• Giambi Making More Than Pitchers Look Foolish

Posted by on June 9th, 2008 · Comments (9)

It’s hot outside. But, it’s not nearly as hot as Jason Giambi is with the bat. And, Giambi’s doing it against all kinds of pitching. If I’m doing my math correctly, it appears that Jason Giambi has fashioned an OBP of .410 and a SLG % of .443 in his last 61 PA against “power” pitchers.

Well, if you’re going to get something wrong, you might as well jump in with both feet, right?

Somehow, some way, Jason Giambi has made an adjustment this season and it’s been great for him in the past month. What’s next?

According to the “Hot Zones” data on FOX Sports, Giambi is really making hay on pitches that are down and away – see below:

This data is not top secret. I would have to think that pitchers will (or should) start busting Giambi with inside pitches. Jason has not been able to handle those yet – as the stats show.

Will Jason then make another adjustment? Don’t look to me for an answer. I was already wrong on Giambi once this season. Clearly, when it comes to “The Big G,” I haven’t got a clue.

Comments on Giambi Making More Than Pitchers Look Foolish

1. hopbitters
      June 9th, 2008 | 12:20 pm

It’s hard to bust up and in on big guys as they can just stick their elbow into the strike zone and the umps won’t actually apply the rules and call it a strike. And if you miss too far in, Bob Watson will don his cape and float down from his lofty perch to administer justice.

June 9th, 2008 | 12:26 pm

————
      That’s a funny visual ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve, doesn’t the chart suggest that it’s best to pitch Giambi away? Or am I looking at it wrong?

3. hopbitters
      June 9th, 2008 | 12:53 pm

I think the chart is oriented the same regardless of which side the batter is on, so inside to Giambi.

4. gene0714
      June 9th, 2008 | 1:16 pm

I know you mention you don’t know Giambi well, but you do realize he is a lefty hitter, correct? He’s hammering the inside pitches, and having trouble with outside ones. I think that’s been pretty recognizable without even needing the chart.

5. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 9th, 2008 | 1:21 pm

There’s no way that chart says that Giambi hits outside pitches better. All of those Yankee Stadium home runs have come on pitches middle in, and down. Without even looking at the Fox website, I’ll lay dollars to donuts that the chart varies according to what side of the plate he hits on.

6. June 9th, 2008 | 1:29 pm

The chart is the hitting zone from the catcher’s view. So, believe it or not, it says that Giambi is batting .333 on pitches belt high and away and batting .192 on pitches belt high and inside.

7. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 9th, 2008 | 1:47 pm

Well, color me completely shocked.

Donuts for everyone! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. hopbitters
      June 9th, 2008 | 2:05 pm

mmm…donuts.

June 9th, 2008 | 5:06 pm

The chart is the hitting zone from the catcherโ€™s view.
      ———-
      And had I clicked on the link you provided, I would’ve seen that for myself…

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚