• June 2008 Survey Question #5

Posted by on June 23rd, 2008 · Comments (7)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:10}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on June 2008 Survey Question #5

1. Don
      June 23rd, 2008 | 2:13 pm

I had predicted 88 wins before the season started, so right in line, for now.

With two/three rookie starters, what did anyone rightfully expect? And that they have had to scuffle to find replacements for two of those rookies, well, that is why I checked: No, It Would Not Be A Failure.

2. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 23rd, 2008 | 2:54 pm

Interesting to see so many wanting to know where they finish before judging the season. When was the last time 87 wins won the division, or won the wild card? I can’t find the info on Baseball-Reference but even if you presume that the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays and perhaps Baltimore are going to beat up on each other, I have a hard time imagining that 87 wins will win anything but an October start to the off-season.

3. mehmattski
      June 23rd, 2008 | 3:31 pm

Well of the choices “Yes it would be a failure” was the closest because i don’t really care about the place in the standings. If the Yankees finish second, third, or even fourth with 87 wins, it doesn’t change my opinion of the season. That many wins probably doesn’t mean playoffs, so then the question is: did the Yankees sacrifice the future to try and save the season? Did they set themselves up for success in future seasons?

I envision the trading of numerous prospects for aging vets in the event that the Yanks are still in third by the end of July. For this reason, I would say that 87 wins is a failure. If, instead, the Yankees finish third with 87 wins, had decided they weren’t going to make the playoffs and were sellers rather than buyers, the stockpiling of prospects would make me happier with an 87 (or less) win team.

4. June 23rd, 2008 | 4:35 pm

~~When was the last time 87 wins won the division, or won the wild card? ~~

IIRC, it only took 89 wins to get the AL WC in 2007.

5. srivinodh
      June 23rd, 2008 | 6:55 pm

I was hoping number 27 wud come in the House that Ruth Built…

but given the rotation, the age and current pace… we will be lucky to get to the tournament..

so yeah.. massive disappointment

6. yankees76
      June 24th, 2008 | 3:43 am

Uh, didn’t they win the World Series the last time that they won 87 games, in 2000?

Do you really care how many games they win in the regular season if they win the World Series?

7. August 11th, 2008 | 8:21 am

[...] back in June, according to this survey, most Yankees fans said that they would not consider a season of 87 wins to be a failure for the [...]