• This Week’s David Robertson Report

Posted by on June 23rd, 2008 · Comments (12)

Last week it was the Post singing the praises for David Robertson. This week it’s the Daily News. Via Mark Feinsand:

Robertson, a 5-11 righthander, was taken in the 17th round of the 2006 draft after serving as the closer at the University of Alabama. The Yankees thought of him as a draft-and-follow player, but after an impressive summer in the Cape Cod League in which he developed an above-average curveball, the Yankees gave him a $200,000 bonus to leave college and join the organization.

“He was a completely different pitcher when he started throwing the curveball, so we had to sign him,” Cashman said. “Since he’s been in pro ball, he’s just crushed every level he’s been at. He’s getting closer.”

Robertson’s curveball may be his best pitch, but that’s not his only weapon. Yankees pitcher Billy Traber, who played with Robertson in Scranton, says the diminutive reliever has three effective pitches, all of which he throws with great control.

“He throws strikes, which is his best asset,” Traber said. “The velocity is there, but he just attacks the zone. He’s in control out there. He’s got good stuff; a good curveball, a good changeup and good life on his fastball, but he throws strikes.”

“He’s a guy you root for. He’s just a little short guy who goes out and pounds the zone,” Traber said. “He’s fun to watch. You’re going to see him. I’m not GM, but I’d say he’s probably the next guy. I think you’re going to like him.”

The Yankees have used LaTroy Hawkins just 5 times in their last 18 games. And, three of those five games were somewhat blow-out losses. It’s pretty clear that they don’t trust him – with good reason.

Why is Hawkins still on this team and why is Robertson still at Triple-A? It makes no sense. What is Cashman waiting for?

Comments on This Week’s David Robertson Report

1. TurnTwo
      June 23rd, 2008 | 9:26 am

maybe they arent promoting him because they are planning on using him a trade bait, and dont want him exposed to MLB hitters.

2. yankeemonkey
      June 23rd, 2008 | 9:33 am

=====

Robertson was only promoted to AAA a short while ago and he’s had issues with his control. I would imagine that they want to give him a little more time at Scranton to make sure he’s gotten over his walk-itis. My guesstimated ETA for him would be post-ASB.

3. baileywalk
      June 23rd, 2008 | 11:44 am

Okay, this idea, started by SNY, I guess, that every prospect not promoted is being kept in the minors to increase trade value is not credible. Could we stop repeating it, maybe?

Robertson wasn’t just promoted — he’s been there for a while; he has almost 30 IP there. He had a mild problem with control when he first arrived, but not anymore. They’re only batting .159 against him! He has 43 strikeouts in those 30 IP. Why in the world are they leaving him down there when Billy Traber and Hawkins are with the big-league club? This is the type of guy who can become your setup man. And with the success of Edwar and Veras, this should be a no-brainer.

4. TurnTwo
      June 23rd, 2008 | 11:58 am

bailey, that was a play off of the other post… meant to be a joke.

i agree; given his performance, he deserves a callup, but i agree they were letting him work out some control issues.

he isnt long for Scranton, and we’ll be seeing him shortly, id imagine.

5. EdB
      June 23rd, 2008 | 1:25 pm

Anybody take a look at his walk rate? Its okay to be effectively wild at 96mph but that won’t fly for a somewhat dimunitive reliever that sits at 90mph. Give him some time. There are several other relievers in Scranton that might not have the upside but are nearing their ceilings and could be useful right now without taking away from their development (basically everyone in Scranton but Robertson and White).

6. June 23rd, 2008 | 1:48 pm

>> What is Cashman waiting for? >>

Trading deadline…? Timing is everything.

7. Don
      June 23rd, 2008 | 2:17 pm

Ca$hman has egg-on-face, that is why.

If he can trade Hawkins, that would be face-saving. Cutting Hawkins shows how dumb it was to sign him [Hawkins].

8. baileywalk
      June 23rd, 2008 | 2:18 pm

Oh, my God, another velocity thing. Robertson isn’t about his fastball — it’s about his curveball. And not only is Hawkins ineffective — he’s invisible. He’s never used. It’s a wasted roster spot.

Comments like the one above really make me shake my head. There’s a guy on the team right now — Edwar Ramirez — who’s about 110 pounds with his pockets weighed down by rocks and he tops out at 90/91 mph. He seems to be holding his own just fine.

I’m not really sure what his “diminutive” stature has to do with anything. I think stuff is more important than size. Though it was thinking like that that almost turned Pedro into a reliever.

June 23rd, 2008 | 2:35 pm

—————–
      Eh? Hawkins was signed to an inexpensive contract, one that would be easy to move or punt if it got to that point.

You can argue that the only reason he’s still on the team is that relievers (Albaladejo, Britton, Bruney) keep getting hurt.

10. gphunt
      June 23rd, 2008 | 2:50 pm

I have to agree with Raf. If two of those guys are still healthy and pitching at league average or better then Hawkins is gone by now.

11. EdB
      June 24th, 2008 | 1:01 pm

_________

I’m not talking about just stuff here. Its the walks that concern me. I’m sure he can get guys out but if he walks guys at the same MiLB rate in the Majors he’s toast. Guys in MLB tend to be pretty selective compared to the guys in the minors so that might actually get worse. Edwar tends to give up the HR ball but as long as he’s not walking a guy every other inning that 90mph fastball is just fine. Joba’s walk rates as a starter aren’t significantly more impressive than his counterparts but he can get away with it because of the heat and K ability. What happens when MLB hitters decide to lay off Robertson’s curveball in the dirt which is obviously most effective when he’s ahead in the count?

Baileywalk you completely missed the point. I’m not saying he can’t be good, but gawdy numbers aside he may not be quite ready. Its just too soon.

I think Hawkins will get “injured” soon. I wouldn’t mind the draft pick as I think he might be a Type B at the end of the season.

12. June 28th, 2008 | 3:12 pm

[...] is reporting that the Yankees have called up David Robertson. No word on who’s leaving the big league roster to make room for [...]