May 30th @ The Twins

May 31st, 2008 | 12:09 am

Eddie Antar? That’s just INSANE!!!! :D

2. Rich
      May 31st, 2008 | 1:07 am

Those lowlifes tried to pull a bait and switch on a pair of speakers. I walked.

3. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 31st, 2008 | 9:00 am

I suggested that June and July would be the best months …
      _______________

What’s interesting though is your reasoning (at the time). You listed Houston and the A’s as easier opponents and the Padres (among others) as tougher opponents. Houston has their pitching problems but the Yanks will need their ‘A’ pitching game to tame the bats. The A’s are much better than expected and obviously the Padres are among the two or three biggest disappointments.

Bottom line, right now, 1/3 of the way into the season instead of looking at the schedule in the spring, many games against KC, plus the Padre series, are really the best part of the second third of the season for the Yanks. The other AL teams on the schedule are either good, or right now, playing well or playing better than expected.

Of course the biggest advantage the Yanks will have is that home schedule in July. They should definitely make a move then.

The unbalanced schedule as it pertains to interleague play is an advantage too, at least compared to the Sox. We get the Phillies, Cardinals and Diamondbacks, legit contenders all, while the Yanks get the Pirates, Padres and Mets, one bad team and two major disappointments.

Bottom line, if the pitching and pen hold up, the Yankees should be better August 1 then they are June 1 – how much is the question.

4. baileywalk
      May 31st, 2008 | 1:58 pm

—–

Thanks for giving us that all-important Sox point of view, which was not asked for. Tell us what else is going in Red Sox Nation. Please post a daily update on all things Sawks-related.

5. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 31st, 2008 | 2:31 pm

Oh blow it out your ass.

He brings up the Yankee prospects for the next two months, its a perfectly appropriate part of the equation. Or do the Yankees play in a vacuum? Do they just need to play .650 ball the rest of the way, and they’ll have no worries? Or does it matter how their competition plays? And does it also not therefore matter who that competition plays?

I got a message for you, friend: You can be as obnoxious as you want but if you think I am going to go away, you are sadly mistaken.

6. baileywalk
      May 31st, 2008 | 3:19 pm

You tell me to blow it out of my ass and I’M obnoxious? Look in the mirror, you hypocrite. And you might want to be less sensitive when you’re coming to a rival baseball team’s blog and constantly bringing up their competitor — not to mention everything you say is framed in some pro-Sox way.

7. hopbitters
      May 31st, 2008 | 3:20 pm

Those should be some good ballgames on the Sox interleague schedule if the NL teams can maintain their pace (and the D’backs can pick it back up). Not so much on the Yankee side.

8. Rich
      May 31st, 2008 | 3:22 pm

Oh blow it out your ass.
      ____

Keep your homoerotic fantasies off this blog.

I support your right to have them, but not to talk about them here.

9. May 31st, 2008 | 3:56 pm

All, please, take a time out and read the

Community Standards

see the link at the upper right of this page.

This is a warning. Those who cannot follow the standards will not be able to post here.

10. Rich
      May 31st, 2008 | 4:03 pm

Steve,

I understand where you’re coming from, but when this Sox troll is challenged because he insists on injecting his often negative point of view toward the Yankees on this blog, he is the one who has gotten personally insulting.

If your position is that it is OK for him to do that and have it go unchallenged, that’s fine, but then I don’t want to post here.

11. May 31st, 2008 | 5:16 pm

I’ll tell you all the same thing I tell my 4 and 6 years old…

I don’t care who started it.
      I don’t care who was trying to do what.
      I just want it to stop. Period. And, I want to see everyone start behaving. Now.

12. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 31st, 2008 | 7:28 pm

Were I acting as a troll, Steve would have canned me a while back. I have not, and have only lashed out when attacked and falsely accused.

Apparently I missed the part of the Community Standards which states that commentary is welcome only from Yankee fans.

13. Rich
      June 1st, 2008 | 12:01 am

Well, he continues to be disingenuous about it.

One example, he brought up Giambi’s propensity for injuries. That’s like one of us going to a Sox blog and bringing up the recurrence rates for Lester’s physical problems.

But hey, it’s just good baseball talk.

14. Joel
      June 1st, 2008 | 12:06 am

OnceIWasAYankeeFan–I’m curious. Were you once really a Yankee fan and became a Red Sox fan?

If so, what happened?

In any event, terrific win tonight! Way to go Ohlendorf. He showed me a lot in that 11th inning.

15. June 1st, 2008 | 7:33 am

~~I missed the part of the Community Standards which states that commentary is welcome only from Yankee fans.~~

It’s not. All commentary is welcomed – as long as it’s civil.

16. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 1st, 2008 | 8:17 am

Joel
      MJ asked first but here’s the Reader’s Digest version:
      It was the early 70s or so. I was a kid. I liked Sparky Lyle. There was no family connection to the team. In ’75 I was transfixed by the Red Sox and particularly Rice and Lynn. ’78 sealed the deal.

17. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 1st, 2008 | 8:22 am

_______________________________

It just so happens that Post blogger Sherman talked about Giambi’s latest resurgence and what thought came into his head? The likelihood it would end when he gets injured. Its a concern every Yankee fan has and you are just pissed because it came from a Red Sox fan!

And it is not remotely the same as talking about Lester’s chance of a recurrence of cancer. That chance is vanishingly small, according to his doctors.

Is the chance of Giambi being injured the same? Or is it the exact opposite: the odds are vanishingly small that Giambi will play the rest of the season without injury.

18. Rich
      June 1st, 2008 | 2:16 pm

Joel Sherman is a mediot.

Giambi and Lester’s situations are exactly the same in terms of how it affects fans and the games they watch, that is, recurrence or re-injury would cause each player to miss games and impact their team’s chances of winning.

Doctors are wrong so often it’s comical.

Next time you bring up Yankee injuries, it’s fair to bring up Lester, and I will.

19. June 1st, 2008 | 4:51 pm

With all due respect, comparing someone who had cancer to someone as injury prone as Giambi is somewhat wrong, IMHO.

Now, J.D. Drew, well, that would be a good comp for Giambi….

20. Rich
      June 1st, 2008 | 5:25 pm

If it’s Sox Rules, I’m out.

21. June 1st, 2008 | 9:18 pm

~~It’s wrong for a Sox fan to bring up negative things about the Yankees on a Yankee blog. ~~

why?

22. Rich
      June 1st, 2008 | 11:55 pm

Because it is the essence of being a troll.

23. June 2nd, 2008 | 7:48 am

Even if what the person is saying is true? Last time I checked, Giambi was brittle.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

If a Sox fan posts something here along the lines of…and coming out of the blue…with comments like “Yankees choked in ’04 and have been choking ever since” or “All Yankees fans are spoiled” or “Hey Yankees fans, how many rings have you won since 2004?” Sure, THAT, I can see as someone being a troll – looking to start trouble.

But, I’m not seeing that here.

Granted, saying “Oh blow it out your ass” is not acceptable. But, then again, saying “Thanks for giving us that all-important Sox point of view, which was not asked for” is rude as well. That’s why I’m asking EVERYONE here to read the Community Standards and to follow them…or lose their rights to post here.

And, this is the last I will comment on this topic.

24. Rich
      June 2nd, 2008 | 9:49 pm

That Giambi is injury prone is obvious. We don’t need a Sox fan to tell us that. That’s why he is a troll.

25. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 3rd, 2008 | 8:17 am

So again, commentary from non-Yankee fans is unwelcome. Change the Standards, Steve!

26. Rich
      June 3rd, 2008 | 10:09 am

Too bad some people can’t use common sense.