• Should Pettitte Return Next Season?

Posted by on June 13th, 2008 · Comments (6)

Brandon Tierney and Scott Ferrall, yesterday on SNY’s WheelHouse, prior to the Yankees game last night, discuss whether or not Andy Pettitte should retire after this season. Here’s the video:

Me? I think Andy Pettitte has learned many things at the knee of Roger Clemens. And, this includes the “I’m going to retire. I’m not going to retire – if you’re willing to pay me well” trick. It would not shock me to hear about Pettitte possibly retiring at the end of every season for the next five years. Should he retire? Hey, he’s left-handed and durable. There will always be a need for starters like that – even if they’re not Cy Young Award quality. As long as someone is willing to pay, and he wants to keep making money, why should he retire? Should he return to the Yankees? Well, if Mussina goes, I think the Yankees have to bring Andy back. You cannot count on Kennedy and Hughes for next season. That leaves Wang and Chamberlain. The Yankees will need bodies for the rotation next season. So, why not bring Pettitte back?

Comments on Should Pettitte Return Next Season?

1. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 13th, 2008 | 11:50 am

Funny, the resident non-Yankee fan does NOT believe that one of the things Roger taught Andy was the “I’m retiring – maybe not, if you pay me enough” trick. I do not at all get the impression that Andy is consumed by a desire to maximize his earnings or to maximize how much everyone kisses his ass or to maximize his stats, either.

He strikes me as a an honest-to-God “family man” (as opposed to the Roger kind) who is more likely to leave the game early than to leave the game late.

Now, as far as the upcoming season goes, I could see the Yankees wanting Andy back and Andy wanting to return so that he can pitch in the new stadium. But I don’t think Andy goes beyond 2009, regardless of what happens on the field.

2. TurnTwo
      June 13th, 2008 | 11:59 am

i think i heard that Andy came back this year including the premise that he would also be back in 2009 to pitch in the new stadium.

i think some of it also hinges on a potential Sabathia acquisition. if they pay for CC, i dont think they’ll pay market value for Pettitte.

this was one of the reasons they stopped their full pursuit of Johan, no? or at least cooled a little bit, knowing Pettitte was back as the rotation’s lefty, and innings eater.

3. drinking40ozs
      June 13th, 2008 | 1:39 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan -

If you are not a Yankees fan, why do you visit and post to this site so often? I would never hang out on a Red Sox site. Why wouldn’t I, you ask? Because I’m not a Red Sox fan. Do you really have that much free time? And I don’t necesarily think your some jerk off troll looking to start fights…most of your comments are harmless and not flame-inducing…I just don’t get why you would be on here so much.

4. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 13th, 2008 | 1:55 pm

For the same reason that I talk about the state of the teams with my Yankee-loving brothers. I know that the Yankees will have a lot to say about who the champion of the East will be; therefore, the state of the Yankees is important to me; and therefore discussions about the Yankee’s issues are of interest to me.

On the other hand, “how will we replace Big Papi” or “what’s wrong with Pedroia” doesn’t interest me in the least.

As to the “so much” part, I work from home. I have too much time to surf already. :)

5. drinking40ozs
      June 13th, 2008 | 5:17 pm

Ahhh, working from home.

I also work from home and it is a glorious, glorious thing. Nothing like being on an important conference call completely nude.

6. K.V.C
      June 13th, 2008 | 8:16 pm

I really hate all the SNY content crossposting.

Andy shouldn’t be back. Enough, have a nice life after baseball Andy.